Save Saved
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #204 of 269 hotels in San Diego

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this dump for 4 days it was a nightmare, just kept getting worse. When I turned on the shower the head flew off, the lights in the bathroom didn't work, the tv had no volume only 3 channels were showing, no wifi. When I complained to the Indian girl about this she was very nasty I felt like reaching over the counter and slapping her. I asked for a manager but the manger was not around I asked the Indian girl when will the manager be available she told me she don't know. What kind of business is that? I finally got my room changed after 2 days but it was the same problem. I had to stay in hell for 4 days. Trust me you don't wanna stay here.. About their breakfast I don't know I would not eat from a place like this..

• Stayed February 2013
hojosdsu, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Samantha,

I'm concerned about the experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention. As you are aware that we are remodelling our hotel and few things are out of our control.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

From May 2013 our new rooms shall be ready for rental hence then onwards their should not be any issues. Once again accept my apology

NITIN MODY (GM).

Howard Johnson University Inn
6440, El Cajon Blvd.
San Diago CA 92115
TRACY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was chosen for a few reasons and one imparticular was for the continental breakfast which the others we've stayed at have. It was a business trip in which the workday started early so the breakfast was needed and great that it was included in the room rate. It was not a very good one since it only had cold cereal, one type of danish and a broken orange juice machine. Not even coffee was there, that was only in the room. This was a big inconvenience and incurred more meal cost for the company. Also, the water was turned off much longer than the five minutes we were told it would be which delayed our shower and bed times. One thing more, the television did not have a clear picture and kept going in and out. Will unfortunately not be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Dear Michael,

to receive your kind words of praise.

We apologize for anything beyond your expectation was not taken care.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes
that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

NITIN MODY (GM)
Clear Island Waters, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A friend and I stayed here after not researching which college this was near - we were hoping to be near La Jolla. But we had a car, and were happy to drive the 20 minutes to La Jolla. We were only here the one night.

The carpet was extremely dirty - we got black feet from walking across the floor just once. Ended up wearing flip flops the rest of the time we were in the room, as well as in the shower which also looked unclean.

The room had a very musty smell, like stale cigarettes, even though there was a non-smoking sign on the door. We could also smell the smoke of others wafting in through the airconditioner.

Attempted to use the pool just to cool off, but had a staff member rush over and begin scooping leaves. Made me feel uneasy so I left literally after a couple of minutes.

In hindsight, I wish we had researched a little more!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HowardJohnsonSDSU, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Please except our sincere apology for the inconvenience.

Thanking you

GRM

Been to Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area? Share your experiences!