“Perfect for young People!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vantaggio Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Vantaggio Suites
You added Vantaggio Suites to your Saves list
1736 State St, San Diego, CA   |
Bern, Switzerland
“Perfect for young People!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

The Vantaggio Suites provides everything what you need for a longer stay at San Diego. The Vantaggio is very attractive for young People with its Partys every weekend. The Rooms are basic concerning the cleanliness and equipment.
You can reach Downtown in 10mins by feet. The nearest Trolley station is around 5 mins far.

For better sleep quality choose a room in the upper levels of the building.
The provided free WI-FI is poor, too many users...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

I got many bug bites and found bed bugs in my room. When I spoke to the hotel owner he said, "There is nothing I can do."

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Leader
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

I lived in San Diego for 1 month in Vantaggio Broadway. Attention: there are two Vantaggios: State Street and Broadway.
I rented 2 room apartment. I liked so much because there is a private parking space (garage), is close a grocerys, atm, gas station, supermarket, bakery.
The neighborhood is wonderful: the building is very quiet, the only sound that you listen is a airplanes landing (because vantaggio broadway is close to airport).
There is a laundry (first floor), but you need pay $1,25 for wash and $ 1,00 for dry your clothes. There is a free wi-fi.
Negative point: do NOT have an office at the Broadway location and if you desire buy something by web, you need wait the delivery in your apartment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Valencia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

This hotel is awesome. No matter if you travel alone, with your friends or your couple, you will have a really great time and make a lot of friends. Also the place were is located: Little Italy, is very beautiful and near to the center of San Diego. This hotel is highly recommendable.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I stayed here for two weeks and base my review on the aggregate visit and observations of both properties.

First, know that there are two locations for Vantaggio Suites in San Diego: the State Street property, which is like a very run down and poorly managed combination of youth hostel and frat house, and the Broadway Street property, which is comprised of several individually-owned units thrown into the Vantaggio Suites rental pool. It seemed like a poor rendition of a time-share situation; however, there was no effective management or oversight to speak of and there would certainly not be any takers were this a "real" time share property.

Pros: State Street property is right on the edge of Little Italy in downtown San Diego, directly across the street from Amici Park. There is easy I-5 freeway access, and plenty of Italian restaurants and shops easily within walking distance of less than a block. And with a short walk toward the San Diego bay, this place has got location, location, location (but no parking!). There are common areas like you would find in a frat house as well as a laundry room. It is a highly international clientele, with Japanese advertisements and postings all over the place. Broadway Avenue property is further east from San Diego, located on Broadway between 26th and 27th Streets past the East Village area. It's a fairly residential area but is quite unsafe in the evenings. There are bars on the windows and a gated entrance and gated garage (which is included in the room price). The area is very Hispanic, and there are a few Mexican restaurants within walking distance (but I'd recommend only do this during daylight hours). There's a fire station within a block, so expect to hear lots of sirens. Rooms come with balconies and kitchen facilities, complete with full-sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, stove. There is unlimited wired internet access. There is a small TV, about the size of a 17" computer flat screen.

Cons: First let me say that I am jaded about this place and would absolutely NOT recommend it to anyone. This is due to the fact that I had two "accidents" on the property and sustained injuries and bruises, and I gave up trying to assign responsibility for the poor condition of not only the elevator but the emergency and stairwell access. The elevator broke, with me in it, and dropped a floor very quickly. I was thrown to the floor injuring my back and left side/hip/leg. To add insult to injury, neither the alarm nor the doors worked so I was trapped inside. Calls to the management office were futile and they declined knowledge or responsibility to the property, so I called 911. The firemen had me out in about 20 minutes; however, they could not find the stairs (because the stairs were unmarked, and they are also inaccessible from outside the stairwell meaning that you can get out but you can't get in). We had to walk completely around the block (on my injured hip and leg and back, no less) in order to get into the complex. Anyway, to make a horrible story shorter, Vantaggio Suites management and employees, NNJaescke Property Management and employees, and the owner of the actual unit all pointed to each other and the State of California for responsibility for the malfunctioning elevator and my injuries. By the end of my stay there, I felt like it was my own fault.

Other cons for Vantaggio Suites at Broadway:
- Filthy dirty. Old, ragged carpet that was not only frayed but was a trip hazard.
- Old dirty curtains. When you pulled the fabric curtains opened, you held your breath that the curtain rod would not collapse, and you literally had to unstick your hand from the dirty fabric.
- Damaged screens with holes. Place was so dirty that there were spider webs (inside!) and bugs flying in and out. With no air circulation, no fan, and no air conditioning, and weather in the 100 degree range, I had no choice but to leave the windows opened.
- Murphy bed. It was down when I arrived, which was a good thing because I could not get it to raise or go back into the wall.
- Stinks! This place smells like old garbage. Though it is getting a facelift, repainting, and fixing the front courtyard area, it is still a very old building that resembles a converted flop house or homeless shelter.
- Dishes and utensils provided were well used and dirty. Though there was a dishwasher, apparently the previous occupant had not used it and nobody checked (or they checked but did not care). Dishes were past spotty ... they had grime on them. I promptly threw every dish and pan I could find into the dishwasher and ran them myself.
- Plastic utensils (spoon, spatula) they had provided were melted in half and unusable, so I took them to the front desk where they promptly laughed me out of the office. I ended up purchasing my own set and taking them with me.
- Combo tub and shower were in a decent sized bathroom area. However, it was a very old metal tub (read: slippery). Because of a fall, I ended up purchasing my own bath mat.
- Old construction! This means that the walls are thin, and the permanent apartment residents do have their own TVs and stereos that echo around the complex. It's shaped in a square with the courtyard in the middle, so the noise bounces inside the place. Also, the couple on the 4th floor (the top floor) had hardwood floors and sounded like the walked everywhere with tap shoes on.
- Remember that this operates much like a time share, so you do not have cleaning service. If you desire, they can schedule once per week refreshment/upkeep cleaning, for $150 per month.

I would have run screaming in another direction within 10 minutes of arriving there and gone to another property if given the choice. However, the entire stay would have been non-refundable. When I voiced my concerns to the management at the front desk, the response was "you can leave whenever you want, but there's no way we're giving you back any money."

You have been warned ... I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Vantaggio Suites? Share your experiences!