“Great way to see the city!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Town Trolley Tours of San Diego

Old Town Trolley Tours of San Diego
4010 Twiggs Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Old Town)
619-298-8687

Type: Tours
Activities: Group tours/train
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Discover America’s Finest City aboard Old Town Trolley Tours of San Diego. This two hour, fully narrated tour will show you San Diego and Coronado with stops at Seaport Village, Old Town, the Gaslamp Quarter, Horton Plaza, Little Italy, Balboa Park and the World-Famous San Diego Zoo. With 11 stops, guests can disembark for shopping, dining and attractions. Old Town Trolley Tours has a 100% money back guarantee.
Wheaton, IL
“Great way to see the city!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We really enjoyed the trolley tour as a way to tour San Diego while we were there. In the midst of ComicCon, the traffic was horrific, but the guides were knowledgeable and entertaining.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Dartmouth, Canada
“Excellent way to see San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I cannot say enough about how great this tour is. The drivers/tour guides are informative, courteous, helpful, pleasant and best of all have a great sense of humor. The tour incorporates various recognizable songs into the commentary which are very appropriate to the area being visited and greatly enhanced the entire tour. The trolleys are prompt and if they are full, another trolley is called and appears within minutes. I have recommended this tour to 8 friends who are visiting in November, as a group and they have booked a two day pass. We only had less than a day as we were off a cruise ship, so this was an excellent way to get a taste of a beautiful city and was one of the two highlights of our trip. Judy from Nova Scotia Canada.

Visited May 2013
Perth, Australia
63 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We purchased a one day pass on the trolley tour as we thought it would be a good way to see San Diego. We had two guides ponch and scotty and the were both very knowlegable and entertaining and made our trip very enjoyable. There are a good number of stops and attractions to look at on the trolley tour.This is a must if your in San Diego!!!

Farmington, Minnesota, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Use in conjunction with your "Go San Diego Card"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We mainly took the trolley to avoid traffic, parking and the fact that Trolly stops at quite a number of locations that are "free" admission with the "Go San Diego Card". You can also use the Card to get a second day free for this Trolly if you pay for a full price ticket to ride. Check with them for details. If you get the free second day and utilize it, then the cost of the tour might be worth it.

It would be nice if the Trolly Tour worked in conjunction with the Go Card to use that as a selling point. I had to get maps and research that info myself comparing where the Trolly went and what was nearby the stops that the Go Card had to offer. If you do use the two together, you really almost need an itinerary for each day as the Trolly picks up every 1/2 hour from stops and it seems San Diego's attractions are all on bankers hours from about 9-5 or so. It doesn't leave much time to get a lot in.

The Trolly Tour itself was kind of average and didn't feel it was anything that special. I felt the focus was on too many boring details that got hashed over and some of the "scripted" information from driver to driver we noticed would be slightly different so they need to revisit their scripts. I would have preferred more information about a lot of things than a drawn out story on one or two things. There's so much to see!! Tell us about as much as possible!! It was entertaining at times and the Trolly itself is nice to ride in but you may want to just consider public transportation or drive yourself to a lot of these locations. I don't feel most children would get much out of it, let alone younger adults.

I need to also mention, although I think most people are honest, the Trolly only ever required a ticket to be shown at their base in Old Town so I don't know how many free riders we had that took up space. Something may need to change there.

The tour from beginning to end would take about 2 hours. For the price of a ticket, it seems a bit steep for what it turned out to be. You can use the Trolly all day but hours are between 9am and 5-7pm depending on the season. Also know, last pick up at certain locations are earlier than "closing time".

Atlanta, Georgia
35 attraction reviews
“Overpriced, I expected more.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Let me begin by saying I'm a huge fan of Trolley tours. Actually I have done this companies Trolley tour in Savannah Ga. and loved it. This tour was a huge disappointment to me and my family of 5 adults. At $36.00 each I expected an entertaining drive around San Diego. What we got was a driver (Jim) who would purposely drag out his S's into a whistle. It was like nails on a chalkboard. I am not being sensitive here, he would ask a question to the passengers and while he waited for an answer he would hiss or whistle until the answer came. Also, next to no history was told, San Diego is full of history, art, military bases, museums and interesting people. Based on my previous experience with this company I expected to be bombarded with interesting stories, history and facts. All the information we got could have been read in the brochure from the ticket counter. Also the recorded sound bytes that were played were very corny and really irrelevant to the area. This tour was a huge overpriced disappointment, the only good thing that I can say is that we didn't have to drive ourselves and only had to park one time.

Visited September 2013
TrolleyToursSanDiego, General Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours of San Diego, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to comment on your tour with us. I am terribly sorry that your tour was what you have come to expect from Old Town Trolley Tours. I appreciate your candor and can assure you I will look into this situation thoroughly.

All Old Town Trolley Tours come with a 100% money back guarantee that you can easily access by visiting the customer service area of our website.