“Beautiful Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was a random stay for me. I had actually pricelined a hotel in this area and I was so surprised that I landed a gem.

I felt like I was at a fancy resort on vacation, I was just visiting my boyfriends parents that weekend.

The cabana's by the pool made it extra special. The grounds are beautiful. Golf Courses, lush plants and a little creek that runs through the hotel.

The best part was the room. It had terra cotta roofs, like a bunglow, wait i think it was a bunglow. Beautiful balcony with double doors. The bed was angled perfectly to the best view. Palm and Eucalyptus tree's, moonlight and a cool SD breeze.

This place was one of my favorites.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

As a frequent visitor of many hotels and spas I have become very opinionated about service and experience.

Each visit to the RB Inn has been exceptional, flawless, warm and professional and it keeps me coming back.

The staff from the valet, to the hostesses, waiters and the cleaning people always have a smile on their face and you can tell they enjoy their job and the company they work for. As a result it reflects int he service they provide and the way they make their guests feel.

Good job! Keep it up and continue to set the bar for all of the others to reach.

Room Tip: Never go without having a spa treatment here, it is the icing on the cake.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had an absolutely wonderful visit to the Rancho Bernardo Inn a few week's back. The room was really pristine and the golf course view was amazing. I booked a bungalow at the spa and enjoyed the quiet, private spa pool and it was really memorable. They have a new spa menu with excellent food and bar choices and it made the visit so easy and relaxing. The spa itself is one of my favorite in Southern California as it is peaceful, has all the amenities, excellent therapists and the private salt water pool/jacuzzi allows you to get away mentally. I will be back for sure and recommend it to anyone looking for a getaway.

Room Tip: I have experienced most buildings and all have been great. I am a return visitor :)
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel two times during the first week of August in 2012.

First off this hotel property is quite far out from any attractions one might want to visit in San Diego. We stayed here because of the reviews. Other hotels in San Diego proper can be very overpriced and worse have bed bugs. Neither issue did we have here.

Be aware that this hotel charges a resort fee; in August 2012 it was $19.00 a day. The parking lot is large and is shared with the golf course that surrounds much of the property. You may have a bit of a walk from your car if you choose to self-park and the lot is full.

The lobby presents very well and was clean. The doormen were always present and greeted us politely.

Our first room was located on the laundry room side of the hotel as well as the children’s pool and we had to be moved immediately because the room was vibrating from the industrial dryers running below. We were moved very promptly to another room down the hall which did not have the vibrating issue. We slept well there until the early morning hotel deliveries started and we had to listen to the trucks backing in and out. I was less than pleased and mentioned it upon check out. Just because I am traveling with a child and a teenager does mean I should be stowed in the worst room on the property.
Lucky for them we had a much better experience with our second stay. Otherwise this review would be rated much lower.

Our second stay during that week- we took a two day break for LA and then returned- was in a different building and was a totally different experience. The room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. One nice feature was the extra sink located outside the bathroom. This allowed more than one person to get ready to go in the mornings.
Also in the room was a fridge so that I was able to keep juice and yogurt for snacks.

There are three swimming pools on this property- none of which could I find a photo of on their web site. All the pools are gated and well maintained. There is a children’s or family pool where they also show movies, and roast marshmallows for an additional fee charged to your room on some evenings (the pool is free, just the extras cost).

The adult’s only pool is large and well maintained. It was a relief to have a separate place to swim where as an adult I don't have to be concerned with children at play.

The third pool really should be on their web site. It is located next to their spa and is for spa patron’s use only. It is photo perfect as you stand at the top of the stairs looking down the hill towards a large gated blue swimming pool.

The property is very big and has lots of paths to walk along to get you around. Be aware that you are out away from most of the city. There are all kinds of critters roaming the grounds: wild rabbits, a family skunks, lizards, and other animals I heard but did not see. Also there is a healthy population of crickets around the pool in the late evening.

The fitness center is small but the equipment is in good condition. It is located next to the spa.
You have to walk a good distance to get to the spa/fitness building but it is a pleasant walk in the evening.

They have a small shop that sells coffee and pastry in the early morning. There is a restaurant on property but we did not opt to dine there during our stay.

One thing to note for asthma/allergy sufferers is the open burning in the fire places. The fumes can get quite thick and heavy in the air. The fumes did not get into our rooms but I could not spend any time in the lobby in the evening because of it.

The drive to most attractions is 20-25 minutes depending on traffic. There is a grocery store on the main road before you turn off towards the hotel. We stayed here because I wanted a clean, quiet place to rest in the evenings. The hotel is good condition since it dates from what appears to be the 1960's.

If I have to return to San Diego I would stay here again if I could not find accommodations in La Jolla.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to be located near the hotel laundry. Otherwise you will be subjected to the industrial drye...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We enjoyed a recent visit to Rancho Bernardo Inn last week. We got a wonderful cozy room with a great view of the golf course. The weather was perfectly blue, making the deep green golf course even more stunning.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had an issue with room safe where there was an "error bar" code on the safe, but a quick call to the front desk along with a short visit from the very helpful security guard resolved it in a snap.

Our stay was very pleasant, serene, and scenic. My daughter loved the property and was very sad to have to leave. However we will definitely plan to come back for sure. This is a gem property among the many San Diego hotels and resorts.

I highly recommend this resort to families, couples, or anyone looking for a well-located, but not too hectic resort to stay. We are not golfers but we loved everything despite only watching people play on the beautiful golf course!

Room Tip: For easy access to the golf course, the 700 building is great. But all the rooms are excellent.
La Jolla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My first impression driving up was of a slightly faded 1960's faux-mission style resort -- extensive grounds, terra cotta tile roofs, beige stucco and concrete brick buildings, mature eucalyptus trees, big golf course. The staff were all friendly and eager to please, but the rooms and furniture were a little dated, and the handicapped-accessible rooms were dark and located far from the pools and dining rooms by one of the parking lots. Lots of lawn, fountains, toys scattered around -- a very kid-friendly place. Nice pools. Free WIFI. I started to get a bit stressed when I realized this is not a good place for anyone in a wheelchair -- pre ADA design, lots of stairs, steep ramps, no elevators.

It is a family golf resort, not a five-star white glove kind of place. The beds are a little rumpled, and the food isn't gourmet, but it has heart, and they do try very hard to please. They gave us strawberries and a bottle of birthday sparkling wine, they have toiletries from Aveda, so what the heck -- the big ballrooms are full of families celebrating Passover, retirement parties are mannerly and cordial, and teenaged girls are doing cannon balls into the pool.

Then the sun went down, the full moon came up, the lanterns hanging in the trees were lit, and I saw what a magical, romantic, charming place this might be under the right circumstances. The moon is reflected in the pool I can see from my balcony. Perfect place to come escape from the East Coast snow. Easy to get from here to San Diego, Palm Springs or Los Angeles, close to Wild Animal Park, Lake Hodges.

Just don't expect perfection. It's good enough -- clean, safe, good for families and golfers, with some charm. Especially under a full moon, by one of the many fireplaces or fountains, under the lanterns in the trees.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pools are pretty but noisy until the pools close at 11 PM. The rooms overlooking t...
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Everything was Amazing!
From beginning to end, by far one of the best experiences ever! Once Darren referred us to Glenna at RB Inn, everything fell completely into place. She was so accommodating by making the golf and spa appointments and by recommending restaurants and activities.
We were pleasantly surprised on arrival, the Inn is tucked away in a very elegant atmosphere, yet the vibe we received was so warm and friendly. Our room overlooked the golf course and had a nice balcony so we could enjoy our coffee before Dennis golfed. Dennis enjoyed both of his golfing experiences, he says it's one of the nicest courses he has ever golfed (he has golfed all over the world)!
I am a jogger so I was impressed that RBI has walking/jogging maps with distances from 1 mile and longer for anyone to enjoy and appreciate the beautiful grounds. There are many areas to sit and relax, read a book or just absorb the scenery. There is a winery in approximately 1-1.5 miles away and has a glass shop, a magnificent restaurant and even a farmers market! My spa experience was incredible! Thank you to Arlene, Carley and my masseuse, Jerri! The best ever! We had room service for breakfast and the gentleman who brought our food was so wonderful, his service was impeccable! We didn't realize we miss calculated his gratuity and I wouldn't have known except for going through our receipts. I saw him later and I made up for it and he told me he was appreciative for the original gratuity…this is a man who deserves a commendation, he goes above and beyond and is a great role model and asset to your organization! Thank you all for your hospitality! Dennis and Mary Beth, Las Vegas

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!