“Hotel Indigo's incredible staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #39 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Hotel Indigo's incredible staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Indigo in San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter in April 2013. The staff and management there were amazing. We left early one morning to visit Balboa Park and came back later in the afternoon ENGAGED! When we came back to the hotel the manager asked us if we enjoyed our visit to the park and I showed him my engagement ring and pictures of our special moment, Later that evening we came back to our hotel room to find a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us with a handwritten note from the manager congratulating us on our engagement and thanking us for choosing their hotel for our special occasion. The staff here went above and beyond during our stay and made us feel very special. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
DivaJen18

First and foremost CONGRATS on your recent engagement!! Thank you for choosing our hotel to experience such an unforgettable moment. We wish you and your fiancé nothing but the best and hope we see you soon – perhaps your honeymoon?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is a very nice boutique hotel, very well located, within walking distance to the gaslamp quarter, the sea and right beside the Petco stadium. The front desk staff was nice and helpful. The room is very spacious, comfortable and modern, with wooden floor. The bathroom is also quite big, with a nice walk in shower. Everything was nice about this hotel, but I can only give a 3 out of 5 rating, because the room was not so clean. I had read the same comment on other reviews, and I can confirm it even more. There were few stains on the bed sheets, I found hair in the bathroom. The second day, when we came back in the room, I found red hair in the sink, and I can tell you, it's definitely not mine. Its really a shame that such a nice hotel, turns out not rated so well because of the cleanliness.

Noya24,

Thank you for staying at our property during your trip to San Diego. I truly apologize we fell short on the cleanliness department. I have passed on these comments to our housekeeping staff to ensure we are paying closer attention to these details. Once again, thank you for staying with us and hope we see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Four of us ( including two kids age 7 and 9 ) stayed in double queen room, for two nights.
We found the room spacious, and very comfortable.
Didn't realise this was a pet (dog) friendly hotel until after booking. Had what proved to be unfounded fears about pet/dog smells and hairs everywhere. The hotel generally and room specifically were
Overall a great stay, would highly recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Martin H,

Thank you for sharing your great experience during your recent trip to Hotel Indigo. We really appreciate your feed back and hope to see you and your kids again!
Tacna, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Got the room bidding for a 4 star hotel on Priceline. Turns out for a price you can normally get on the hotel's own website. You may ask, "Why is that. How can that be?" Allow me to answer: Because this is no 4 star hotel. It's a 3 star with pretentions.

First off, you need to be aware they allow pets. Not disclosed on Priceline (of course, since you don't know what hotel you will end up at -- but this could be a real problem for those with allergies). Not a big deal for our group.

When I reserve a hotel (especially a reputed 4 star hotel) I have at least 2 basic requirements: 1) a comfortable bed and 2) a quiet room. The Indigo does a decent job for requirement #1, and fails on requirement #2. They have that weird architectural addiction to room doors that leave a large opening below the door. In some hotels that's not a big problem -- at the Indigo it was. Heard everything and everyone in the hallways.

Otherwise the hotel was nice. New construction and very clean. But a single sink in the bathroom for a so-called 4 star hotel? And sort of a modernish but chintzy hotel lobby.

What -- no pool or jacuzzi in San Diego? The hotel made the obvious decision to put in a sort-of-rooftop bar instead of a pool. In other words: forget amenities, let's just make money.

They have free wi-fi but it's horrible. All the guests were complaining.

The valet parking is outrageous at $40/night. That's a New York rate (and everybody uses taxis in New York anyway). News flash: this ain't New York.

For check in over the Labor Day weekend they had 1 person working the front desk. They needed 3. At least that 1 was very nice.

So this hotel has issues to work out before they can even pretend to be a 4 star establishment. I generously give them a 3 star rating for their 3 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Alan H,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us. I’m sorry to hear that your experience wasn’t a great one – we truly pride ourselves in offering great customer service and understand your concerns. I will make sure Priceline is up to date with our amenities and pet friendliness. We do offer a “pet free” floor upon request, as we know some of our guests are allergic. Our valet charges are up to par with the rest of the downtown region - we actually charge a few dollars less than some hotels in the area. Again, thank you for your time and business.
Rancho Cucamonga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Warning - if you book through priceline.com don't be surprised if they treat you poorly. When we checked in around 3pm our room was warm and muggy. We turned the air condtioning on, but when we came back to the room it was warmer than when we checked it (80 degrees). The maintenance man came quickly, and "repaired" it. We came back to the hotel around midnight just in time to have a drink at the rooftop bar - it closes at 1am because the hotel is considered to be in a residential neighborhood (not the heart of the Gaslamp District). The bar was fine, and there is a nice view into Petco Park. As we approached our room we noticed that the guests in the room next to ours had packed up their belongings, and were checking out. We walked into our room, and had a good idea why. The room was now 86 degrees inside and absolutely unbearable! We called down to the front desk, and asked for the maintenance man to come back. After 20 minutes no one had come so my husband went to the front desk to inquire about it. The woman at the reception desk said she "forgot" to call us back, and that no one from maintenance was on duty at that time. My husband asked about another room, and she said none were available. She acknowledged that there was a problem with the air conditioning in some of the rooms, but she was unable to do anything. Needless to say we packed up our items, and were checked out by 1am. I asked for a refund on the room, and she said they couldn't do anything because it was booked through priceline.com. No one offered an apology, voucher, room credit or any assistance finding a new hote.. I called the hotel back the next day, and they said that there was no manager on duty (on a holiday weekend!) and I needed to file a complaint with their corporate office. Over a week later, and there has been no resolution from the hotel or priceline.com. Aside from our horrendous experience I still wouldn't recommend this hotel. The bathroom was dirty (I don't think the grout in the shower had been cleaned in months), there was poor water flow to the toilet, public areas needed sprucing up and the location is less than ideal. The only positive was the view from the rooftop bar. If looking to stay in the Gaslamp District you can do better than the Hotel Indigo. We had friends staying in the Andaz, and their room was beautiful with functioning A/C.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
30somethingtravelers,

Thank you for taking the time into writing such a detailed and informative review. I am sincerely apologetic for the inconveniences and dissatisfaction you experienced at out property. We strive for guest satisfaction and it is truly unfortunate we were not able to accommodate in your case. Again I thank you for delivering your feedback because our guest's comments and concerns enable us to grow as a property. I will ensure each department you encountered is informed of these issues.

We hope you give us the opportunity in the future and chose to stay with us again.
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I liked this hotel very much and I think it unfair of other reviews to downgrade the Indigo's rating because of the valet charge. The cost is very clearly stated on every website and is well worth the value received. The staff was uniformly excellent throughout the hotel, with outstanding attitudes, but the parking valets were amazing. They were cheerful, courteous, helpful and took great care of my rental car. Thanks to the texting feature offered, I never had to wait more than a minute, and the price charged was in line for the area. I also think it unfair to downgrade a rating for this property for nitpicks about the cleaning. My room was kept very clean, but I have to feel sorry for the housekeepers and the hotel manager - I would bet a representative of neither was on the committee that decided the decor for this place. The room was gorgeous, but who would decide on brown paint for the walls of a bathroom, much less white grout and a wooden soap dish? The bath would have to be power steamed every day to get all the water spots off and make it look as clean as it actually is. The room was quiet and comfortable, even on Padre game nights, a very easy location to walk to the Gaslamp, and great for avoiding the Gaslamp traffic hassles. The only complaint I have, and I think it is the one worth downgrading a star for, is the fact that their heralded 9th floor patio bar is not readily accessible to guests. It is often rented out for private functions and there was only one night during my stay when I had a chance to experience it - and then it was so full of non- guests watching a baseball game that I could not find a seat. It would be great if a section could be set aside and reservations taken for people actually paying to stay at the hotel. But I would still go back anytime I am visiting San Diego!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Renohighlander,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback. We’re truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your visit to the roof top bar (Level9). I have passed on this information to our food and beverage team so we can plan accordingly on our busier days. Thanks for choosing our property during your recent trip to San Diego – we hope to see you soon!
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Indigo is clean, well appointed, and well located, and the staff which we encountered were friendly and efficient. One unfortunate drawback for us though, was the adjoining doors, which I assume can be used to connect some rooms. These doors seem to have hardly any sound insulation, so if the people in the adjoining room decide to do something other than sleep (such as discuss loudly at 3am.) then you will need industrial strength earplugs if you want to sleep at all. I understand that noisy people are an issue for all hotels, but these interior doors could be be better insulated. The door to the corridor is also not super insulated, but there is generally less sound coming from the corridor. On the plus side, 2 calls to the night porter eventually silenced the offenders, although we were wide awake by then. Apart from this issue, an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room with no connecting door!