“Surfari's private lessons are great! Phil is the best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surfari Surf School

Surfari Surf School
3740 Mission Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Beach)
(858) 337-3287
Website
Improve this listing
Miami
58 attraction reviews
“Surfari's private lessons are great! Phil is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We came to Mission beach on a family vacation and surfing was one of the things my kids definately wanted to do. Being from South Florida, our surfing skills are nonexistent so we really needed someone who had the patience to teach a 9 year old and 11 year old. Phil had the patience and know how to make this experience one that we will remember for a lifetime. Both of my kids stood up and were able to catch some waves. The lessons were easy to understand, clear and very easy to follow. The equipment was good for the purpose of teaching and they had sizes to fit my rather thin and short son. We are so thankful to Phil! Definately will return if we are back in San Diego area!

Visited February 2012

San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
“Semi-private lesson option was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My friend and I took a semi-private lesson with Surfari at Mission Beach. Phil worked with the two of us, giving us tips and helping us get onboard. One advantage of a 2-person semi-private lesson is that you can take a breather while your friend tries surfing. :) At the same time you get a lot of attention and personal tips (so this is better than a larger group setting).
If you're thinking of trying surfing, Surfari is a great place to do it! They also allow you to keep the board for ~1 hour after the lesson. The rental fees are also great if you want to go back another time.

Visited February 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
40 attraction reviews
“If you want a fun and successful surfing experience, here's the place to go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We recently took surfing lessons in San Diego while on vacation - twice, and by chance we came across Surfari Surf School. We signed up for a small group session (first time with my two girls, ages 10 and 12, second time all three of us again, plus my wife). Phil was our instructor, and he was great! Our youngest was up by her second attempt (after some good dry-land training and stretching), and our oldest was up soon after. Even my wife and I enjoyed early success riding the board many times all the way to shore. Phil was great at tweaking our technique and making it a pleasurable experience. He was excellent as well with the girls. The equipment was good, the shop is very close to the water (especially important for younger children carrying boards to the shore), and we found the rates very reasonable. A great experience overall and we'd recommend it any time as a great family experience.

Visited October 2011
toronto
“amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

went to San Diego with my cousin 25 and little sister who is 14 and we decided to take a surf lesson, I heard good things about surfari so we called them up the night before and made reservations for the day after... we got to the shop paid cash and met our instructor for the day...he told us to suit up and and met him at the beach which was a 2 min walk behind the shop... we started off with lesson on land he taught us the basics on hot to get up and where to be standing and form on a surf board ocean safety....after we carried our surfboards to the ocean and he took us in one by one and when he saw a wave coming told us to get on and gave us a little push..I must say Surfing is a lot harder than I thought it would be bout our instructor was ever so patient and never rushed us....after the lesson we had some free surf time to try on our own...Over ALL it was an amazing experience!

Visited July 2011
Twin Cities
“Patient, Professional, Experienced Instructor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

My husband and I took our grandson to San Diego for his 10 year old birthday trip. He wanted to learn to surf so we took him to Surfari on Mission Beach. This was the best surf school for him that I could have chosen. We purchased two private morning surf sessions during the week we were in San Diego. The instructor we had was Dave. He was the very best. He was patient, professional, and very experienced. The surf school provides the surf board and wet suit. He had about a 20 minute lesson on the sand to begin and then they hit the water. Dave had our grandson standing on the board before the end of the first lesson. He loved it. After the 1 1/2 hour lesson he was allowed to keep the board and wet suit for another hour to practice each day. There was a canopy and chairs for us to watch him from. You just walk from the shop to the beach. A perfect location because for a surf lesson and terrific staff. I highly recommend Surfari Surf School.

Visited June 2011