“Wouldnt stay at this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #44 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Glendale, California
“Wouldnt stay at this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here because it was close to the convention center and we didnt want to stay at the Marriot where all my husbands customers were staying. When we arrived valet parking was $40.00 a day, so we self parked 2 blocks away since we would be walking or taking cabs for $15.00 a day. My husband unloaded the car and put our luggage on the cart while the bellman was talking to a co-worker. Im thinking to myself whats wrong with this picture. When the bellman unloads the cart just kind of throws all the stuff in one spot, ok. Then my husband gives him a $10 tip. For what? I was shocked that they didnt have movies you can purchase on demand. I have been sick, major health issues and planning on staying in and watching movies. So I stayed in the room and watched Doner( the cop killer) and the storms back east on CNN. The dates of this trip were Feb7th, 8th and 9th. My husbands trade show ending Sat the 9th so he packed up his show and we decided not stay Sat the 9th over and drive home. At 4pm I tried to order 2 grilled cheese sandwiches from room service for the ride home, Oh sorry the kitchens closed. Great, I dont eat meat or fast food. Also, they advertise a paper delivered to your door, never saw that. Kerig coffee maker with only 1 cup of regular coffee 1 decaf and 2 teas. Cost me 5 bucks to have them bring extra coffee to the room for tip. We had to pay for the last night because it was prepaid. Complaining on the way out they didnt seem to care very much. Never going to stay in a hotel Indigo again!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you Hanson6260 for taking your time to review our hotel. I regret that you had issues with so many facets of our property. All of the information provided will be used to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to further discuss your stay, and any other measures you would like to communicate, please contact me at darren.queen@ihg.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Hudson, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

It was my pleasure to stay at the hotel for five nights during a convention. It is clear that from the architect, designers and managers have a clear and unifying theme. I am guessing that before any decision is made they ask “is it cool, is it tasteful, is it of high quality and will it appeal to millennials.”

Every detail of this hotel fits this mantra. The front desk is three ovals, the computers in the lobby are Apples, the designs of the lobby are hip, dogs are welcome; even the menu presentations are cool. The music in the lobby fits the scene and I enjoyed being welcomed back to the hotel every night-I don’t even get that at home every night!

The rooms are not some cookie-cutter variety. Trust me, every details from the bathroom sink, décor, lamps, towel holders and furniture (I didn’t list them all) are well chosen and fits the theme I mentioned above.

I noticed lots of young, hip people gathered in the lobby with a sprinkling of baby boomers. If you are in San Diego and have to stay close to the baseball stadium, Fifth Street or the Convention Center-book this hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the ball park.
Magog, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed at the Indigo the first week of February, 2013 for a conference. I was very satisfied with the big comfortable rooms and the king size bed. Best sleep I ever had. Best in-room coffee ever! Everyone from the front desk to the lounge are extremely polite and greet you with a smile.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Petco Stadium offer a great view!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend getaway. The location is pretty good. It is technically listed as being "downtown" as opposed to the Gaslamp area, but it is very near the Gaslamp area. If you want to be close to that area, but are concerned about noise, this would be an excellent choice, as it is within easy walking distance. The ballpark is very nearby as well. If you want to spend lots of time at the Seaport Villeage area, then you will have a longer walk. We made the walk once, but when you combing walking there, walking around, and then walking back, it would make for a very long day of walking.

If I am not mistaken, the only option is valet parking, which I think is expensive. My memory is that we ended up somehow getting a very favorable room rate, so were ok with paying the extra, or we got some kind of room+valet rate, as otherwise I almost never pay for valet parking...but I think it is "required" at this hotel. The valet worked out just fine. They were always able to get the car within reasonable time of asking and given the way the hotel is set up, it is easy to sit indoors and wait if need be.

The hotel is very modern, new looking, and clean. The main lobby downstairs is actually rather small, but I don't necessarily mean that as a negative comment...just an observation. Check in desk is within 20 feet or so of front door, there is a decent cafe area off to the right, and then elevators are direclty beside check in. So you won't be getting lost or dragging bags very far.

The room was very nice. Looked brand new. Had hard wood floors, which was a nice touch that is rare in hotels. Grant it, I suspect if might not have been "real" hardwood but certainly had the look and feel. Room was not overly large or small....comfortable. Bathroom was surprisingly spacious with a very nice walk in shower....that two can easily fit in. Bed was very comfortable and I recall the room being very quite.

We ended up using the cafe down stairs for breakfast most mornings. I'd go down and order the food and bring it back up to the room (I am sure they'd bring it up if you wanted to pay for that). They always put everything together very professionally for us, with everything we needed. I recall the food being fine. Nothing great but no bad either. There aren't any food options "very" near by. If you wanted to get up and walk 10 mintues for breakfast you easily could but you'd definitely have to walk the 10 minutes...not just down the corner.

And then of course you have the eco cred of the hotel...which is really what the place is all about. If you are not interested in that, what I'd say is you won't notice it and you'll have a great say. If you do care, then you'll get to stay a great hotel and feel good too.

We did not really get a chance to spend time on the rooftop bar. We visited in the morning when it wasn't open and it looked very nice/cool but otherwise we didn't use it. Same with the gym, so no comments on either.

For a relaxing, quite, and comfortable stay, very near the Gaslamp Quarter, with some eco cred, this is a great choice...but make sure you factor in the cost of valet parking into your bill/cost comparison (although most hotels in this area will likely be valet only as well, except for the Marriott Marquis, which you can self park for about $25.00/day).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel as a downtown option. I usually stay at the Solamar or Hilton Lofts. I would say if the price is right this is a very nice alternative boutique hotel.

The hotel itself was very very clean and had a 4 star feel. The room I got had a wonderful view into Petco which was nice as I had just booked the cheapest room available.The room itself was top notch with wood flooring and high end amenities.

The rooftop bar a nice place to catch a sunset and just hangout. The bartender was friendly and the view was good.

Only two issues were troubling: 1. There ice machines/soda are on every other floor which means you gotta travel to get ice which kinda blows. Also the machines below and above me were out of 75% of their stuff, no diet anything. 2. I called for food at 10:30PM on a Saturday night and was told there was nothing left except maybe a premade turkey wrap. A hotel of this quality should have rooms service later than 10 and especially on a Saturday.

Overall if you get a good rate try it out. I have already re-booked a night in April and look forward to the return.

Room Tip: Views of petco appear to be rooms ending in 8-16.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you Moxsd for your review of our property! I am greatly pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and have already booked a future stay. Please email me your confirmation number to darren.queen@ihg.com so we may ensure your stay will be even more pleasant!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Indigos in Europe and I loved them for their uniqueness and extraordinary customer service, which is why I was extremely excited to stay at the Hotel Indigo in San Diego. They did not disappoint. The hotel and its room are aesthetically pleasing and modern, and the customer service was AMAZING.

The location is also great. It offers some great city views and views of Petco Park. The rooftop bar is great with fireplaces and a stunning view of Petco Park and the city. It’s only a few blocks from Gaslamp: a short walk to great restaurants and a short stumble back from San Diego’s best bars.

I understand the concerns about the hotel being extremely dog friendly, but we hardly noticed. My mother is extremely allergic to dogs, and she had no problem. The floors of the rooms are hardwood, which helps, and we saw no indication that a dog had stayed in our room. I wouldn’t hold the hotel accountable for the irresponsibility of certain dog owners.

Finally, the prices of the rooms are very reasonable. I am looking forward to staying here again (and at other Hotel Indigos) and I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and family, dog owners or not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here for two days for a meeting, and found the hotel to be an excellent stay. About 2 blocks from the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, so it was very easy to reach all of that, including the large mall downtown (aobut 7-9 minute walk.) The rooms were well appointed, and the staff was nice. The restaurant had a limited menu, but it was a good place for lunch when they open up the side of the hotel and it is open air.
I know there is nothing the hotel can do about this, but when checking out early on Sunday (4:45 am), I was surprised to see my elevator open on 10th floor and see a guy just finishing urinating all over the elevator. At least he did say "excuse me" before he hustled off and went on his way. I dont think he really knew what floor he was on anyway!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!