“Basic is good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Basic

Basic
410 10th Av, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
619.531.8869
Neighborhood: Downtown
Toronto
“Basic is good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We took our 2 teenagers here our last night in San Diego.Lots of food for the price.The salad is good.A little to much cheese.Next time will we ask for less.It is very good but not excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Amazing Pizza.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Due to the number 1 rating on TA, i was determined to try the pizza from Basic. Judging by the crowd of people there and the wait to get pizza to go, I'm guessing so were a number of other people. The pizza was incredible! I honestly could not fault the experience in any way.
The bartender was very friendly when taking my order, and kept me updated during the significant wait. The rest of the bar staff were all happy and talkative as they walked past.
I'm not quite sure how a pizza place is number 1 on TA, as I'm sure that there has to be some better restaurants, however if you are in San Diego and feel like a great pizza at a reasonable price, Basic is the place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Great Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

There is no question that the Pizza here is fantastic, but im not sure why this would be ranked the number 1 restaurant in San Diego, there are a lot more options and places which offer far superior food.

Basic Pizza is all about having Pizza and beer and some after work drinks, overall its a great hang out spot, but not somewhere i would want to go for a nice relaxing dinner.

The one in downtown takes on a different crowd when the Padres game is on.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are staying on the bay front and attending a conference. I looked up restaurants on Trip Advisor and found Basic Pizza was close by and rated #1 in SD. We were really excited about going to the #1 place to eat and were expecting some out of this world pizza there. I will have to say we were a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong the pizza was good, but I was very surprised that this is rated #1. I have eaten better pizza at home in Missouri.
The service is very good and fun atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gilbert, Arizona
“5 Stars for Pizza? YES!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Basic is rated number one on TA for the San Diego area for a reason - it is GOOD. Even though we've been to San Diego many times, we had never heard of Basic - thank goodness for Trip Advisor. We went our first night in SD and yes, the place lives up to the hype.

We went as a family on a late Wed. evening and quickly realized that at that time of night, Basic is more of a hip, trendy and very loud bar than it is a restaurant. We sat in the back of the restaurant and had to almost shout in order to hear each other over the loud music and rowdy laughter coming from the bar area. But we stuck it out because we were really hungry. Glad we did.

The four of us shared a salad and a large red pizza with mozzarella and pepperoni. The salad was great - lots of spinach and leafy greens mixed in with sliced apples, candied walnuts and gorgonzola cheese (which we had taken out). The pizza was phenomenal. Very thin and cheesy - reminded me of New York-style. Great sauce to cheese ratio and great flavor!

The large salad ($9) and large pizza ($22) were perfect portions for the four of us, including two hungry teenage boys. With the awesome value (Just shy of $40 for dinner for four), it is easy to see why this delicious pizza place is rated No. 1.

Bottom line: Go here! You won't regret it. We went back a few days later (this time earlier in the evening) because everyone kept talking about it. And it was even better.