“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

1370 Frazee Rd., San Diego, CA
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Phone 619-574-6800 They also have Facebook page.
Oxford, Massachusetts
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I expected a little more from this place. Staff was indifferent and food was just O.K.

Visited March 2012

Manassas, Virginia
“NEVER AGAIN”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was actually my third tip to Maria Maria. The first two were very nice but this one erased the positive memories of the first two.

My mother was just flew into town and we decided to treat her to lunch as she was a might peckish from her travels. Given our previous experience I thought Maria Maria would have been the perfectc choice. Wow, was I ever mistaken.

We darkened the door just after the lunch crowd left so we were happy with our timing. The server was warm and friendly but our food took entirely to long come. My wife and I went with the soft tacos with me ordering the fish and her choosing the steak. Being there were two each we of course exchanged one. The steak in the taco was so tough that I had to remove it, cut it with a knife and return it to its shell.

As bas as the food was that was not the worst of the experience. As we were concluding our meal, our ears were assaulted by a quite loud argument between to employees. Following, the apparent loser of the argument treated us to a rant of profanity that I have only heard the likes of during an rocket attack in Iraq.

While this restaurant had a great start they seem to have gone the way of relying on their "trendiness" to keep their clientele. How sad. We will not be back.

See you on the trail.
John Eric

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Loved the food, atmosphere, and music!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Food is great, although I wouldn't have minded a larger variety of their specialty entrees. We ordered the braised ribs with blackberry mole and pine nuts, and they were excellent. The meat was juicy and very flavorful! We only had to wait about 20 minutes before being seated at an obviously popular dinner hour. When the band started playing I didn't want to leave. The front door says you will "leave dancing", and that is certainly true. This is a Mexican restaurant, but there is nothing about it that is traditional Mexican (except parts of the menu). The decor is modern and trendy, warm and comfortable. I will definitely return...for the music as well as the food!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Weird Mexican Food-Great L:ive Music!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Maria Maria has an inflated view of their image. For some reason they have a pretentious attitude that they are serving "inspired Mexican cuisine." But their food is just average and kind of weird. Over-salted and over priced. The best thing about this place is the live music in the bar. Just great!

Visited January 2012
La Mesa, CA
“Creative dishes and unusual margaritas in an art filled setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We booked the private room at Maria Maria, which is in the center of the restaurant, but you have glass windows and curtains you can use to partition yourself off if you want. There is no extra charge for the private room. The entire restaurant is filled with art chosen by Carlos Santana (he is the owner). The signature entrees include such delicious plates as Braised shortribs in blackberry mole sauce and Tequila shrimp. Check with the waitress for the current list of frozen margaritas. We had the strawberry margarita (unlike any we've had before - it was almost a dessert!) and the Key Lime margarita with crushed graham crackers on the rim. Be sure to top off your dinner with the flan!

• Visited January 2012