“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Diego Model Railroad Museum

San Diego Model Railroad Museum
1649 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101-1621 (Balboa Park)
619 696 0199
and up
Ranked #23 of 193 Attractions in San Diego
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the world's largest model railroad museums features a scale model railway that replicates San Diego's tracks.
San Diego, California
32 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I took my 7 year-old daughter here last Christmastime. She loved it and marveled at all the amazing exhibits. There was even a huge Christmas town exhibit in the back, complete with hot-chocolate-scent billowing locomotives.

Chesterfield, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
“Terrific, even for older kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went with our 3 teenage kids, not knowing how much the older two would enjoy it, but we all loved it! Many different displays, with incredible detail involved in the scenery and setups. One had been changed to include winter/Christmas decorations, which we enjoyed. One of the best parts was talking to the volunteers running the trains. I would highly recommend asking a lot of questions, as they are generally eager to talk about their hobby. One other recommendation is to bring student ID's for any older/teenage kids in school, as there is a discount for students, but they are picky about making sure you have an ID for high school/college age kids.

Phoenix
6 attraction reviews
“Great fun for kids and adults!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have been here twice now. We have taken my son when he was 18 months old and now almost 2 and he loved it both times! My husband and I were very entertained as well! The viewing windows are a little high for him so my husband did need to hold him up to see anything but we didn't mind because that was great to be able to share the experience with him. The cost to get in is reasonable. There is a lot to see but you can still make it through pretty quickly if you have little ones that can't hang out long. What I also love is if you need to leave and come back later in the day you can! That adds tremendous value to the admission cost because with a toddler there are times where we need to leave and try again in a little bit. We will be making this a regular activity whenever we visit the San Diego area.

San Diego
14 attraction reviews
“trains are fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My grandsons love going here. They always seem to see something new. A trip to Balboa park is not complete without a visit to the trains. They love the hands on experience. Pushing buttons is too much fun and too difficult to resist.

Visited July 2012
STAMFORD
70 attraction reviews
“Our Grandson Loved It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our 7 year old grandson picked this museum for his birthday celebration. Located in the basement of one of the buildings in Balboa Park, we weren't sure what to expect. What we found was the world's 2nd largest model train exhibit. This place is huge! More importantly, your grandson had a great time. The "train engineers" even gave him a behind-the-scenes tour. Based on local topographical layouts, the trains bring back memories of a time gone by for the older visitors. Well worth seeing.