“reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the Gas lamp district” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
chicago
“reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the Gas lamp district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in desperate need of some substance and it was 4:30pm in the Gas Lamp. The tension was building in the air as fancy clad hostesses cat called at us to eat at their restaurant. Priming for the nights debauchery. We weren't up for loud and cheap bar food, so we were tickled pink when we stumbled on Rama. The atmosphere was kept a bit dim - Not "I can't see my food" dim, but "restful to the eyes not having obnoxious fluorescent bulbs beating down" dim. The calming of the Thai décor just added to the restfulness of the place and a welcoming lounge feel to enjoy and relax our food. It was DELICIOUS. I have eaten at MANY Thai food restaurants as well as lived/traveled to Thailand. This food is as good as American Thai can get. Sharable portions enough to satisfy three very hungry people. Very good indeed!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Naples, Florida
“Not Top Thai”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

You get what you opay for. I hate here with two colleagues and we had starters and main courses for $30 without drinks. The food was "patchy". I had a good Pan Fried Roti Bread and Kra Pao (minced chicken) that was meant to be "medium" but that was eye-wateringly spicy. My colleagues had a Shrimp Tom Ga (Soup with lemongrass and coconut milk) that they pronounced "best I've ever had" and something else (so nondescript I can't remeber what it was) that was "completely bland". So it seems like the cook's control on the throttle is shaky! Decor is dull, location not great ... go another 100 yards and find something really good in the Gaslamp District.

Visited April 2013
Coquitlam, Canada
“Scrumptious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a local, who steered us in the direction. It is centrally located near the Convention Center, and within walking distance to the waterfront and Horton Place Outdoor Mall. Food was delicious and nicely presented. Staff were quick and courteous; and price was very reasonable.

Visited March 2013
Austin, Texas
“Willing to get spicy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The restaurant is in the Gaslamp Quarter of SD. The place is small but does have an outdoor area. We arrived and the inside was empty, but since we did not have a reservation, we were put in the outside area and it was freezing outside (heaters not quite working). We did point out that the inside was empty and about 10 minutes after we sat down they offered to move us inside. We ordered the Tom Kha soup and Masaman Curry spicy. The Tom Kha soup was surprisingly spicy and had an incredible flavor and freshness. The Masaman curry was spicy and was tasty, but too runny for a curry. They needed to let the curry thicken before serving it. This is the best Thai in the Gaslamp area. But on the grand scheme of things the poor execution of the curry significantly impacted our overall rating. Next time we're in SD, we'll give Rama another try though.

Visited December 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Fantastic Thai food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great Thai food!!! I got a groupon and went there with my gf and friends. I thought The food appeared to be a little Americanized, but I was wrong. The flavors were phenomenal.

Our waiter (Dean I think) was great. We took his advice on several (if not all) items that we ordered and they were great.

The place is really nice inside, but I'd advice to eat in the back room (much nicer).

We had Pad Thai (crispier than regular at other places, which was a great touch), Panang (sp?) Curry with Duck, Lobster and Scallops.

Definitely not disappointing and right at Gaslamp district.

• Visited January 2013