“Awesome Service, New Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Aqua Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Aqua Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Aqua Mar
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1510 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92106 (Formerly Sun Harbor Motel)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #19 of 40 San Diego B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Awesome Service, New Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Saw this hotel on Expedia, and was impressed by the photos and the rate. Upon arrival, the front desk was very accommodating and took the time to help with directions to restaurants and attractions in the area. Rooms were nice had a very modern decor. Based on the rate and the cleanliness of the rooms we will be back.

• Stayed July 2014

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I wanted to like this place, but I had some major issues. I live nearby and my wife and I were looking for a quick stay-cation just to relax. I found Aqua Mar here on Trip Advisor and it had good reviews, and the pictures indicated that it was recently remodeled and looked good. The service however was an entirely different story. I booked a room for Weds evening and got a rate of $62 for that night, which seemed like a steal. The next night they said I had to pay $100, which I figured was fine. I paid a total of $180 up front. I got a phone call the day of check in with a vague voicemail message telling me to call them back. I called back at around 11am and got an answering machine. Hadn't heard back from them the rest of the day. At about 9pm I was leaving my house I go check in when they called me again and notified me that there was a "plumbing issue" and they were relocating me to their sister hotel, Point Loma Inn. PLI does not look nice in the least, and I wasn't willing to stay there for a stay-cation. I called them back and just asked to be refunded because it wasn't what we were looking for. The girl over the phone was friendly, but asked me to call the 1-800 number to cancel and get a refund. When I called that number I explained to the woman what was told to me, and mentioned that I just wanted a refund. She put me on hold and when she returned she said that they had my original room and dismissed the "plumbing issue". I called back the front desk to confirm and she said that she thinks the woman moved someone else's reservation. We checked in and got room 112. Guess what? There is no room marked 112. When we found it, we walked in and completely heard a conversation taking place at the front desk. Room 112 is essentially a closet of a room that shares a door with the front desk area. We may as well have been sleeping in the front desk area. I do not exaggerate when I say that it sounded like we were sitting a few feet away from the front desk. I walked back to the desk and told them that we couldn't stay there due to the noise and lack of privacy. I assumed that they didn't have any other rooms available based on what they had previously told me, and the front desk girl confirmed that they did not. I then told her I just wanted a refund and we will just go home. I wasn't mad, and was very friendly with them. That room just wasn't for us, or anyone really wanted privacy for that matter. She again told me to call the 1-800 number to sort that out. I call again and the woman says that she can't refund me because it's too late, and that she'd call me back. Minutes later the front desk girl walks to our room and says she is moving us to another room. Ummm... Okay... I thought you had no other rooms??? Upon entry we just knew we didn't want to stay there. This was already a bad experience, the room was small and we were expecting a small fridge since we were just going to be vegging out in the room. I called the 1-800, AGAIN, and asked to be refunded, told her that we didn't want to stay. She said that she couldn't do that, but would refund me for the second night and I could check out in the morning. At this point it was 11pm and we agreed to do that. Aesthetically, they went for the modern Ikea vibe, but they cut corners. The shelf the TV was severely crooked, the curtains won't close all the way, I jumped in the shower and when turning the knob on it just fell right off the wall. At this point, I didn't care about any of this stuff but just noticed how obviously cheap it all was. The icing on the cake... My wife and I got in bed. We were laying there doing nothing, and within 5 minutes the bed completely COLLAPSED into the ground!!! I just laughed. We are little people! What do you do? So much for a relaxing stay-cation. I'm fixing a cheap bed at midnight. We brushed it off and went to bed. Upon check out I didn't complain or mention the bed but mentioned that I was supposed to get a refund. The front desk guy said it should all be taken care of and he gave me my receipt. I got in the car and checked the receipt... Guess what?? Wrong receipt. He checked out some other guy. So bad! I went in and notified him, we laughed it off and I still wasn't mad whatsoever. Just disappointed with the entire experience. Well, nearly two weeks later, STILL NO REFUND OR RETURNED DEPOSIT! I have called these guys 3 times and they have don't nothing. No answer. They owe me about $160-$170 and have not done anything about it. I don't know what their deal is but I think this place is a joke. The funny thing is, when I booked the room the woman mentioned that if I left a positive review on here that they'd take some extra money off my total. I think that that it is kind of messed up, but whatever. I have never left a review on anything, but I could not ignore this experience. I had to share the review. Hopefully they'll see this a GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! Beware, this place needs to get their act together.

• Stayed June 2014
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were looking for a last minute, cheap hotel to stay one night in San Diego. There weren't many reviews but we took a chance on Hotel Aqua Mar and I highly recommend it to others. The room was only $59 and was completely renovated. Everything in the room was brand new including the floor, the bathroom, tv and minifridge. The neighborhood (Point Loma) is nice and is in walking distance to a Starbucks, a grocery store, the water and within 15 min driving to Point Loma lighthouse/Castillo National monument. The staff was nice and helpful. Overall I highly recommend this hotel for a cheap room that is extremely clean and in a safe area. We will definitely stay at this hotel next time we are in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Travelling by car throughout California and was quite surprised with the accommodations here. Clean, new and friendly staff. There isn't much within walking distance but if you have a car, then this is the place to stay at the right price point. The competition in the area aren't better. The rooms are perfect and there is free parking....don't hesitate to make this yoy r overnight stop.

• Stayed June 2014
GuestRelationsDept, Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you ma'am for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. We appreciate your kind words, and are glad that our rooms, service, and amenities exceeded your expectations. In the area, we have a quite a few unique restaurants, the harbor is right across the street, and there is of course all of the necessary stores in the are just in case you forget anything. We have tailored our new hotel to fit our guest needs, and are excited for you to visit us again.
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was quite the value. I stayed on a weekday, so the price was very good. I think they double their prices on the weekends, so I probably wouldn't stay during that time, but I really thought it was wonderful. I feel like the rooms were recently updated or renovated. The room smelled brand new, the bathroom had modern fixtures, the tv was a nice thin HD tv, and it had some cool modern light fixtures. The bed was extremely comfortable. It felt super safe and the location was awesome. I loved the room.

However, I think they are having problems with their online reservations. I booked a room through their website. When I visited, they didn't have any records that I had booked my stay even though I had an email receipt and confirmation number. They ended up giving me a bigger room for the same price as my email receipt, but it was the last room they had. If they didn't have that room, I would have been out of luck. They need to fix this problem ASAP. The front-desk said they've had similar issues.

Room Tip: I would call to reserve a room. Their website booking tool should not be trusted.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelationsDept, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aqua Mar, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Mr. DavidWHowell,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write this wonderful review about our hotel. Our company recently bought and renovated this hotel so everything is brand new. In our suites you can find brand new beds, modern lights, brand new bathrooms and brand new flat screen tv’s.
We strongly wanted to introduce a boutique hotel to the wonderful location of Point Loma in San Diego that was very modern and bright. Because we are only months old we are still working out a few little bugs here and there but we promise you our online reservation program is being looked into.
Again, thank you for your time and review, we love knowing our recent changes helped provide excellent customer service. Please come back anytime.

Public Relations Manager

Been to Hotel Aqua Mar? Share your experiences!