“Great location, nothing more.” 3 of 5 stars

Pacific View Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   610 Emerald St., San Diego, CA (Pacific Beach)   |
Ranked #178 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Stockholm
“Great location, nothing more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Me and my husband spent two nights in this hotel. The location is great, just by the beach. But, it felt more like a hostel than a hotel. People were sitting outside drinking beer all day and all areas were not so clean. The breakfast was poor.
We paid almost 300 USD per night. I think it would have been worth 150 USD per night.
I would recommend this hotel to young people. Not to couples nor families with children.
Anna
Stockhom
Sweden

Stayed August 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Prescott, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We prepaid thru TripAdvisor for a room in this hotel. There is NO airconditioner, NO elevator, No tub (2'x2' shower),NO parking, LIMITED Wifi. There breakfast was a 1/2 gallon of OJ to share with others and Lenders bagels. Lots of surfers and bicyclers. Room was loud at night and very hot at night and during the day. This place is designed for a "flop" place and not much more. We actually left early with no refund. BEWARE!!!!!

Room Tip: Read all reviews before you decide
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This place was in a GREAT location! If that is your main objective, then this is the place for you. However, there is no air conditioning in the rooms which meant that the rooms were warmer than outside. I didn't notice before booking that they actually did write this in their description. It made it very difficult to sleep without A/C. There was only one window, so there was no cross ventilation. After showering, the room became warmer and more humid. Parking was a challenge. They have a few reserved spaces that they charge $20/day, but those were unavailable. We were lucky to find a spot a few blocks away. We waited all day for the room to get cleaned, but the maid didn't get to our room until very late afternoon. By that time, we needed to shower and get ready for the evening, so we just got clean towels and declined room cleaning. This room was way too expensive for what we got. I expected a lot more for the price I paid.

Room Tip: Maybe the 2nd floor rooms are cooler and probably better view. Bring a fan!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I live about 75 miles from this Hotel (Motel) and visit this area one to two days a week. Consequetly, I've had the opportunity to expereience a number of properties from La Jolla to Downtown. Due to circumstances I had to book this room with less than a week of lead time and wasn't aware that Comic Con was occuring at the same time. As a rule it's pretty easy to find reasonably priced accomodations in the San Diego area, but with Comic Con in full swing pickings were slim (and very expensive).

When booking this hotel I reviewed other visitor's ratings in addition to what photos were available. I was pleased to find a number of positive reviews, but when I arrived I was very disappointed with what I found. The area immediately around the building was filthy. While it would be the City's responsibility to do weed abatement and trash collection, you would think that the hotel staff would care enough to at least clear the weeds and debris from the front of the place had they any pride in the property, They obviously don't.

I checked in late so my key was left for me in a lock box hanging off the front door. There was no diagram showing where my room was located and the layout made it difficult to find. When I entered the stair well to the second floor where my room was located, the first thing I encountered was the filthy in door/out door carpeting. The surface was stained so badly that in places it was difficult to be certain of the color. The area was illuminated by two single hanging light fixtures, of which only one was working. The hallway and landing areas were very poorly ventilated while the humidity and heat were extreme. I couldn't wait to get into the room for some relief.

Unfortunately, the room was unbelievibly hot and stuffy. There is absolutely no airflow into this room (23) which is tucked away in the back of the facility with it's one window opening out over a utility area. The view is limited to the multistory neighboring building situated about 20 to 25 feet away. Given the nature of where this room is located, the lack of ventilation is no surprise.

During this stay, the temperature and humidity were unusually high. Accordingly, conditions within the room were at times unbearable. I had to venture outside several times during the night just to cool off. Guessing, I would say that the room was no less that 80 degrees during my entire stay. In fact, except for the very early morning hours, the room was so hot that I could not stop perspiring. It got so bad that I had to put bath towels over the sheets to keep them from getting wet. Sleeping under these conditions were nearly impossible. I managed to get no more that three to four hours per night.

While I can't comment on other rooms, I was provided with a cheep standing electric fan. While that might have been useful had their been any available ventilation, it basically served to just blow the hot, humid air around. Conditions were absolutely miserable!! The fan, by the way, is configured with a six foot cord. Unfortunately there were no outlets anywhere near the only window. So, unpon searching the room, I found that one of the bedside lamps was serviced by an eight foot extention cord. I had to unplug the lamp and streach the cord across the room to the closest outlet in order to make it remotely effective.

The same conditions continued into the second night with respect to the temperature of the room. After several hours of tossing and turning I managed to fall asleep. I think it was about 1 in the morning but I'm not certain as there was no alarm clock...or for that matter a phone either. Having traveled to a number of countries abroad, I would equate these accomodations as being consistant with what I would expect to find in some third world country.

Oh, but wait...there's more. So picture this. The room temperature is nearly unbearable, the fan is pretty much useless, there's no management personnel on site between 9:00 PM and 7:00 AM, the place is filthy and sleeping is nearly impossible. What else could happen?

I finally fall asleep somewhere around 2 to 3 in the morning and at about 4:45 AM the hard wired smoke detector starts chirping. I don't mean sounding like there is a fire...No chirping as in the back up battery is dead. I try to cover my head with the pillows but its way too loud. I try stuffing TP into my ears...No joy here either. What to do...No one to call, no staff working?

I get up on a chair and remove the dead battery hoping that with break the circut and shut the chirping up. No such luck! Having very limited options I have to get dressed and hoof it four blocks to a 7-11 and buy a battery. $7.55 worth of battery! You may be thinking why didn't you just drive over to the store? By the time I got back to the hotel that evening all the street parking was taken and with there being only seven spaces on the property, also unavailable, I had to park two blocks away.

I replaced the battery which resolved the problem but by now it's nearly 7 and with check out time looming it's too late to try and get any more sleep.

So if you're looking for a restless, uncomfortable night in a third rate "motel" lacking the most basic of services (24 hour staff, air conditioning, etc.) this place is for you! For thew rest of us, keep going and don't look back!

To sum it all up...this place sucks!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Yes, the location is perfect but that was ALL! My husband and I decided to stay at 3 separate sites on the beach from San Diego to Oceanside. We paid over $350 on a Thursday (the most we paid among the 3 hotels that were on the beach). We paid $160 and $169 for 100 times better rooms on the beach the day before and a day after. We were not worried about the price as we anticipated a high cost and thought we got lucky on the other rooms. However, after our stay on Wednesday, a hotel on a cliff with a view that anyone would die for ($160) that had all of the amenities, including the basic roomy shower and AIR CONDITIONING...we actually thought that the Pacific View Inn was going to be great. Not to mention that our excitement was due to the great picture of the hotel on its website and it was called "sea breeze" room, we headed toward this hotel with good amount of excitement. We even paid $20 for a parking space on the back side of the hotel - this was actually worth it for a piece of mind.. The staff was friendly and accommodating.. (I do not want to ignore anything that was good about this place..but this is the first time that we decided to actually write a BAD review due to our experience of the hotel itself.) I may be referring to THE ONLY TERRIBLE ROOM SO - this was room #12!!!!!!!!!!! be warned.

THE ROOM - it was very small AND very hot. No problem with the size of the room - we figured we are paying for the location. However, the room was so hot so we looked for the air conditioner...we checked all the rooms but we only found a single stand - fan! WHAT THE FREAK! No air conditioner! So we looked for a window. Yes, there was a window! - small, but it was ALREADY OPEN! HELL! In a room with a partial ocean view, the window was very small - a portion cut out from a larger window. There was no cross breeze so the opened window did NOTHING for the ventilation of the room. We even put the fan on the window with the door wide open but that didn't seem to help. I eventually had to close the door when we tried sleeping.. but the small window that had to remain open also let in the only light on the second floor to our room that lit the stairway. So, the room stayed hot the entire 13 hours of our visit from check in until our check out. We were actually ready to check out before 6 am, but the office was scheduled to open at 7 but it was opened around 730.

We would not recommend this hotel unless you just want to store your belongings, but the price is not worth the storage.

So disappointed visitors...

Room Tip: Ask for the room number and avoid #12 in case other rooms are not so terribly ventilated.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'll start with the only positive I can come up with; location! It couldn't be better. Right on the beach and very close to lots of excellent bars.

Now for the reality! We stayed for four nights and during that full time our room didn't get cleaned. The rooms are carpeted so you can imagine the state it was in by the end of our stay! We also were only given clean towels once. There's also no air-conditioning so the room is a sweat box.

There is a kitchen facility in the room with a sink, fridge, coffee maker and microwave. However there wasn't any cutlery or crockery!! On our first day there were 2 polystyrene cups in the room and two sachets of coffee. Apparently that's your quota for the week. I've never stayed in a hotel that expects you to wash out and reuse a polystyrene cup! So unless you want to go and buy your own cutlery and crockery the kitchen is completely superfluous.

The staff also leave a lot to be desired. The person who was there for most of our stay (and I'm assuming is the owner) was so rude. She is unpleasant and wouldn't know customer service if it hit her in the face. However there was a really nice guy there occasionally who was very helpful.

Last but by no means least, the parking situation is a riot. They've got a cheek to charge $20 a night for a space when there's free parking right in front of the hotel.

In conclusion this place is a rip off. We stayed in 4 and 5* hotels during our trip around California that were cheaper and considerably better. It seemed to us that they are charging really high rates purely because of the location. I would have checked out after the first night and moved hotel but they threatened to charge me $185 plus tax for checking out early! Do not stay here!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

This inn has cozy clean rooms so close to the water you can feel the ocean spray when you walk out of your room. The staff is friendly but leave you to your vacation. The continental breakfast is simple but fresh. Be sure to pay the extra to reserve parking or you might be walking a lot!

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Pacific View Inn? Share your experiences!