“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here for a full week and had a terrific experience. The room was very nice, modern, and clean. Comfortable bed, a/c, good shower pressure. Loved the kitchen and full fridge. The breakfast was wonderful - a lot of variety. Staff was very friendly and responsive. The location was great - super close to Gaslamp restaurants, Petco Park, and a quick walk to waterfront attractions. Very safe area and nice to walk around. One drawback was the sliding doors to the bathrooms - they are noisy and see-through so the light shows through to the rest of the room - not the best setup if one person has to use the facilities in the night or early in the morning while others are still sleeping. Also - overnight parking fee $38 - wow. Otherwise - all great! We would stay there again.

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here during a three-day visit to San Diego to visit the zoo and other tourist attractions. The hotel is located in a great part of town, though it's clearly a touristy / younger person's part of town. There are ample restaurants within walking distance at almost every price point, and lots of little shops (many of them tourist traps). We were less than 15 minutes from the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, and Balboa Park. The hotel staff was very friendly at every turn, from housekeeping to the valet parking crew. Our room with a pull-out sofa for our daughters was small, but well-appointed, including the mini-kitchen (well-stocked enough to cook a full meal, pots, pans, knives, etc.). The outdoor, heated pool is small, but large enough to entertain kids, and isn't that what a hotel pool is for? (No hot tub for grown-ups, though.) The breakfast served hot eggs and other non-continental fare.

Room Tip: We overlooked the pool, which is in an inner courtyard -- this meant we had light but no street nois...
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We've stayed at many Residence Inn properties and this was a good one. Rooms are smaller than I'm accustomed to but still a good option. We're just two (kids have grown) so the mini-suite with kitchen, sitting area, etc. all kind of in one space didn't bother us. Very efficient layout. The breakfast area over the weekend was a zoo, but well managed by the staff - replenished often. The pool and exercise room are tiny. Balancing things out though was the close proximity to Petco (we came for a ballgame), and the numerous restaurants and lounge/bars nearby. We like it quiet. On the seventh floor, you would never know that you're in the middle of the Gaslamp District. The bar was a quiet option on Saturday night compared to all the goings on in the area. We'll be back.

Room Tip: High floors seem to be quieter...watch out for large rowdy groups
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

a new type of Residence Inn...great location(right in the gaslight quarter)...down the block from trendy fifth avenue and near the baseball stadium...walking distance from anywhere you want to see or do!
Nice clean rooms...pool, exercise room...even a laundry!
love the special welcome from Cathy and Brian, the super hotel manager.
Only problem...just one bed and sorry fold out sofa....

J. And I. ,Santa Monica Ca.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn for about 39 days in the months of April and May of 2012. I would like to send my appreciation to one of the employees at the front desk named KELLY MONTES..... She provided great customer service and was extreemely helpful with any issues I had. I especially would like to give her my thanks because out of about 4-5 people I delt with working the main desk, she was the only one that seemed to care and want to help me. Other workers seemed to have fake smiles and a memorized greeting line everytime i approached the desk, and would quickly become very UNhelpful.
I had some sort of a sticky situation where my roommate and I had to stay in a hotel while my house was under construction for 2 months. I was only staying at the hotel on weekends while my roommate was in the room 7 days a week.
I was originally told when i reserved the room on the phone that parking was $20 non-valet. Once i checked in, I was informed there is only valet parking at $38 per car. Therefore we had 2 cars being charged $38 each, and I had issues when I told the front desk that i would not be parking 1 of the cars in their parking lot but only 2 nights a week. At first it seemed like it was a problem, then they told me I had to notify the desk every time arrived and left. After waiting patiently quite a bit for the second time, just to say "I'm here" or "I'm leaving", I ran into Kelly who told me I could just inform the valets instead of waiting in line everytime.
At one point I was denied a fitted sheet for the pull out sofa mattress, and was given a regular bed sheet that would continually slip off the mattress while i was sleeping.
I was denied a comforter and told i could only have a blanket (it wasn't until I asked one of the guys that personally serviced the room, that I received a comforter).
I also had an issue understanding why my credit card charges were not the same as the charges on the 1st bill I received. I believe i talked to 2 other people who had no clue or answers or care before Kelly stepped up and was able to explain it to me.
There were many little stupid things that all just seemed to accumulate and it just seemed anytime I had a question or issue, KELLY MONTES was the only one with an answer and the only one that seemed like she truly wanted to help. All other people behind the desk had big smiles when they greeted you, and quickly showed a lack of interest or concern for the customer. I have always enjoyed my stays at other Marriotts in the past with friends, the only reason why I stayed at this particular Marriott for such a long period was out of convenience. I had stayed in 2 other hotels durring this period not realizing that the construction on my house was going to take so long. So I came to the Marriott Residence Inn for the available kitchen and because I have had great past experiences in other Marriott Hotels. I did not switch hotels again out of convenience of not having to move my roommate/tenant for a 3rd time.
I gave an average rating to this hotel because most the people at the front desk brought it down. The valets were all great guys and helpful, as well as the cleaning lady.

Paul Madrazo

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hammonton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Clean, new, and conveniently located in the fun Gaslamp Quarter - near transportation, a short walk from the convention center, restaurants and bars, and the Embarcadero and a short hop on the trolley to Italian quarter and lots of other places. And it's not far from the airport, either. Restaurant on-site and breakfast is included. It's like having your own downtown apartment.
Nice pool and small gym, too.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a corner room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here for one night for the Color Me Rad. The staff was nice and was a great location. If you have a daughter and wife it is right next to the Gaslamp Quarter and the mall so there is great shopping for them. If you have sons then it is perfect it is only about 3 or 4 blocks from Petco park. The breakfast was really good. Pancakes, sausage, potatoes, and eggs. Some of the many food. There is salsa and cheese and sour cream and onions to put on your eggs. One of the best breakfast ever. Not enough seating though. We had to sit on the side where there are two tables with only two charis. The pool wasn't much very small and only 3 feet deep. Other than that great staff, great breakfast, and great location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!