“Very good food, weird location but it works :o)” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #262 of 4,167 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
San Diego, California
“Very good food, weird location but it works :o)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A confession, I went back twice in as many days...first trip was my first time, second trip was w/my family and I told them I'd never been there...they didn't need to know I have a potential problem brewing.

Having had a fabulous vacation in NOLA last July, I'd almost given up finding anything similar in San Diego. This will be the first of many visitations and we were all happy. The service is friendly but not overly so, competent and fast. The owners were also friendly, more so with what I thought were the regular customers but still nice.

The restuarant is clean, beautifully decorated and has a lovely patio. Onto the food, the joint is in a business park but makes sense in the way that it serves a loyal crowd during the day but is off the beaten path for evening diners.

The food is very, very good, not like NOLA, but still decent. We had bacon wrapped oysters (4 for $8) tried the Oyster Po'Boy, their version of a Muffletta, catfish and soft shelled crabs in an entree form and in a Po'Boy form. I wasn't a fan of their tartar sauce but tartar sauces are all very personal. Their remoulade sauce was outstanding and had I had that in my softshell crab po'boy instead of their tartar sauce, it would've been killer. I forgot...we also had a plate of gravy french fries which were truly yummy. The fries were crispy, covered in some kind of crack salt and layered with with a thin serving of a delicious brown grav

For dessert we tried both the Bananas Foster Creme Brulee and the flourless chocolate cake, both very, very good. The only misstep were the dry, crumbly jalapeno cornbread muffins which at .75 each wasn't a great loss but it was disappointing.

Overall, it was a lovely place for lunch and we look forward to returning again, especially during the happy hour when all the appietizers are half price.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

North Carolina
“We found it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place was open ages ago in Little Italy and then left. We thought it was gone for good and then discovered the new location. Not the easiest place to find and not really near anything. But if you want solid LA comfort food, make the trip. Great food and a nice staff. Takeout is available too.

San Diego, California, United States
“Excellent Louisiana food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Bud's is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is always excellent, and the service impeccable! We love the seafood bisque, and Louisiana chicken.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Augusta, Georgia
“Almost like New Orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Bud's is a great place to catch a New Orleans style lunch. I usually choose the shrimp Po Boy that reminds me a lot of the French Quarter hoagies. You can ask them to spice it up a little if you want. My other favorite here is the red beans and rice. The rice is cooked perfectly and the with a dash or two of hot sauce it is a good light meal. Although it is usually served as a cup, if you ask they will bring you a big bowl. My only negative about Bud's for lunch is you bets come early as seating is limited as well as the parking. Try the food and you will understand why the crowd.

• Visited October 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Nice for a great tasting lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had quick lunch here last month. Food was great (New Orleans style, of course). Not much in the way of ambiance, it's just a good lunch restaurant located in a strip mall near a number of light manufacturing facilities. Good though.

• Visited September 2012