“Wonderful view, nice meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Roy's San Diego Waterfront

Roy's San Diego Waterfront
333 West Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
+1 619-239-7697
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's San Diego Waterfront is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #147 of 4,053 restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Hawaiian, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 1st Avenue
Transit: MTS Trolley stop across the street enar the Convention Center & Marriott Hotel & Marina
West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
“Wonderful view, nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Roy's location is fantastic, with a great view of the marina and the harbor beyond. The food was very nice - my tuna filet was huge, and although it was not well trimmed by the chef there was plenty of nice lean tuna. I ordered it extra rare, and it came out just as I wished.

Visited April 2013

82% Recommend
Atlanta
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Service was fantastic, food amazing and the variety nice. Try the carrot soup with the squash blossom...don't be afraid! It is so good it could be dessert!

Visited April 2013
Swampscott, Massachusetts
“Service Unpolished and Rough Around the Edges”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hosted a business dinner recently at this Roy's locale and walked away more than a little dissapointed with the service we received. Though the food was very good and well presented, our service was characterized by a level of awkwardness, poor timing, and failure to attend our table of 10 people. In contrast to this locale, there were colleagues who reported a distinct higher caliber of service at other Roy's locations frequented in the past. Thought the outdoor bar was an outstanding starting point for our evening, and the food satisfactory, the disjointed disparity between the food and setting compared to the caliber of service leaves this locale not appropriate for the demands of a small group expecting the professional support which is commanded by the setting and pricing. There are many other much better values in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“High Prices, Average Food, Nice Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My friend and I ate here for lunch on a beautiful sunny afternoon. The weather was perfect so sitting outside to eat was a must-do. We chose Roys for its proximity to our hotel. It was after the lunch-rush, around 2:30. We both had Mahi-Mahi. Maybe I just don't like Mahi-Mahi, but I thought the food was okay but not spectacular and, especially for the high prices, I expected better. The service was fine, not that attentive, but I don't like being constantly interrupted by wait people during my meal anyway. I know Roys is a chain because I saw one at Poipu Beach in Kauai a few months ago. The views of the marina and the beautiful weather really made this restaurant experience pretty great. The food? Jury is still out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best Ahi Ever? Our Table Says Yes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Roy's is fairly well known around the West Coast, but us Midwesterners may not be as familiar with this high-end chain unless we've traveled around California or Hawaii. My wife and I have wanted to go to Roy's for years, but the timing just never worked out. In San Diego we had the chance and we jumped at it.

Roy's is Hawaiian fusion food. They are heavy on the seafood, so I really recommend ordering it. I had the mahi mahi, but two at our table ordered the Ahi and both said it was the best they've ever had. My mahi mahi was fantastic, too.

Decor is ok and it was noisy. The place was packed on a Monday night, so that's shows its popularity. Service was good, but not extraordinary. It was difficult to understand the waiter with his very heavy accent.

My rating is based on the food. It was excellent. Some may find the atmosphere too loud. I wouldn't recommend Roy's for a quiet date, but it works well for friends. Given the noise, it may be difficult to have a business dinner here, but you could ask for a quieter area of the restaurant.

This Roys has a great view out to the bay. It is very convenient from the San Diego Convention Center and the hotels that surround it. You can cut through the Marriott. Look for signage that leads you to the covered walkway to Roy's.

I will definitely go to Roy's again and recommend it to anyone. I highly recommend reservations.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere