“Great Service, Nice Rooms -- Questionable Reservation System” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #44 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Danville, CA
“Great Service, Nice Rooms -- Questionable Reservation System”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Indigo for three days while attending a convention. This is the fourth time I've stayed at this hotel, and I'm always impressed by the quality of service and responsiveness. As an example, I needed to get some packages Fed-Ex'd back home after the convention, and while the hotel doesn't have a relationship with Fed-Ex, Sergio took it upon himself to babysit my packages, and got them back to me in NorCal within a couple of days. He went beyond the call of duty to make sure I was taken care of.

Another example -- on the next to last day of our stay we went downstairs for breakfast.The food server immediately informed us that the kitchen was severely stacked up and it would be about 45 minutes befor the food would come out. Sure enough, it took 45 minutes for the food, but the server comped our beverages andd took 25% off our food bill. The food was great, but the server's customer service was even better!

The only glitch I experienced was on the reservation side. I had booked four rooms and two were on the same reservation. One of our attendees was unable to make the trip, so I called about five days prior to arrival to cancel her reservation. While I only wanted to cancel one of the two rooms on the reservation, I was told I needed to cancel both rooms and make a new reservation for the single room. We did that, but the priced increased by almost $80 per night for that room. That didn't seem right, especially since I had two other rooms booked. Also, I could have booked the hotel through the convention for about $100 per night less, but I booked directly to ensure we would get good rooms. The great service they show at the hotel did not correspond to the questionable service at the reservation center, and it doesn't seem to be the best way to treat a Priority Club member.

When you stay at the Indigo, ask for a room facing PetCo Park, as the views are spectacular. The rooms are nice, and the wood floors enhance cleanliness. Also, try the outdoor bar on the 9th floor. On a night when the Padres are playing, you can actually watch the game from the bar area. Once again the Indigo did not disappoint, but they need to revisit their reservation sytem and corresponding pricing.

Room Tip: High floors with view of Petco Park
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
ZonemanDanville,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you are a repeat guest! I will ensure that both Sergio and my food and beverage department hear about the feedback you have provided.

I am so sorry to hear that you had trouble with the reservation desk. I sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced with this issue. I will ensure that we revisit the reservation department to ensure an easier method of adjusting reservations.

Again, I thank you for you comments and cannot wait to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My partner and I have stayed here the last few years in January for our anniversary "getaway" weekend (we live in North County San Diego). It's modern, clean, and it's best feature is its location - close to the stadium (though we can't take advantage in January :)) and all the great restaurants in East Village and the Gaslamp. No need for a car if you don't plan to leave the downtown San Diego area. We take the train down and it's moderate walk (or short trolley or cab ride) from the train station. They allow dogs in some of the rooms and have a pretty nice fitness center. We haven't gone to the rooftop bar but have heard good things about it.

The service we've experienced has always been good. Last trip, we decided to get room service on our there and had a little problem with the wrong menu being in the room. But after we talked to the manager, he personally brought the food up to our room and comped much of our meal

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather O,

Thank you for your review about our Hotel Indigo! It is wonderful to hear you've enjoyed your time both here at the hotel and in the Gaslamp District. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our room service but I am happy to hear we were able to remedy the situation.

The next time you visit you will have to try out both the Level 9 Terrace along with a Padres game. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and again thank you for your time in writing a great review of our property.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Right in the middle of the Gaslamp. Walk to great dining. A baseball's throw from Petco Park. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious, immaculate and comfortable. My wife and I checked in on a Thursday and were driving back to Tucson right after she finished the Rock & Roll Marathon on June 2nd. A late checkout allowed her to get a shower before hitting the road. They gave us great recommendations for meals and were just super helpful. Parking was $39.00 a night, so next time we'll fly but there is no question as to where we'll stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dana W,

What wonderful words to describe our Hotel Indigo! Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback. I am delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your time in San Diego and that we were able to assist you in that late check out after that exhausting race. We look forward to seeing you and your wife again in the future.
Greensburg, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was a girlfriend trip, four of us were in a room, good thing we are great friends! The employes are the most friendly and helpful. We had an air conditioning problem on our second night, called and they sent Richard up and he had it fixed in no time. He brought two fans up, in case we needed them. Location is great, especially if you like baseball. This is a very pet friendly place. I would highly recomend this hotel to my family and friends.

Room Tip: Up, go up to the tenth floor!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Susan R,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel Indigo for a girlfriend get-a-way. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your time in the Gaslamp District. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the air conditioning unit but am glad that Richard was able to assist you ladies. We are currently troubleshooting the air conditioning units to ensure cool rooms for you the next time you stay with us.

Again, we thank you for the feedback and look forward to you staying with us again.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Indigo Suites for two nights for the Rock and Roll Marathon on June 2nd. We were very pleased with our entire stay. We spent two evenings sitting at the roof top bar enjoying the views and drinks. I want to specifically thank Nicky at the front desk. On the night of the race we called for a wakeup call and asked for directions to the start line of the race. Afterwards I received a call from her asking if I was interested in having her arrange transportation for us. She then called several other guests to see if they would be willing to share a van with us to keep the costs to a minimum. In the morning my wife and I joined 6 other couples for a ride to the start line. This made our morning so much easier than it would have been. Thank you so much for taking the initiative to help us even without us asking. Everyone at the hotel had this type of a positive attitude and commitment to customer satisfaction. As a result I will only stay here on my trips to San Diego!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Spencer702,

Thank you for choosing our Indigo while attending the Rock and Roll Marathon! I am happy to hear that Nicky was able to provide you and the other racers options for transportation. I will ensure she reads your feedback of both her service and of our property. It is wonderful that you were able to take advantage of our Level 9 Terrace while staying and that the views were up to par. I am also pleased to hear that we were able to demonstrate positive attitudes and great customer service; it is what we strive for here at our Hotel Indigo--guest satisfaction.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in San Diego.
Rumford, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed, immensely, our four-days' stay at the Indigo. We were there for a wedding. We're from R.I. and flew in for the event.

The hotel's location is within walking distance of so many venues - restaurants, shops, convention center, the ball park, the ocean - I couldn't possibly list them all here. So, the location is fantastic.

The staff was always cordial and accommodating, treating us and the other guests with utmost respect. Of particular note was our young "chambermaid", Esther. Whenever we left and returned to our room, she saw to it that it was in spotless condition. She's a credit to her profession and to her Indigo.

Cleanliness within a hotel is extremely important to us; and even though Indigo caters to pet owners, but for my seeing people with their pets, I would not have suspected pets were there: that's how clean the hotel is. There weren't any odors, no "signs" of pets, nothing. The hotel always looked and smelled clean.

If I ever travel to San Diego again, Indigo is where we'll be staying.

Room Tip: Just an aside. We were on the 12th floor. What a view we had. I expected delays, waiting for the el...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Ernie-Joe69,

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the location of our Hotel Indigo while visiting San Diego. Thank you for taking the time to write a fantastic review along with commenting on Esther's services. We will ensure she hears this great feedback. We here at the Hotel Indigo strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible including ensuring 100% cleanliness. Although we love our furry friends visiting, we make certain our property remains spotless.

Thank you again for your kind words of our hotel and cannot wait to see you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here when we went to San Diego for a wedding, and we had a generally good stay. The room was clean and nicely designed, and the service was friendly. I loved that it was a pet-friendly hotel (even though we didn't have a pet), and the food at the hotel restaurant was generally good. The fitness center is smaller and a little sadder than the photos make it seem online, but it was totally fine for our needs. There is a business center where you can use their printer and computers free of charge, and there is free wifi in the rooms. In general, I would recommend this hotel and would consider staying here again. We had several negative experiences, most related to the service:

First, I had reserved several nights for the wedding weekend, and then I realized I needed an additional night at the front-end of the trip. I called to make the reservation and was told I would have to pay a different rate than the rest of the reservation. I said that was fine (after all, I was making the reservation so much later than the first reservation). They very kindly told me they'd be able to keep me in the same room the whole time. When I checked in, the guy at the front desk assured me I'd be in the same room the whole time, and I didn't have to do anything more. Great. Then, after I spent my first night, around 11am, when I had my "do not disturb" sign out, a guy knocked on my door and asked if I was checking out! No, I told him, I had another reservation and was told I didn't have to do anything about it. The guy said that actually I had to go down to the front desk and check in and out and get new keys. Okay, not the end of the world, but really annoying to be told at first that I didn't have to do anything, and then to be interrupted when I had my "do not disturb" sign out and told that actually I *did* have to do something.

Second, the bedside clock in our room was not set to the correct time. We tried for a while to set it correctly, but we couldn't figure out how to do it, even after looking for the instruction manual online. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up "right away." This was around 11pm at night, and both my husband and I wanted to get to sleep, but it took about 20 minutes for someone to arrive. Then, the guy they sent couldn't figure out how to set the time, either! It's one thing to outfit the rooms with such horrible clocks (not the end of the world), but they should at least have someone on the staff who knows how to set them. When the guy left, he didn't even offer to find out and come back--he just sort of shrugged and said sorry and left!

Third, I knew I had a package coming addressed to me care of the hotel. I alerted the front desk that the package would be arriving from UPS, and they said they'd be sure to get it to me. On the day I knew I was supposed to have received the package, I called the front desk and asked if it had arrived. The woman I spoke to located it. I said I'd be down to get it, and she said not to bother coming down, that she would send someone up right away with the package. Great, right? I waited 20 minutes, but I couldn't wait any longer--we had to leave for the rehearsal dinner. So I went down to the front desk, and I asked about my package. It was sitting at the end of the front desk, where anyone could have picked it up and walked off with it! It had never been given to anyone to bring to me! And I didn't even ASK for it to be brought to me! And the woman at the front desk didn't even apologize.

Fourth, the valet parking is atrociously highly priced ($39/night). I used it the first night and then I parked my car myself in nearby lots. I recommend this approach. Also, note that the cost of the valet parking is $39, not $38, which is what the hotel says on its website and even what the people on the "reservations" line say it is. I know it's only a dollar's difference, but the people making reservations and the hotel's website should provide accurate information about the cost of their services.

Fifth, for the day that I used the valet parking, I was given a stub and told to text the number on my stub when I wanted my car, and it would be ready for me when I got down to the lobby. This system did not work, and my car was not waiting for me. The valet on duty said they didn't receive my text.

Sixth, the room has a self-controlled thermostat, which is nice, but every time the AC kicks in, it makes a loud click (or at least it did in our room). It woke up both my husband and me all night long on our first night. Then my husband figured out how to set the fan to run continuously all night, which isn't particularly "green" and which we didn't need in terms of temperature, but it was a way to avoid the constant clicking.

Seventh, and this is probably more a matter of preference than anything else, their pillows are REALLY thick, like three times the thickness of a normal pillow, which I find uncomfortable, but which some people might like.

I guess this is a lot of negatives, but overall, as I said, the experience was a generally good one, and I wouldn't avoid this hotel in the future, although I think they can work on their service in particular.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear perzsa84,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay because of the rates for parking. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

Thank you for all your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!