“Loved this hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
phoenix, arizona
“Loved this hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I loved staying a week in this hotel. My Husband needed to attend a seminar for a 5 day period so my 6 year old and I tagged along. The Hotel breakfast had a great variety of foods for my picky child and were very attentive to make sure we had what we needed. The best part was the customer service. I spent an afternoon at La Jolla Cove (13 miles away) with my son and I fell and cut open my leg. Not knowing the area, I returned to the hotel to tend to the wound but my first aid kit has been destroyed during my unplanned fall into the ocean (hence the cut). The valet noticed it first and asked what he could do to help. He helped me into the hotel where the front staff took over and found us bandages and antibiotic ointment. They were very sweet and soothed my 6 year old who was worried. The room was nice and accommodated the 3 of us but I would recommend the upgrade if you have more than two. We were slightly cramped and privacy was an issue. Our only issue was there is no room service and the rooms have no movie service . That would have made the stay perfect. Walking distance to seaport village.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Booked a king one-room suite for my wife and I, as she joined me in town for a post-convention vacation. Despite my request for a higher floor, we ended up on the third floor, and since the hotel was booked full, we had to stick with the room for the first night.

Room(s) are not massive, but space enough for two people to survive a week. The building has some nice features to remind visitors of its history - including exposed brick at reception, and sliding "barn-style" frosted glass doors in rooms. Ultra cool. The only issue is that such a door doesn't allow for much privacy when it's between the bedroom and the bathroom.

Our first room was a king with a full bathroom (including small tub/shower) and pull out sofa, as well as kitchen. When we finally got moved to a higher floor on our second night (I had to pull some attitude with front desk, who maintained that the hotel was still "very full"...though in the end, it turned out there were several other rooms available) we were downgraded to a queen bed -- still with pull-out sofa, full kitchen. Our bathroom had a glass and tile shower, though, and no tub. This was fine -- the shower was spacious. Noise from hallways was an issue -- the elevators chime very loudly, and voices of other guests seem to travel right in to the room. When tucked away into the bedroom with the sliding door shut, it wasn't an issue.

The kitchen is fully stocked. I was a bit wary of the housekeeping staff replacing used glasses in cupboards, as we knew they weren't going through the dishwasher in our suite. (Hopefully the new glassware came off a cart, and wasn't just wiped and replaced!) Overall, the suite was well-cleaned each day, though the couches in both rooms we had were already fairly grimy.

Our shower door leaked a lot of water, but since housekeeping was so good at replacing towels, we just mopped up as we went. Our only issue was not being able to open a window -- long term stays in hotels can make one claustrophobic. An opening window would have been nice...but obviously that's just not possible the way things were built.

The free breakfast is a bit of a zoo -- this is a family hotel, and as such, the eating area is over-run with families of all sizes. Still, the food is varied and healthy options are available. Staff work really hard to clear tables and meet the demands of even the rudest guests -- and should be commended for keeping a smile on their faces!

Pool itself is small, but the roof top terrace it's on offers a relaxing space to lounge in the hot SoCal sun. Didn't use the fitness room, but loved its location looking down on busy 5th Avenue. Laundry facilities were a most welcome thing as I was travelling over 12 days in total. Free internet was a great perk.

Lobby was large, with seating for several groups, a business centre of sorts, and a bar/resto around the corner. The mini-shop in the lobby was handy though priced high.
Parking may be priced a bit steep, but the valet guys were amazing at fetching cars and hailing cabs.

Overall, this hotel is a relatively cool and fairly reasonable option for staying in the Gaslamp District. Far enough away from train tracks as to avoid those midnight blaring cargo trains, but still in thr heart of the busy and noisy bar/restaurant zone of the Gaslamp. Ask for a higher floor to help with the weekend noise, if you're sensitive to that. Given its popularity and proximity to the convention centre and Gaslamp district, though, you may not be given much choice!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I've spent enough time in Residence Inns (and other low-end Marriott properties) to appreciate great quality.

Big, clean rooms, that are well decorated and very comfortable to spend time in. Good service and a decent bar in the hotel (which closed far too early) - also very convenient for the Convention Center and for the restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Property may be new but they have not spent anytime with customer service. I was basically told, when I complained that the room I was given was not the room type I requested, that they had lots of people that wanted the room (due to a major city wide convention) so either like it or leave it. Front desk has no authority to make any concessions to try to rectify a situation and continued to say that they are very busy so there was nothing they could do. For a premium price, I am amazed that this is the level of customer service and will not recommend the property to future clients.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Rancho Mirage, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I think that really nice hotels like this Residence Inn get nitpicked by reviewers in an attempt to find something to complain about. While some of the complaints in the previous reviews are accurate (parking fee, long lines for breakfast), many are trivial when you take into consideration the many amenities at this hotel. At the end of this review, I address some of the complaints from previous reviewers as well as add some of my own pet peeves.

We stayed here for one week over 4th of July weekend. It is important to note that there are two types of rooms, a studio suite and a 1BR suite. The 1BR is larger and has a divider between the living area and the bed. I am pretty sure you can either have 1 queen or 1 king, but there are no double beds. Some suites have sofa beds, some do not. If you need one, make sure you reserve one.

We stayed in the smaller studio suite and found it suitable for 2 adults and a small child. The full kitchen is only missing a traditional oven, but has a full refrigerator, microwave, electric range, pots, pans, silverware and cooking utensils. This was a big advantage for us during our week stay.

The location is “as good as it gets” for Gaslamp. If you aren’t familiar with this area, it is the busiest part of downtown with the most shopping and restaurants. However, it isn’t Rodeo Drive. This is "downtown" so you will see plenty of homeless people and drunk rowdy young adults on most nights, especially weekends. Many of the restaurants and bars cater to the party crowds as there are drink specials and happy hours galore. But there are also many high-end and fancy restaurants and others that accommodate families too.

The location is within walking distance are the convention center, Padres Petco Park, Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, and the train station. 3 minutes to the zoo.

When we arrived on Thursday night at 9:00 PM, there was a guest complaining about a music concert outside. Although the concert was over a block away, we could here it on the 10th floor. Fortunately, it stopped at 9:30 PM before we went to sleep. We didn’t have any other city noise issues for the week.

As previously reviewed, the hotel is very clean and very new. The decor and ambiance is really modern and the lobby/lounge area has many places to sit and relax or enjoy a drink. There is also a large communal table in the lobby where there are outlets to plug in your laptop and enjoy the free Internet. The small market has drinks, beer, wine, ice cream, snacks and other sundries.

One interesting thing about this hotel is that they don’t offer "Do Not Disturb" signs for your door. At first, I was sure that there was some high-tech way that house keeping could detect the room was occupied when locked from the inside. No such luck. After being awaken by housekeeping twice, I realized the inside lock only prevents them from unlocking the door, not from knocking on it. I guess I could have requested a sign.

I believe all Residence Inns allow pets. I was the lucky guest who was woken up 4th of July morning at zero-dark-thirty by two large barking dogs next door. Their owner had gone for a jog and left them to howl for 30 minutes. After I complained to the front desk and the owner, I never heard them again.

Another pet peeve (pun intended) of mine are slamming hotel doors. I realize the doors must be self-closing for fire safety, but I refuse to believe that they have to close so violently that they rattle the halls. The doors at this new Residence Inn get the "Best in Show" award for the loudest slamming doors in their class. I wish guests had the common sense to hold the door as it closes to prevent their neighbors from thinking we were having an after-shock of the latest California earthquake.

Previous reviews complain about the parking fee and it also gave me pause. But I learned that all of downtown is overpriced parking. Many hotels in this area are close to $30/day and the parking lots are $18 to $25. I figured it was worth the price of valet and was very pleased with the valet service. Even when there were several people waiting for their car, it never took more than 5 minutes. I justified the expense by figuring out I save $30/day with the free breakfast the hotel serves as well as free Internet.

We only found long lines for breakfast on Sunday morning (4th of July) of our week stay. This seems to only occur in the last hour of breakfast. Despite the final hour chaos, the hotel has at least 4 employees running around cleaning tables, bringing out more food and coffee. However, we found a place to sit even on Sunday. Taking the food back to your room was also a nice alternative.

For the reviewers who thought that there was insufficient lighting to shave or put on make-up in front of the mirror in the morning; open the curtains and let the abundance of sunlight in. I’m sorry one reviewer didn’t think nine dresser drawers and an armoire were enough storage space. Yes, some drawers only pull out half-way to prevent tipping, but they are full sized drawers. You just have to put one or two items of clothing in at a time instead of a stack.

For the reviewers who complained that the vanity/sink is outside of the bathroom and that the tub and shower are one unit instead of separate: Clearly, the sink is outside of the bathroom for the sake of efficiency so that one person isn’t dominating all three at once. As for separating the tub and shower: Marriott is trying to do as much as it can with a limited space per room both to make it efficient for extended-stay travelers and keep costs to the consumer down. Remember that full kitchen you get? That is where your separate tub was supposed to go.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
OC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I have stayed here 3 times with family and friends...and will continue to return. The location is walking distance to the heart of the Gaslamp restaurants, pubs, clubs and stores. The room is spacious and complete, like your own studio apartment. The price definitely is a bargain for all the amenities and accommodations that are offered to guests. Breakfast buffet had everything and was completely satisfying.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We have fully enjoyed this Residence Inn and the service has been outstanding. Upon arriving in our room, we could hear the jackhammering going on outside our window. We immediately call the front desk who offered to move us to another room. They then met us at our original room and walked us up to a higher floor and one on the opposite side of the jack hammering. We were told there was construction going on and they apologized. We have valeted our car (even at the high price of $32/night) and the valet staff has been outstanding. We hardly waited at all for the car to be pulled up. The room has been nice also. Only wish there was a desk and a speaker phone but otherwise, it has been very satisfactory.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!