“Great Hotel, but wheres the beer?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Trolley Tickets
Ranked #22 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Ventura CA
“Great Hotel, but wheres the beer?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The location is brilliant. Close to the convention center, a block from the Gaslamp district and within view of the Ballpark. The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and the rooms were very well kept. I enjoyed the pleasant server and a tasty sandwich in the onsite bar/grill and was pleased with the complimentary breakfast. My biggest gripe is that at the managers reception, unlike most of the other Residence Inns I stay at, there was no complimentary beer or wine. Not a deal breaker, but definitley something I will bear in mind on my next trip to San Diego.
Also the TV in the room was a bit small/too far from the bed and the channel selection limited... My final whine, which is also one of my pet peeves as a business traveler, I had to move furniture in order to plug my phone in on the night stand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights to attend a conference at the hotel and really enjoyed my stay. Check in was 5 minutes, courteous and professional staff. Lobby is modern, well decorated with a nice landing space with ports for laptops so you can work, adjacent bar with with outdoor seating to enjoy the active street life and grab a bight or drink. 2 lobby PCs with printers for boarding passes and several flat screens.

Elevators were fast and nicely sized. In some smaller downtown hotels that becomes an issue but wasn't here.

Room was clean, well appointed with a nice flat screen and being a residence inn property had an efficiency kitchen complete with full size fridge and microwave as well dishes and dishwasher.

Bathroom fixtures were clean and well maintained. Tiles and shower curtains had no mold or mildew. Sink/vanity is actually situated outside of the bathroom (shower/toilet) which might seem odd but it worked. Nice finishes and surfaces with no chips or dings/damages.

Queen sized bed with nice comforter and pillows. usual cable stations.

Had dinner 1 night in the bar at a table outside. Service was good but they were busy so I didn't get as much attention as I would have liked. Still, very friendly servers and food was very tasty. Southwestern chicken sandwich and fries along with tortilla soup. Meal with tip was about $24. About what I expected.

Gym (treadmills and ellipticals) were of good quality, Life Fitness, which i like, and this was neat, they are adjacent to the pool in an area that has sliding doors to close it when it rains or at night I guess. They face windows to the street so you can see what's happening down there as well. Sliding doors were open the 2x I used the gym so nice breeze and flat screen on the wall + the machines had their own TVs. Pool had people around it sitting but no one used it. Nice size and well maintained.

Conference space is below street level. Was there for 1.5 days in meetings. Nicely appointed, A-V worked well, temperature good. Staff kept the beverages stocked throughout the day with refills. Would have liked windows but overall very pleased with the rooms.

Had breakfast on their 2nd floor each morning - included with the room. one of the better "free" breakfasts I've seen with a great selection of offerings: eggs, fruits, bagels/toasts, oatmeal, cereals, fountain drinks, waffles, etc. good service with staff regularly busing the tables and restocking the offerings. Sitting area was large and clean. I went for a run on my last morning there and grabbed a banana and some yogurt before i went and then 90+ minutes later I came back and even though they were cleaning up as breakfast was over they offered to get me anything I wanted and were friendly about it! I really appreciated this and told them thanks. They didn't have to do this but wanted to. That is service.

Great restaurants and bars just steps away and 2 blocks away is a CVS for sodas, snacks, etc. you might need.

All in all. great experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Spring Hill, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed in room 815 for a 3 day conference.
The carpet and furniture seemed nearly new but the bed had begun to develop a body print.

The bathroom was large and nicely arranged but there was no shampoo. Due to some mix-up a product called Apres shampoo conditioner had been ordered. Now if you know any French, you know that apres means after. So instead of shampoo they had ordered conditioner. Thank goodness I had brought my own shampoo.
I informed the front desk and hope that they got it straightened out.

Breakfast was very good but also very crowded. I usually had to wait for as table.

Service was good overall (the shampoos mix-up withstanding) and the location was terrific.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

What a great place for a stay in beautiful San Diego. Walk everywhere, location is perfect. Hotel clean, warm and inviting. Breakfast was the perfect way to start the day of adventure. Now just head out down the street for baseball, shopping or a convention. Hop on trolley for a trip to Old Town. Back to room for a quick lunch in room with a peaceful nap. Room has fully stocked kitchen and comfy bed just calling for that nap.

• Stayed September 2013
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend with group of friends to see the San Diego area. The hotel itself is very clean both in the public space and guestrooms. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful with giving us advice and directions.

The location is great since you can walk to all the night life without needing a car. It is right up the street from the San Diego convention center another easy walk!

Overall we were pleased and we will make this the place to stay for our next trip to San Diego!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were very pleased with this location and the great staff. We dropped our car off at the at the hotel around 1pm and were pleased to find out we could check into our room. I had called the night before to confirm our room and asked if possible could we have an upgrade. We wanted o a view of downtown. I had mentioned it was my birthday and i was hoping they did something special. Wine, chocolates.. something. but was informed they don't do anything for birthdays.

Bellhops were extremely friendly and took our luggage to our room. The parking is a bit excessive, 38.00 a night but this seems to be the norm for that area.

The room was nice. We stayed on the 10th floor, quiet and a view of downtown. I noticed a few stains on the headboard and carpet. The sheets were very thin and had the strongest bleach odor. They were clean, but my allergies were horrible because of the over use of bleach. Pillows were okay. Nothing exciting or comfortable about the bedding. This is an area that needs improvement.

There is no vent in the bathroom so it was hot taking a shower. I was disappointed in the shampoo. They offer Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditoner, not body soap as shown in the pictures. The conditoner was not Paul Mitchell. It was dark yellow that smelled of lotion not conditioner! I didn't use it. No complimentary water in your room either. Towels were very thin and smelled of bleach. There weren't enough outlets either. None were located by the bed and only two for a blow dryer and a curling iron. Sorry, but us women need more than that.The ironing board was old looking and short! I was ironing my clothes hunched over.

Breakfast was good. The hours are early so if you are trying to sleep in, you just may have to skip breakfast. One thing that wasn't clear if they had a coffee or tea area at all hours for the folks staying there. I needed tea and it would have been nice to go and get some at night. I would say another area of improvement would be to educate the staff on the night life around there and places to eat. Our first night we arrived late to our hotel so we didn't have a chance to see what was close to the hotel. We were pretty hungry. We asked if there were any places to eat late around the hotel and although the gentleman tried to look for a place he fell short on this. The next day when we did venture out we noticed all sorts of restaurants near us that we could have gone to instead of staying in and ordering room service. Burger was okay, arrived with no mayo or mustard. Just packs of ketchup. Isn't this room service? Pizza was not good at all. On our last night, we went to Ruth Chris and asked if it was was in walking distance. The lady at the front desk had said, " yes, if you are wearing comfty shoes." Thank goodness we didn't walk and drove. There is a ton of construction in the area and it definitely wasn't in walking distance.

Overall the stay was pleasant. The location is great. You are in walking distance of fifth street (restaurants,shops and bars are located). The mall and Petco Stadium is in walking distance as well. The staff is friendly. The room was okay, needs improvement.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better. We didn't hear a thing and we were located on the 10th floor. As...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel is in the perfect location, you can walk anywhere you need to and great for exploring the city. I loved the design and style of the hotel, it felt modern and was definitely recently upgraded. The staff there was all wonderful, very accommodating and helpful. The rooms were really nice and having the full kitchen is always a nice bonus. I have to agree with other posters that the layout of the room is a bit odd. The sink is outside of the bathroom; in my room is was basically next to the bed. If you're traveling with others and you want some privacy you should consider getting separate rooms. The parking is only valet but they did off in-out privileges so it made it worth it for us. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!