“Great Steaks, good value for the $” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,223 of 4,093 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
San Jose, California
“Great Steaks, good value for the $”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We read about this place, searching for decent steak places a reasonable distance from our hotel in San Diego. Since we like visiting Old Town and it was close to the hotel, we gave the Old Town Mining Company a shot (and didn't want to do Mexican food again as we had the previous night). By the name, location, other ads & reviews, I was initially expecting it to be something like Claim Jumper or Outback (size-wise, and atmosphere) but it was much smaller than I thought, and being cold out we were limited to inside in the small dining room.
It wasn't crowded and we sat right away, but if you're expecting a nicer fancier upscale steakhouse atmosphere or large dining area, this isn't it. The tables are more like casual kitchen tables, not restaurant tables, and the dining area is actually quite small.
I had ribeye - which was excellent (good, marbled, tender) and hubby had the tri-tip, also good. My ribeye was also slathered w/ bleu cheese, and if you're a bleu cheese fan, THIS is the one for you. Sometimes restaurants 'sprinkle' it on top...but this ribeye was COVERED in melted bleu cheese...yum! I could feel my arteries harden with every bite! This is the way I would make it at home when I need a steak & bleu cheese fix.
Our drinks & re-fills were on the slower side - for the place not being busy or full - however it appeared there was only one waitress for everyone so to be fair I'm sure she was as busy as she could be.
We would probably go again, if in the area and want steak, and now we know what to expect in case we wanted to make a different choice.
Bottom line is it was good food, though, and big steaks, so it's a good value.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Topeka, Kansas
“Best Breakfast for your Buck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

LOVED our breakfast here. The service was amazing, the complementary blueberry bread was so good we had to order a loaf to go, and the omelets were cooked to perfection. We will definitely go back.

Visited December 2012
Greer, South Carolina
“Old Town Mining Company”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Nice place to drop in and eat while touring Old Town in San Diego. Service was slow, but could be due to the fact we were splitting a plate at lunch. Food was just OK.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“THIS IS THEIR SAN MARCOS LOCATION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

THE OLD CALIFORNIA MINING COMPANY is not listed yet on TA so I am reviewing for the San Marcos CA site right here. Maybe TA can move it over. This place is da boom! We totally accidentally found this place because we drove past Tony Roma's which is next door and no smell to speak of then we were hit with Da Smoke From Heav'n. I stopped and walked pass all four restaurants and then I just walked up to the door at CMC and opened it and was hit with a blast of the most intoxicating wood fired smoker....went in for perfect martini's the way mom and dad had them back in the 50's, great salad bar and then you pick, early bird dinners for about 10 bucks or we had the wood smoked prime rib, my wife the end cut and me a rare cut and it comes with all the fixin's. Our server was all those special traits that a really good server has, plusssss she was just a delightful and friendly and helpful person. She rates 5 stars as does our meal. Ask for Zaneta, She is the greatest.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

On several recent trips down here we have enjoyed very much. Never crowded, service awesome, food good. We have had same server (Nicole) all 3 times and she is very good, attentive, friendly and has a great memory. On one visit we had our dog and he was welcome as well. Bathroom is outside and sort of creepy walk to get there, other than that I recommend highly! Awesome cheesecake!

• Visited August 2012