“Contemporary style with great access to the Gaslamp and Seaport village” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #38 of 268 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ascot
“Contemporary style with great access to the Gaslamp and Seaport village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed for a week at this hotel and during that time had a good opportunity to sample the food, service and rooms as well as being able to explore the surrounding Gaslamp District, Seaport village and bay front.

The hotel is generally very clean and tidy and the room I stayed in was very well appointed with a very comfortable bed .The bathroom was clean and fresh and all facilities worked very well. All staff I hasd the pleasure of meeting were extremly courteous and helpful particularly when it came to advising directions, which returants to choose and avoid and where to go. The bar is lively in the evenings with very helpful staff on hand to help choose a coctail or two.

Halloween celebrations were well underway during my stay with may revelers chossing to stay at this hotel which was fun and in no way detrimental to my stay.

The Seaport Viallage is very touristy as you would expect but pleasant nonetheless. I ate the Fish Market one day which was very good with excellent views over the harbour. I can also highly reccomend La Fiesta Mexican and La Seville in the Gaslamp district. Do alos go to Old Town (TRhe trolley system is very cost effective and simple to use) and try food at the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Excellent!

Would I reccomend this hotel? Yes Clean, well located, good staff and close to the attractions

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of Petco Park Baseball field are worth asking for. I fortunatly had a corner room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Clive,
We would like to thank you for your review! We are so glad to see you had a great time with us at Hotel Indigo. Halloween in San Diego is a special time and we are pleased that our bar and staff were able to make your Halloween celebrations memorable. We are also pleased that the location worked well with your vacations plans of visiting seaport village and enjoying the neighborhood experience of Gaslamp San Diego. We can’t wait to have you back for another visit!

1,117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in San Diego at Hotel Indigo... we absolutely thought this place was fantastic. Everyone was very friendly throughout the hotel and willing to help you with any questions in planning your days.
Our room was super clean, and always made up(we would leave about 9:30 and return at 5:00 to a spotless room), it was great. The bar/lounge downstairs, we would always end our evening out by stopping for a glass of wine at the bar. They were very friendly, would chat with us, and obviously remembered what we drank. Only slight downside, we ate dinner one night at the hotel and the dinner menu is very small to choose from, but the food was fantastic. We loved being by the Gaslamp Quarter, a quick 5 minute walk over to all the restaurants and bars, we ate somewhere different every day, so many places to choose from. I would defintely return to Hotel Indigo... oh ya, I was so looking forward to their mascot dog I saw on the internet, however, she was not there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JA,
We are so happy to hear that your Honeymoon was a wonderful experience! We are absolutely thrilled to know that we were a part of your special memory. Thank you for the dazzling comments of our housekeeping staff and food and beverage department. We look forward to making more memories with you and your family.
Century City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Parking costs an additional $38.00, that's if you can't find parking on the street, which is rare. That's the welcome we received. The check in process was simple and to the point. We happen to have gotten upgraded to a higher floor which was nice, the 8th floor. FYI- do not place room key in your wallet. Once you do it automatically demagnetizes therefore your access to the elevator is compromised not to mention your room you paid for. Taking a ride up and down the elevator was not fun. Then the evening came.

We arrived on Saturday, October 27th which I know now is a big Halloween evening for San Diego. Which is fine it's just that I didn't realize we would be right across from the Halloween block party that did not end till 12:30am. Pounding music. Then the nightclub that is on the 9th floor began. That lasted till about 4:45am. I didn't get a wink of sleep till 5am. I don't recommend this hotel. It is simple not elegant but basic. It may be circumstantial but I will not spend money to stay at this place even if they paid me.

Room Tip: Avoid the 8th Floor. It is under the bar/club which is on the 9th floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Diana,

We apologize for the dissatisfied feelings you had after your stay with us. As the Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo, I would like to speak with you directly. Please call my direct line anytime at 619-986-4803 or email me at darren.queen@ihg.com. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to rectify any lingering negative feelings.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently was married in San Diego and we booked 17 rooms at The Indigo. Our experience was perfect. From check in to check out every person was totally happy with the staff and the rooms. An extra thanks to Sheila Peirce who is in charge of Wedding Planning. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who is staying in Downtown SD

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We are so delighted that Hotel Indigo was able to share on your Special Day! Our staff genuinely ensures that we do our best to make each guest experience memorable at our hotel. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping and our wonderful sales department plays a vital role in providing the best service! We hope to see you return back again soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at the Indigo Hotel while attending a convention at the conference center in Oct. The hotel is located in the east village area of San Diego only around three blocks from the 5th Ave entertainment area.The hotel is very modern in design.The staff is very friendly ,and very helpful with dining recommendations.Unfortunately the valet parking is expensive at $38/day.This hotel was quite a satisfactory alternative to thr Marriott and the Hyatt with their high convention rates. lew604

Lew604,
We are so pleased that Hotel Indigo provided the value that you wanted during your convention and was a great alternative to other hotels in the area. Thank you for your comments on the staff being helpful and informative. We do strive to make each interaction between guest and our hotel staff as helpful and useful as possible!
London/LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I booked to stay at the Hotel Indigo for our third year anniversary. First impressions of the hotel were very positive. The lobby is bright, minimalist and immaculate. We were greeted by Darren at check-in, who was very friendly and good-humoured. We explained that it was our anniversary and we would like one of their nicer rooms for our two night stay. Needless to say when we saw our room was on the 2nd floor with a rather dim view of the street, we were not happy. The room itself was lovely and very big given the fact that it was a wheelchair access room; the bathroom was also configured for wheelchair access. When we called to ask for another room we were told that the hotel was fully booked and that even with a paid upgrade, nothing was available. Darren told us to call tomorrow morning when there would be some availability. If the room hadn’t been so nice we would have been really disappointed. The bed was super comfortable and would have made for a relaxing night’s rest had the noise from the street, not been such a disturbance. We called the following morning and management explained that if we packed our bags they would be moved for us to a new room for our final night. We returned from a fantastic day at the San Diego Safari Park and were told we had a new room but that our bags may not have been moved yet. Super friendly, David O showed us to our new room on the 12th floor (!) and retrieved our bags for us. Wow, the view from the new room was worth the hassle of moving. It was a spectacular view of the bay. The room was obviously smaller but the view and noise level made it the perfect room for us after an exhausting day. We were grateful the hotel stepped up and made our stay so enjoyable.

Pros: Good wifi, superb location (5 min walk to Gas-Lamp), friendly staff (Darren, David O, Melissa), coffee machine w/nice tea options included, comfortable bed/pillows, unique flooring, nice shower with Aveda products.

Cons: Hotel valet parking is steep at $38 so we paid for a nearby Ace parking structure at $15 overnight, the hotel terrace bar on the 9th floor was going through some renovation, so was only partly open.

Overall: Get a room with a view and you will be so pleased with this hotel. It has everything you need for a comfortable and luxurious stay in San Diego.

Room Tip: The higher the better, just bear in mind there is construction through October on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! Hotel Indigo’s location is wonderful for those who are looking to experience the Downtown Area of San Diego. Our staff does the best we can to ensure that we are able to honor any requests made from our guests to create a memorable stay. We are pleased that we were able to find a room that you were extremely satisfied with on the 12th floor with a great view of the city! We do hope that you will return again soon when the construction is completed to reveal our spectacular newly-renovated roof top bar & lounge Level 9!
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was excited to stay here at the Indigo for IDWeek recently. I'll start with the positives: generally clean room, though it had not been dusted thoroughly, friendly staff on check-in, and nice facilities (rooftop bar that I did not use but it looked fun, exercise room though only 1 of 2 treadmills was working). The primary negatives are the issue I had in being there for a work conference. It's a good 10-12 minute walk to the conference center from the hotel- and that's if you're doing a pretty decent pace. It's not terribly inconvenient but it does take some extra time/planning if you're using the hotel for this purpose, and it's also not the best area of town, especially at night. The biggest negative was their slow and then completely non-existent internet access in my room. As I was there for work, I was trying to connect and do some work before/after the conference meetings and in the mornings in particular. The first day the connection was very slow, but improved with connecting via ethernet. The 2nd day we got a letter under the door indicating that it wasn't working at all in the rooms, that they expected up to a 24 hour outage, and that we could use the wireless connection in the lobby and receive a free drink for the "inconvenience." The problem was not solved the next day, nor the next (day of check-out), though I was able to connect down in the lobby. This was a major inconvenience and when I asked about the internet connection in my room the 2nd and 3rd days, I got very brisk and unhelpful answers from the front desk staff. I did have a nice check-out experience and they emailed me my bill when I thought I'd lost the paper copy, but on the 2nd bill they sent, they added a random $5.00 charge to the 2nd bill and billed my credit card separately for it. Overall I was not that impressed with this hotel, was severely inconvenienced despite their assurances of internet access and wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter? Share your experiences!