“Great Residence Inn Property, Great Location, Average Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Trolley Tickets
Ranked #21 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Portland, Oregon
“Great Residence Inn Property, Great Location, Average Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here over the 4th of July holidays, and I was very impressed with the property relative to other Residence Inns and the location within the Gaslamp district is outstanding. Lots of things to see and do within walking distance of the hotel. It is only a few short blocks (maybe 5 minutes walking tops) to Petco Park. The ferry to Coronado Island is also within walking distance, and driving from the hotel to Coronado Island with no traffic is only 10-15 minutes.

I found the layout of a few rooms a bit awkward (like the TV behind the couch) and had to look at a few before I found a layout that fit my preferences, but the rooms are modern, very clean, and the beds are comfortable.

My overall rating of the hotel is very good, and I would recommend to others and stay here again myself... but I did have a few hiccups starting with the checkin. The staff did try to make it right but only after I raised the issues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've been there on the beginnig of july. The hotel is perfect, clean, great service and an healthy breakfast.
Employers are very kind and the location is strategic. You can walk all around the gaslamp quarter (nightlife, pubs, restaurants and stores everywhere) and you can also walk until the sea port village, it will take half an hour.
You can also have a drink at the ALTITUDE Sky Lounge just around the corner.
I really suggest this hotel and i would come back soon.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in front of the 6th Ave. it looks like they are bigger.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We combined a conference and added vacation to San Diego. We stayed here because it was close to the convention center. Little did we know that it is one block from all the sites in the Gaslamp district. It is a nice, clean, quiet hotel. The rooms are suites with full kitchens. I have no plans of cooking or being in a kitchen on vacation but it was very nice to have.

They have a fantastic complimentary breakfast each morning. Not just muffins and bagels, I mean a full hot breakfast with eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, and a waffle maker and all the great waffle fixings such as fruit, nuts and whipped cream. This is worth it alone.

This hotel does not have a fancy view but seriously would give it up for the amenities, location, price, cleanliness and breakfast. We had a car and the valet knew us by day 1 and always had our vehicle ready. It is a great, quiet, safe area yet we walk one block and are right in the thick of the Gaslamp scene.

We played and drank during the day and when we arrived to the hotel they met us with open arms to welcome us "home." I loved walking the shops and galleries in the area. There is also a great cupcake place two blocks up from the hotel called Heavenly cupcakes. We could pick one up late after eating and drinking out to bring back to our room. And because we had a refrigerator we always had fresh milk.

We were also one block from Petco Park. There were games two of the nights we were there. We were never inconvenienced by the crowds going to the game. They block some streets but it is easy to get around. We can hear the game but they are over by bedtime. One of our group had a room facing 6th and they could see the fireworks after the game.

This was my second trip here and I would choose it again hands down.

Room Tip: We stayed in a high room with a slight view of the water. Early in the evening you could hear the n...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Grover Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I never get to go to places like this. WOW! I'm a small town girl and I had more fun just looking out over the gaslamp quarter from my 6th floor window. It was great! The bed was like a cloud. I have fibromyalgia and I woke with no pain. Unfortunately traffic was heavy so we didn't have enough time for the pool and gym but next time for sure. Also there was a mix up with the billing as we had a small group and one phone call fixed it all. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

A colleague and I stayed here for the Esri UC in July 2013 and it was excellent. First off it was located in the Gas Lamp district do it was close to restaurants and only two blocks to the convention center. Secondly, the staff were second to none....very friendly, helpful, attentive and professional....they really made a difference. And finally, the room was perfect; quiet, plenty of space, nice kitchen and the typical great Marriott bed and bedding. So...all in all a very nice experience with a good breakfast to boot...I highly recommend it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while attending a wedding in June 2013.
The hotel was great. Service was wonderful, hotel was clean and modern, and you can't beat the location.
The pool is on the tiny side - we didn't spend any time in it, but did take a look to see if it would be worthwhile.
The food at breakfast was a bit disappointing (cold, rubbery eggs, not too many options)
If you need a great location at a good price and want consistent Marriott service, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ambler, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Nice hotel with very friendly staff. Did not meet anyone in our entire 6 day stay who was not absolutely sincere in their friendliness and helpfulness. Main criticism: It is a pet friendly hotel and some of the dogs are large (and loud). There was a dog in the room across from us who barked whenever anyone walked past the door. The staff was able to accommodate a room change for us due to the noise, even though the hotel was nearly full. Strongly suggest that you ask at check in about whether there are any dogs in the rooms near you if it might bother you. If you own a pet, then the pet friendly status is a positive for you.
Breakfast is great with different choices but it is very crowded on the weekends. Get there early to avoid the long line (and the even longer wait to make your own waffles). The breakfast area was very well staffed with pleasant people who were very attentive to all the food items as soon as they ran out.
For those who have vehicles, the valet parking is very expensive ($38/day) but there is a self-parking garage 30 feet away where the maximum rate is $25/day or less depending on the day of the week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!