“So Funny!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 190 Nightlife in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Comedy Theatre is San Diego's nationally acclaimed improv comedy show and the longest running show in the history of the city. Performances every Thursday at 7:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday night at 7:30 & 9:45 p.m. and Sundays at 7:30 p.m.
San Diego, California
“So Funny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I discovered this theater about a year ago and it is amazing. Every show is different which is why we keep coming back, oh and also because it is insanely hilarious! The cast are super talented and so quick, I don't know how they come up with such funny lines so quickly. The shows are all audience participation, which we love. We always try and bring people that visit us to this theater. It is super cheap plus there are good bars and restaurants real close by.

Every time we go it is packed so you need to get there early to get the seats you want. Every time we see a show it is better than the previous one. Especially the last show we saw on 9/13. I highly recommend this to everyone!

Visited September 2013

Tucson, Arizona
46 attraction reviews
“Amateur”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was probably the oldest person in the audience at 78, and there was scattered laughter from time to time by the younger members of the audience, but all in all, I found the evening was strictly amateur night. Just so that I don't sound totally like an old grump, I will say that theater itself was small and had comfortable seats.

Visited July 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
“Had a good time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Highly recommended for an interesting evening of entertainment. Was a bit hard to find but once there our group had a great evening of fun. My first experience watching live improv -- the cast was very funny and talented.

Visited May 2013
West Kelowna, Canada
“don't go....with qualification”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We are staying a few days in San Diego and went to the National Comedy Theater because of the amazing reviews on trip TripAdvisor. We were very disappointed.

We got dropped off by the cab in a dark, quiet area of town, and after the show ended up walking back to our hotel (about 45 minutes) because we couldn't find a cab!

It was improv night and maybe we (ages 42 and 48 for context) don't appreciate improve. Maybe we're not funny people. Maybe it was because it was the Thursday show. Maybe its because some (a lot?) of the reviews are written by friends of the cast? They seemed like nice, friendly people...just not funny. This is my very first negative review ever, so I am not simply a nay-sayer. Instead, go to Mixtape....Incredible!

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“not so much fun”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I found this place by reference in tripadvisor. First the ticket are cheap and that was my first clue, sometimes you get what your pay for. It's a small theater but nice and comfy . The show was almost two hours and I maybe laughed a few times. It was awkward at some point. The actors aren't funny at all. They said starting the play it was improvised... but they started bringing up some weird things that had me lost between acts... Don't recommend it. Don't waist your money.

Visited April 2013