“Central location, nice size suites, some issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of William Penn Hotel

William Penn Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
William Penn Hotel
You added William Penn Hotel to your Saves list
511 F Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #22 of 40 San Diego B&B and Inns
Wall, New Jersey
“Central location, nice size suites, some issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

The location is central to everything in the gaslight. Suites are large with everything you need. could use some updating, carpets were all stained. It can be very loud on the weekend. There is an "open roof" night club next door that went until around 2AM and even with the windows closed it was quite loud. No one manning the desk most of the time. took 12 hours to get toilet paper resupplied.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Stayed 2 nights at the William Penn. Really central for seeing the city. The suite is amazing and has everything you need. Down sides are that the desk is rarely manned - we are not sure if we were lucky on arrival that someone was there to give us a key. At night time you are in the heart of the gas light area and they party until 2/3 in the morning.

Room Tip: I would not recommend it to a family.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Gorgeous hotel, beautiful suite with everything you need provided for you, very friendly staff! walking distance to everything...our weekend stay is definitely in our "top ten'. It's a great place to stay and the entertainment goes on and on and on. We can't wait to visit again, we're hoping to make it a monthly excursion!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Norco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

Hotel is in a great location in the Gaslamp Quarter. Cool old building that was remodeled to a hotel. Small, cheesy elevator. Absolutely NO parking. Expect to pay $10 per "portion" of day to park about 3 blocks away.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

The absolute moment I walked into the room I was floored! The decor, the view, the cleanliness, the awesome location... everything about the hotel was perfect! The staff was outstanding and readily available to accomodate me in any way possible with sincere courtesy and professionalism. The hotel is located in the heart of the city's Gas Light District. I had walking access to some of the best restauraunts, shopping and spas San Diego has to offer. I recommend this hotel to travelers who love being pampered, spoiled and comfortable when they are away from home! I am definately going back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Lake Elsinore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

william penn was the cheapest hotel i could find in the gaslamp district, we were going there to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. the rooms were better then i expected living room, kitchen and seperate bedroom with walki-in closet. and the location was perfect there were bars all around us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I was in town for the Comic Con convention this summer, and I had a blast. I shared the room with two of my friends, and we were all very comfortable. The room was clean and in very good condition. The queen bed was ridiculously comfortable and I never had trouble falling asleep. The shower was great - a little dirty just from age, but nothing gross. The water pressure was great and hot water was not an issue. It was a little small for three grown women, but we made it work. The other thing I didn't realize when I booked (and it could simply be because I didn't read carefully) but the unit we were in was two levels. The queen bed and bathroom were upstairs, and the sleeper sofa was downstairs. So I felt a little bad for my friend that slept downstairs, because she had to go upstairs just to use the bathroom - but she didn't seem to mind it too much.
The location was great for our purpose. Seven blocks from the convention center meant about a 15 min walk. Being located off of 5th avenue meant that we were never wanting for a great place to eat. It was a short cab ride to and from the airport, which meant we didn't have to rent a car - which was great!
The only disadvantage to the location was that we were located right next to a night club, and that meant we got to rock out to the beat of the dance music and sometimes the windows would rattle a bit because of the bass. And being a "night" club, meant that this happened from about 11pm til about 2am. Honestly, it didn't bother me that much. I am a very sound sleeper and I was pretty tired at the end of each day that I had no trouble falling asleep.
It was a nice change from the typical one-room hotel stay. Having the two floors meant we could spread out. Having a full kitchen with real appliances was also nice for our week-long stay.
Price-wise - it was competitive with the surrounding hotels. Being a very popular week in San Diego, all of the hotels downtown were pretty much the same price.
Overall - all three of us left the hotel very happy with our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to William Penn Hotel? Share your experiences!