“Beautiful hotel with some minor issues” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #38 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oklahoma City, OK
“Beautiful hotel with some minor issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the hotel Indigo for a conference. It is a nice 8 block walk to the convention center in the very busy Gaslamp Quarter. The hotel lobby is very nicely decorated and the restaurant is good. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. One complaint I have is that the shower smells like mildew. It looks as thought the bathroom was recently remodeled but it had that awful smell even after daily cleanings. The other complaint is about how they billed me. I gave them my credit card to scan for incidentals and asked if they would be placing a hold on my account for any funds. They stated that they would hold $75 but that was it. A couple of days later I was checking my account and they had a hold for over $1400!! When I asked about this, they were unsure why it had held more then $400 more then my actual bill was going to be. They did offer to call my bank and have the charges taken off but at that time (Friday) it would not have come off before Monday anyway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is just average. The modern styling is not 4 star. The amenities are basic. It does have an open pet policy. The nicest part of the whole place is the hard flooring in the rooms. Every hotel should take note and do this. It helps to make the room feel so much cleaner. Although the hotel is nice, it isn't plush or rich like I expect a 4 star hotel to be. The service is ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear clayton15,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I appreciate the compliments on the level of cleanliness and service provided.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied, as such, I am sorry if some of our amenities failed to live up to your expectations. We always try our best to fulfill our guest needs and we regret that we did not deliver on this occasion.

Your feedback will be reviewed and will be used to reconsider improvements. We hope that you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Dhan M
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I usually enjoy my stays at the hip or boutique versions of large hotel chains like the Indigo, W, So etc and this is not too much of an exception. The lobby and front desk is not your usual boring style. The service is ok. The room is pleasantly larger than normal, and the view is of the gaslamp district, with a peek of the harbor. Talking about the gaslamp district, this is a good area for bars and restaurants. Back to the room, it has the flat screen and shower, which I prefer. The Aveda brand toiletries are great. Everything in the room is mismatched and colorful, in the hip way. And they bother to deliver newspapers to the door, which is good. The gym is uninspiringly small and windowless, so I skipped it. This is probably 1 of the better hotels in San Diego, barring any personal preferences against such hotels

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here for five nights and enjoyed every minute. The location is near Petco Park and Gaslamp Quarter. Everyone at the Hotel Indigo was pleasant and helpful. Best part is the open pet policy. If you want to bring your pet along you can do this with no strings attached. That's right, no agreements to sign, no deposits or fees. Just bring Fido or Fluffy with you at check-in and all are welcome. As a Priority Club member you will enjoy a manager's reception on Wednesday with a couple of complimentary beverages and snacks. On game night, stop by the rooftop bar for food specials and a view of the park's outfield where you can watch the game on TV.

Room Tip: The city view rooms are nice, but if you want to open the window for fresh air keep in mind you get...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel was perfect for our one night stay in San Diego. We were able to walk everywhere and it was nice and clean and super comfortable. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful upon arriving, they extended check-out for us and held our bags all day while we were out exploring.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our stay was actually exceeding expectations until the hotel valet had our rental car ticketed by the city by parking it in a no parking zone next to the hotel. We witnessed the by-law enforcement office issue the ticket and interact with the valet over the matter, and so I brought it to the attention of the manager on duty: "Not to worry, Sir. This happens all the time, Sir. I can assure you we'll take care of it, Sir" It turns out that they didn't bother. The car rental company sent me a threatening letter, poised to charge my credit card. So I appealed to the hotel manager (who didn't return my calls for days) to square things with the rental company. Eventually I got: "Not to worry, Sir. I can assure you we'll take care of it, Sir." But nobody bothered and I was billed by the rental company ($172.50 total). I called the hotel again and again my calls were not returned, though I was eventually emailed by the third party company the manages valet parking. They were sorry, but they were sure that the ticket was paid, so it must have been the city accidentally billing the rental car company, so clearly I should just wait for a few more months while they all sort out this bureaucratic mess... Not a compelling story. I suggested that they, or the hotel, simply reimburse me, and then spend as much time as they liked sorting it out with the city/rental company: "Sorry Sir, our hands are tied, Sir" So I called guest relations at the parent company, and after series of similar brush-offs, I eventually got someone who agreed to make me whole. You see, the parent company, Intercontinental Hotels Group, is unwilling to get involved in billing matters as these are matters for each their independently owned hotel properties, but I eventually convinced them that this was more a matter of terrible service, and for such matters the parent company is willing to compensate. But of course when the check arrived my name was misspelled, so now I await a stop payment order and check re-issuing...

This is an otherwise nice hotel, and otherwise a good value apart from the $38/night fee for valet parking plus fines.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear JAY O,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. It is with deep regret that your stay was negatively affected by the issues encountered with our valet services. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and sorry for the inconvenience.

Pam G.
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights over a recent weekend while my girlfriend attended a convention. Rooms were large, attractive and well appointed, unfortunately the sheers were missing from our third floor window making it uncomfortable to leave the drapes open. Conveniently located a short walk to the Gaslamp main area as well as Petco Park, we were treated to fireworks over the stadium one evening. We experienced very uneven water temperature in the shower and the soundproofing of the room left much to be desired, a fact seemingly known to the hotel as we mentioned it on checkout and no surprise there. Among the most expensive valet rates in the area as well, added to the lower than expected rating and we'll try another hotel on our next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear JPWOTG,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!