“Nice Hotel if you need to stay in local area.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #134 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Bakersfield, California
“Nice Hotel if you need to stay in local area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Right outside the gate of MCAS Miramar. So if your visiting or have business at the Marine Corp. Air Station. This is a nice hotel to stay in. Nice property, but thats why stay in Holiday Inn's and Express. Their quality of properties almost always are very consistant. I did request an upper level room on southside of building when I made reservation months in advance. Then called front desk to confirm this request a week or so before arrival. Then when I checked in I was told by staff that their were no rooms available to meet my specific request ??? Other than that. Great stay.

Room Tip: Well I requested an upper floor on southside of hotel. Months ahead of time. Both in my reservation...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Valparaiso, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

My military unit recently began usimg this hotel. Despite other reviews my stays have been excellent. I reserved a block of rooms here in Nov and had a 4 day stay there this month. The rooms were all very clean and during the stay the housekeeping staff stayed on top of any needs.
The breakfast buffet was good with no surprises but with everything presented well, a service line that was kept really clean, and all food options done right (no sausages sitting in water, etc). I enjoyed the Thursday night happy hour with a nice beer and ordered a burger and appetizer while watching the football game. The food was good and right.
Conveniently located just outside the Marine Corps Air Base the location is easy to get to from the airport and getting to base was easy. In a way I hope the other bad reviews get more readtime so we remain at this hotel bit in fairness this is a hotel I would stay at on personal travel and they deserve a fair review.

• Stayed November 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband just returned from a business trip and has frequented this hotel in the past. This last visit was very disappointing right from check in. He was first told of a different rate for each of the 4 nights he stayed when checking in. When he questioned this, as the rate differences were not posted on the internet, he was told the rate does change "based on availability". Again, never mentioned until checking in. The next morning when he was enjoying the "included breakfast buffet" he was taken aback when asked if he would be charging the breakfast to his room. When he asked about that he was told "yeah, we used to do that but not anymore." No mention when checking in that the breakfast was no longer included. While this is a clean, convenient place to stay, the changes of nickel and diming guests and not informing them of the changes forces us to choose other clean and convenient hotels in the area. Please be sure to have everything in writing before checking in and just be sure you are getting what you are paying for!

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego North Miramar, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear itech425,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Had dinner in the very small resturant. I sakes to start out with the shrimp cocktail and then I would have a Caesar salad. The salad came out very fast on a very warm plate. The salad was average, a bit salty. Finally my shrimp came out. It was warm and watery. It was obvious that it was frozen and they has just defrosted it. I asked them to take it back. They tried to correct and gave me more shrimp but it was worst. It has a fishy smell and taste. Sadly, wasted food. I told the waiter I would pay for my order since I tried it and he said heave me a 10% discount on the food. Well the hotel had already given me a discount with my check in...so if the shrimp were bad or great I still paid the same. I wish I had either ordered a burger or gone across the street to Canes..both of which I never do.bring your own food as there are refrigerators. I hope the breakfast is better because I will be hungry by then. Ask said, first and last time here. They also ran out of the Pinot Gris that was by the glass after my first glass. They change the wine without telling me. I had to ask them why the change in taste.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego North Miramar, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear B M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations and for that please accept our sincere apology if your stay was negatively affected by our restaurant food. Rest assured, your valuable comments are noted and will be forwarded to the appropriate department to be addressed accordingly. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stay at the Holiday Inn North Miramar once a month and it is such a pleasure. The hotel is spacious, well-kept, and has friendly staff! Jason, in particular, is the go-to man. The hotel has a great breakfast included in the price and unlike most breakfast buffets, this one has servers to make sure you get a beverage and anything else you may need. Cloth napkins and fresh flowers on the table make this a wondeful way to start the business day or a day of touring. This same area becomes a welcome bar and evening gathering place. The bar menu offers sandwiches, etc. and refreshing drinks in a lovely atmosphere. The rooms are spacious and have comfortable beds and pillows. Additionally, since we ar Priority Club members, we are alway welcomed with a snack plate and free water! The parking is adequate, but the spaces are a bit crowded, so be careful. Additionally, there is a great Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room that is not near the restaurant. There can be a bit of extra noise from the del...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
san diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We live in San Diego, but are just a few miles from the ocean and rarely miss air conditioning (which we do not have). During the current hot spell, we decided to book a Saturday night stay using points at a local hotel. This property turned out to be a real winner, and the staff was helpful in all respects. Rare for a Holiday Inn that is not a HI Express, they included a complimentary breakfast buffet, even with a point stay. The room was very nice, with a bathroom that seemed to be remodelled, with plenty of counter space. The business center is pleasant, and the light and air conditioning are motion controlled, so it was comfortable. We were not there on a week night, so there was no happy hour, but they said that during the week beer is $1 at happy hour. We had dinner right in the hotel, and while not outstanding, it was certainly good enough. The Chinese restaurant, Chins, is also in the building. We often go to another Chins (same owner) nearer our house and really enjoy it. However, we were not in the mood for Chinese food that night. The only disappointment at this Holiday Inn (for my husband) was the lack of a stationery bike in the fitness room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I normally stay at a nearby Courtyard, but the rate of this hotel was dramatically less expensive. In addition, they had a solid breakfast buffet (scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes/french toast, waffles, cereal, fruit, etc.) and free wifi.

The exercise room was rather sparse (two treadmills and an exercise bike), but outdoor pool was functional if not a little small itself. The room was fine and the bed was comfortable. I did notice some ants in the room on the last morning of my stay, but the front desk attendant seemed very concerned and called the facilities department immediately as I was walking away after check-out.

Considering the price I paid for the value that I received, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

A word of caution for those leaving the hotel around 8am on weekdays, especially heading west on Miramar: for some reason the intersection of Kearny Mesa and Miramar gets backed up and it could take 5-10 minutes to get onto Miramar. You should take this into consideration when making your morning travel plans.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego North Miramar? Share your experiences!