“The Best Whale Watching Trip!” 5 of 5 stars

$99*
and up
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome aboard the world famous 139ft yacht AMERICA for a once-in-a-lifetime whale watching experience. This luxurious sailing schooner provides the most environmentally friendly and personal wildlife experience in San Diego. Next Level Sailing is located at the San Diego Maritime Museum; and same day admission to the museum is included for all of our guests. Highlights: * 4-hour cruise to spot whales, dolphins and more * "Whale sighting" and "no sea sickness" guarantees * Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages included * Free same day admission to SD Maritime Museum With low sweeping decks offering fantastic uninterrupted views and a deep keel for stability, the AMERICA offers whale watching at its best.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Jersey
11 attraction reviews
“The Best Whale Watching Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I would highly recommend a whale watching trip on the America to anyone, young or old. It was probably the worst weather of the season - cold and rainy. We even received an email the day before advising they may have to cancel and offering to reschedule or refund. Despite the weather, a group of about 35 of us set sail the next day because the water was very calm. We had a thorough safety lesson before leaving and although it was cold and wet, they had blankets available and had put a tarp over a large part of the boat. You could also go downstairs. There were plenty of drinks and snacks available and they even served us hot chocolate on the way back in!
The Captain and crew were excellent. We followed a small group of whales while we were out there and also saw dolphins and seals. In addition, we got fairly close to a submarine coming in to port (a Navy patrol boat stayed between us and the sub at all times). It was all very interesting and exciting and I would highly recommend the trip. Also felt it was a very good value.

Carlsbad, California
“Mega pod of grey whales + hundreds of dolphins seen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've spent an amazing couple of hours on the "America" last Monday following and watching a group of 10-15 grey whales moving up and down where we were about to see their tails a lot of times. There were no motor noises that could have disturbed the quietness and beauty of this sight. It was so relaxing watching the slow movements of this pod... . Then - all at once - we discovered a huge amount of white splashes on the waterfront way in front of our ship. It must have been hundreds of dolphins. The Captain changed his direction immediately to bring us closer to these which he succeeded in doing. We were being rewarded: a whole bunch of dolphins kept jumping out of the water right by our ship - they seemed to have fun doing this. Unfortunately time was over and we had to head back towards San Diego Bay. The crew had already prolongthened our trip enormously to have us passengers enjoy these extraordinary views - thanks to those 4 guys + captain!! And a special thank you to this wonderful "sailor of former times" who made those 4 hours a very cheerful and entertaining time for us and especially for the children by making jokes, telling them stories and interesting facts about sea life and especially by teaching them a whole lot about whales. Our kids did not have a minute being bored... and that is quite something with 2 ten-year-olds! This trip cannot be beaten by any other whale waching tour any more... . I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone.
The 4 Germans

San Diego, California
“Beyond Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We wanted to introduce our 6 year old granddaughter to whale watching. WHAT AN AMAZING DAY we had. Since my husband, grandson, and I have been whale watching many times and many locations we thought we would give the sailing trip a try. First of all, we saw the most amazing large pod of grey whales. I counted 12 together, like all together, not just during the trip. What a sight to see several flukes splashing at once. My granddaughter will never forget this trip. Now, onto the sailboat and crew. I loved the costumed second mate, Al. He did an excellent job facilitating the trip. Great information, great people skills, great with the kids and adults. The sailboat lived up to the advertisement-very smooth sailing, no seasickness feeling, and I get "carsick" riding a horse!! We were pleased with the snacks and drinks served with the admission. That was a nice extra. When we hit open water and it was a little chilly they had small blankets available for your comfort. We have "snowbird" company arriving soon and I can hardly wait to take them out on Next Level sailing's whale watch!

Texas
“A must for anyone in San Diego or visiting!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

An amazing afternoon and perfect for whale watching!!
I first experienced this trip last Friday where we experienced dolphins, a large pod of whales of approximately 7. We saw a number of Navy ships and a nuclear submarine set sail out of the San Diego bay. It was such a beautiful day and experience, I returned the following Monday for a second time.
Today, we saw a huge pod of 10-15 whales and a wave of dolphins across the horizon. After watching the whales...up to 4 tails at a time. We headed to watch the dolphins swimming....almost appearing as though the water was boiling... there were so many.
A beautiful day of sailing....on the deck of this sailing yacht, regardless of what you may see!

San Diego
4 attraction reviews
“Sailing San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

It was another beautiful, sunny San Diego day. One look at the harbor was all the encouragement I needed to take a spur of the moment sailing trip. I had heard about Next Level Sailing and had hoped to get on the America for whale watching tour, but there were not any available. Instead I took my mom out on one of America's Cup 80 foot sail boats.

The crew members made our trip enjoyable, allowing us to help with sails and take the wheel if we wanted. Just relaxing and enjoying the day was okay too. The crew were relaxed and easy going, but also had a lot of history and information to share with us not only about the boat we were sailing on, but also points of interest in the harbor.

This is a great San Diego activity for adults and families with teens. Tickets also included entrance to the other boats and submarines at the Maritime Museum. We enjoyed walking through the ships and learning about ship life. I am looking forward to my next trip on the America for whale watching.