“Just leave me here and I'll be happy...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Upstart Crow

Upstart Crow
835 W. Harbor Drive at Kettner Boulevard, Seaport Village, San Diego, CA (Downtown)
1-619-232-4855
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 57 Shopping in San Diego
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: An amusing little bookstore filled with eclectic and charming curios, books, stationery, toys and San Diego-related literature.
United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Just leave me here and I'll be happy...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Lovely unpretentious little bookstore / coffee shop that carries a wonderful range of both fiction & non-fiction titles, an amusing selection of the novel and the quirky (toys, novelties, postcards, ceramics, bags etc) and does a great line in delicious coffees (hot & cold) & cakes too.

It's always bright and welcoming and for me at least there's no better way to wind up a walk along the seafront and stroll around Seaport Village than to spend an hour or so quietly browsing amongst the shelves and stacks, and then sitting upstairs sipping something strong, hot and frothy and letting the world outside just get on with it.

Wonderful place. I love it.

Visited February 2012

Vancouver, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I love reading books and I love local bookstore. Upstart Crow is one of the best places to spend time in my visit to Seaport Village. I was attracted by the fresh coffee brewing smell and decided to get one. They do make great coffee! They carry a variety of games, books and souvenirs. They also have a great selection of novels.

Visited October 2012
“Nice place to enjoy San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I like the mix of coffee and books at this place. I had just a few issues--first, the bagels tasted about a day old. Second, I'm sure they have had shoplifting issues but still, the sign telling us that we are on camera, and the TV monitor showing multiple views of the store, sort of takes away from the laid back Southern California vibe.

Visited November 2012
key west
27 attraction reviews
“This is a really great place to waste an afternoon or several!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great reading material, excellent coffe shop and occassional entertainment. I enjoyed all of my visits to this book store. A wide variety of novelties, confections and reading materials including maps can be found here. Inside and outside seating is available. Game tables are available in the coffee shop dining area as well.

Visited October 2011
Trondheim, Norway
6 attraction reviews
“A wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Seaport Village is a charming place with lots of charming little shops, but the most charming of them all is definitely the Upstart Crow. This is a combined bookstore and coffee house. The two aren't clearly separated and you can drink your coffee while playing a game or checking out the fiction books. There is also an upstairs area with non-fiction books and children's literature, in addition to the books and great selection of gifts downstairs. It's not a very big bookstore, but I found a couple of books I haven't seen elsewhere.

Visited July 2012