“Delicious Food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Korean
San Diego
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Dae Jang Keum has the best Korean Barbeque in San Diego. There are other Korean Barbeque places in the same area but I believe what sets Dae Jang Keum apart is that they use wood charcoal instead of gas flame to grill your meat. When you're there, try the beef tongue, the meat is tender and tasty. I was a little skeptical but was not disappointed. They serve a nice variety of side dishes to compliment the entree.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

37% Recommend
San Diego, California
“Had a Craving for Korean BBQ and Went Here as Backup Plan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were headed for Manna BBQ and because of the wait time, we decided to explore other options in the vicinity. Somehow we ended up at this restaurant which is off the Convoy strip of choices. The atmosphere was interesting. Booth style seating and there's lots of privacy while you are eating. The thinly sliced radish that was available as one of the side dishes was probably the best food item of the evening. Nothing else was memorable to note except service was SLOOOWWWW. The restaurant does not have all you can eat buffet BBQ like some of the other places but they did have some group menu choices to choose from.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing value for the $$.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in to Dae Jang Keum for lunch and was not disappointed. This was my first trip to a Korean restaurant so I can't judge it against other Korean food, but my visit was great. It is a small establishment in a relatively new shopping center, so the atmosphere isn't the greatest, but the food more than makes up for that small detail. The service was prompt and friendly. I ordered the BBQ Pork Lunch Box. It came with enough food for two, easily. There were several small dishes with different pickled veggies, seaweed, tofu and kimshee e. The pork was somewhat spicy, but not overpowering. It was very tender and went well with the rice it was served with. I sampled all the little side dishes and all were tasty. I would not hesitate coming back for lunch or dinner.

Madison, Wisconsin
“mixed feeling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

They provide very authentic Korean food, but it is somewhat over priced. Food was ok with plenty side dishes. However, service was super slow and parking lot was highly limited.
Don't forget grab some nuts in front of the door. It was nicer than foods.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
1,339 helpful votes 1,339 helpful votes
“Excellent and authentic Korean food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I went here today based on a recommendation from some friends when I asked for an authentic Korean meal. I have never been in this part of town but definitely I'm glad I went....

This place has GREAT Korean food. I went with my wife and we both agreed the meat dishes were fabulous. We went for the BBQ and they have special tables for those that want to have it cooked right there in front of you.

They use hot charcoal right there at the table. If you want to have it at these tables you have to order at least 2 BBQ dishes. Well, be forewarned the sizes of the dishes was very generous. In fact, we couldn't even finish it and brought a doggy bag home with BBQ. We got the bulgogi and kalbi dishes. Both were excellent!

Do yourself a favor and try these dishes here. Very flavorful. This place isn't cheap (main dishes were around $27 to $29 each) but the portions were generous. The main appetizer dishes they brought out were plentiful and when we ran out, our hostess offered to bring more if we wanted.

The place was full of only Asians when we went which is typically a good sign in an Asian restaurant.

Just keep in mind once they bring the bill, when you are ready to pay you have to go up to the counter to pay. I didn't realize that. We were sitting there forever once she brought the bill and she never came back. It was only after I got up to look for her did I realize you have to go and pay up at the counter.

Kind of funny at the entrance there was a table with coffee set up and a big barrel of shelled peanuts. I guess this is for when it gets busy and there must be a long line. I've never seen this before in a Korean restaurant.

A really great meal and we'll definitely come back.

• Visited October 2011