“Great Hotel, but thieves working Housekeeping.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Trolley Tickets
Ranked #23 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Providenciales
“Great Hotel, but thieves working Housekeeping.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I am currently staying at this hotel and have had a wonderful experience so far with one exception. I awoke this morning and went to start my Ipod for some music and couldnt find it. I went through all of my belongings and the entire room and no luck. I am absolutely positive that my Ipod was next to my computer with its cord (which is still here) but it has mysteriously disappeared. To top it off, I left a note in my room asking for my Ipod to be returned and when i got back tonight the note had been removed and still no Ipod. The only people other than myself that have entered my room are housekeeping. When I called the front desk they said nothing other than that they would follow up with housekeeping. I am not one to point fingers, but I do not like being robbed. If you decide to stay here make sure you hide your valuables.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

This hotel is new, so obviously the cleanliness and accomodations are great. For the first time...EVER... It was the service staff that made it memorable, specifically the breakfast attendants. It has been my experience that service staff that work the early morning shifts in hotels are generally grumpy and could care less about the customers... Definately not true at this hotel! They made breakfast a joy... They were engaging, remembered us and made our stay FUN! Kudos gals (and guy) for reinventing your position. We just had to get a pic of them to include in our photos of the trip... And they took a great pic (posing with our travel mascot)... A picture speaks a thousand words and you can just see that they work well as a team and have turned a generally unpleasant job into a VERY important part of the whole hotel experience. Keep this group together and your success is inevitable... Again thumbs up from KC--- Jared/Kathi/Limo , and of course Sparkey the Travel Shark

• Stayed August 2010
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed here for 4 days attending a conference. It's a new property 10mins walk to conference center, in heart of Gaslamp district, one block from 5th Avenue where most restaurants are located, 5 mins to Petco Park, and felt safe walking around this area at night. CVS is 2 blocks away, Ralph's for groceries 7 blocks.

All the staff I met were friendly, efficient and helpful. Mona at the frontdesk was outstanding. It's an all-suite hotel, each suite with a fully equipped kitchenette, free fast in-room WiFi, 2 widescreen TVs, comfy sofa, but no baths. Hotel Salomar across the road is noisy on sat nites, but it wasn't too bad when I was there and I wasn't bothered. Breakfast is included but basic. Head across the road to Broken Yolk for a good breakfast. Coin laundry is also available in hotel.

Overall, thumbs up, congratulations to all the staff for making my stay enjoyable!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Breaking away from work for some quality time with our 20-month old was tough, and we wanted a hassle-free, relaxing vacation (an ambitious goal with an energetic baby). So, we opted for Amtrak over airplanes and chose the Residence Inn by Marriott in San Diego's Gaslamp district. Choosing this hotel was the best decision for our trip. The free breakfast, free internet, swimming pool, small in-room kitchen and fantastic location all proved to be FANTASTIC pluses for us. The location is steps away from a variety of restaurants, Petco park, the Children's museum and public transportation. And, just a few more steps landed us at seaport village and horton plaza. The staff was friendly, incredibly helpful and was able to fulfill our room requests including providing a crib and room away from the elevator for quiet time during those coveted naps...which mean quality time for mom and dad. We very much enjoyed our stay. Thank you Marriott for giving tired parents a great time off.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Some friends and I stayed at this hotel during Comic-Con as it was the closest hotel we could find to the convention center that wasnt sold out. All i can say is, do NOT believe what you see in the photos on the website! We were in utter and total shock when we walked into our room and saw the size of it. The "full kitchen" is literally 5 feet long with a dishwasher, fridge, microwave, and 2-burner electric cooktop all wedged into a tiny corner of the room.

Well I immediately called the front desk to confirm that this was the room seen on the webstite that i had booked. What i was told was, Every room is the exact same sq footage but some are laid out different than others.

The room was very clean and well kept, and the staff was very friendly but we simply couldnt get over the size of the room. It looks NOTHING like the pictures online. Here were some of the more strange and confusing things about the room and the hotel in general:

THE BAD
1) There was no sink in the bathroom!?!? The sink and counter is setup outside the bathroom right next to the bed. Great, the last thing i wanna see is other people washing up, brushing their teeth and shaving.
2) No vent in the bathroom!?!? First time ever i have seen a hotel bathroom with no vent system whatsoever.
3) The hotel pool maxed out a 3.5' deep!?!? For a hotel this size how do you not have a pool where the water level comes above adults waists??
4) The hotel resteraunt and bar. OK im used to paying huge overblown prices for small portions, i mean it is a hotel resteraunt, but when my buddy spent $15 for 4 buffalo wings and 10 french fries, i was kind of shocked. Also the resteraunt/bar area is like the room, tiny! On the website they make the resteraunt look huge and the bar look like a seperate area for drinking, its not and its not.
5) The elevators. I dont know if this is a new trend in hotels but you have to swipe your room card in the elevator panel everytime you want to use it....EVERY TIME. Gets very old when your going in and out a lot.

THE GOOD
1) Hotel and room were sparkling clean and updated with new carpet, fixtures and very stylish decor.
2) Staff was very friendly and helpfull.
3) There was a free breakfast every morning, but i didnt have a chance to get at it, but the area they served it in looked very cozy.

Overall, clean, friendly, but way too small for the money. Theres no way id reccomend a family of four staying in a room that tiny.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We recently spent a week here with my step daughter to do all the typical "tourist trappings" (SeaWorld, Zoo, etc). The location was perfect! Sizable rooms (ours had the available pull out sofa), full kitchen will free grocery delivery, terrific breakfast included in room price. Only real "complaint" is the very high cost of valet. But in comparison to the parking lot across the street, for the service provided, it was more than worth the extra few bucks it cost to "self park" over there. I watched the price fluctuate between $5 during the day to $25 at night and dont even THINK about it if there is a ballgame in town. We came back one evening to find overwhelming traffic and unusually large crowd because the Dodgers/Padres game had just let out.

Another suggestion to the valets might be to "become friendly" with some of the many pedicabs that are available in that area. We decided one evening to make reservations for the Melting Pot restaurant that was closeby (about a mile) Although not really handicapped, I have difficulty walking sometimes and would have been really grateful if they would have been able to "summon" one of these "cabs" to take us to our restaurant. There was no need to drag our vehicle out for such a short drive and parking would have been a nightmare in that area anyway so we decided to walk. There are numerous things to do within walking distance (less than a mile) of this hotel. From first rate restaurants to movie theaters, chocolate shoppes to nightclubs. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
phoenix, arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I loved staying a week in this hotel. My Husband needed to attend a seminar for a 5 day period so my 6 year old and I tagged along. The Hotel breakfast had a great variety of foods for my picky child and were very attentive to make sure we had what we needed. The best part was the customer service. I spent an afternoon at La Jolla Cove (13 miles away) with my son and I fell and cut open my leg. Not knowing the area, I returned to the hotel to tend to the wound but my first aid kit has been destroyed during my unplanned fall into the ocean (hence the cut). The valet noticed it first and asked what he could do to help. He helped me into the hotel where the front staff took over and found us bandages and antibiotic ointment. They were very sweet and soothed my 6 year old who was worried. The room was nice and accommodated the 3 of us but I would recommend the upgrade if you have more than two. We were slightly cramped and privacy was an issue. Our only issue was there is no room service and the rooms have no movie service . That would have made the stay perfect. Walking distance to seaport village.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!