“Good Swordfish, Good oysters, Nice atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan's Prime Seafood - CLOSED

Donovan's Prime Seafood
333 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
619-906-4850
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 5th & K
Transit: The San Diego MTS, Trolley and Coaster service the downtown area. Visit the San Diego MTS website for timetables and scheduled stops.
Description: Donovan’s Prime Seafood will ignite the senses with an extraordinary culinary experience laced with world-class service. Donovan’s Prime Seafood is located in the heart of the Gaslamp district, steps away from the San Diego convention center, Horton Plaza, and Petco Park.
Madrid, Spain
“Good Swordfish, Good oysters, Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had a caesar salad - good but too much dressing.
Oysters were tasty.
I also tasted my friend's swordfish - excellent. My husband said his crab cake was very good - I saw that it was mostly crab and not bread which was a good sign.
The service was awful. It took an hour to even get our salads and appetizers. When our host said something, it did show up pronto.
Dessert wasn't very interesting - strawberry shortcake.
Our other friends said the scallops were very good - they sure looked good.
Scalloped otatoes were pretty good - the outside were cooked properly - that part was good.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

juliehurley
“Avoid - sadly service was horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were in town for convention, staying close by Donovan's Prime Seafood. We sat down at 7:45 and we did not receive our meals until close to ten PM. During that time, we had poor service from a multitude of waiters - never really knowing who was "responsible". I had ordered a very high end Chardonnay $17 dollars and the first glass was great. It took 45 minutes to get a second glass after I requested and it appeared to be "unfiltered" as they called it. It resembled grapefruit juice w/ parmesan cheese- with a very pungent taste. The waiter quickly responded with a "Its unfiltered, all fine wines are best unfiltered". Just not sure why glass one didn't look like that if it was unfiltered???? At about 9:30 we asked a manger for our check and to forget our dinners- to which he quickly held his hand up to his earpiece and appeared to be cueing the waitstaff to deliver dried out fish that had obviously been under a heat lamp for some hours. The manager gave me the business card but offered nothing to resolve the situation and the horrible experience. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone expecting a quality meal at ridiculously steep prices.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Good service, average food at a price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Four of us enjoyed a dinner and cannot say anything negative about the service. I had the fish special and my wife the filet mignon. The wine selection is extensive though priced significantly higher than the base price of the retail bottle costs. I understand a mark-up but most bottles appeared to be about three times the base price. I little bump up is understandable but there is a respectable limit. The fish was excellent in it's preparation but again at $40 for approximately 6 oz. of Mahi-Mahi with the standard veggies I think this was a little much. The filet was cooked perfectly but little flavor imparted. I would probably skip this place unless I was on a corporate expense account or a government employee using taxpayer money.

Visited September 2012
Key West, Florida, United States
“Best Steak in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

If you like steak this is it, better than any steak house we have visited. It was very close to the Kimpton were we stayed and the service and dinning experiance was excellent. We give them an A+

Visited August 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice upscale restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great food in a somewhat formal atmosphere. Restaurant decor was what you would expect from a nice fish restaurant. However, they did have outside seating which I would recommend if you want a more casual atmosphere. The menu offers a good selection of entrees. Ordered the Chilean Sea Bass and it did not disappoint. Entrees are a little on the pricey side $20 and up. However, they did offer a 3 course dinner option that was fairly reasonable. If you want a nice fish restaurant I would highly recommend Donovan's it is worth it.

• Visited August 2012