“Great for the money, residential-type atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Parc Suites
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   2245 K Street, 506 22nd Street, San Diego, CA 92102   |
Ranked #14 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
Lakeside, MT
“Great for the money, residential-type atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I really enjoyed this place. It's basically an apartment, with a kitchen, appliances (including a garbage disposal) and all the cookware, dishes, etc. Kind of a Victorian home (I think it's on the National Register or something like that) that has been remodeled into multiple apartments.

Some have made negative comments about the neighborhood. I just didn't see it as a big deal. It's across the street from a school so how bad can it be? The school is newer but outwardly resembles a minimum-security prison--a testament to the age in which we live. I was there eleven days and I never saw any homeless people, etc. It's a working-class neighborhood and, true, you only have to go two or three blocks to be in kind of a rough-looking industrial-type neighborhood but it is really just not a problem.

The main thing that I find lacking in hotels in which I stay, including some pricey ones now and then, is quiet. This place was basically quiet. One day there was some moron a couple of houses down washing his car and had his hip hop turned all the way up. The only words in the music seemed to begin with F or N. I have heard music down the street occasionally but never really after going to bed. The manager, Kelly, is very nice and sweet and takes quiet very seriously. While I was there, other guests were never a problem, and if there had been a problem I don't think Kelly would have let it go on.

I look at the parking situation as a definite positive. There is usually parking on the street during the day and evening. At night you can park in enclosed locked parking. Yes, you have to drag your butt out of the car, unlock and open a gate, park, then go back and close and lock it. (Just remember to take your key out of the lock. I lost mine this way and Kelly was very nice about it. Interestingly, two days later someone else did the same thing and I turned that key in). Anyway, all this is a small price to pay, IMHO, for the peace of mind of knowing your car's not going to be messed with...a reassurance that I didn't even feel at the Hilton Resort in San Diego.

There is a laundramat on the premises. Dollar to wash, dollar to dry. The only downside is that this is where the employees do the laundry for the establishment and they will leave it in the machines for hours or even overnight. Don't be bashful about taking it out. They don't sell soap. There is liquid soap there which the employees use. I don't know if it is supposed to be for general consumption or not.

They do not make up your room while you are there but were happy to provide new towels when I asked. If you want bar soap you'll need to bring or buy it. Bring your own shampoo/conditioner. There was no air conditioning, which was not a problem in March. I had the heat on. May be a different story in August. They have three fans with remote controls. There was a very nice flat screen TV with high-def feed. They should provide some type of laminated sheet to tell you what the active channels are. It took me awhile to figure out that the regular network news was on, I think, channel 1007 (it starts at channel 2). No DVR player.

Watch that curb step painted with red and white hash marks in front of the porch. I didn't and fell and split my lip open. Kelly happened to be there and was very concerned and sympathetic.

I definitely plan to return, especially for an extended stay when I come to volunteer in Tijuana. I would think there still may be a role for a more traditional setting (like on the water, etc.) if I were coming with my wife for a shorter period for a vacation. Previously on this these trips I have stayed at the Motel 6 downtown, Motel 6 on Clairemont Mesa Blvd, and Days Inn on Rosecrans. This was far and away much better for the same or less cost.

Room Tip: Didn't see any of the other rooms, and I think that they are all different. I stayed in #7. It...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had great service, and a fantastic time. Granite counter-tops, cable, comfy bed, nice staff, and an overall Gem. People also complained about the "sketchy" location. This is not in the ghetto, and it is not in La Jolla (Mitt Romney Richville). It's across the street from an elementary school for goodness sake. Overall a great stay, great value, will try to return.

Room Tip: No swimming pool...couldn't unselect it. Go grocery shopping and take advantage of the kitchen...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We found this gem on Vacation Rentals By Owner. The apartment was above and beyond what we had expected. This was an old Victorian Home was the renovated into several apartments. The unit was spacious with updated appliances, coziness of home and close to the gas lamp district. We had a kitchen big enough to make meals. The home is gated with parking in the back. Public transportation such as the trolley was a great find for all you can ride $5.00.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious, comfortable and large.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Morehead City, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I found this little gem on line and the unit was just as described. I frequently walked down to the gaslamp district or the cab ride was a cheap 6.00. This place is very quiet and the bed is incredibly comfortable. Laundry facilities on site which added to the convenience. A nicely appointed kitchen made dinner prep (when I didn't go out) very easy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I continue to travel to San Diego regularly. I have stayed here before, and continue to stay at Parc Suites every time I come to San Diego. I work remotely, usually for a week at a time, and it is great to be just outside of downtown, but a 10 minute walk in various directions to everything in the downtown area (ok, except maybe Little Italy, but I LOVE to walk so it's no problem).

Of course, you can also easily access public transportation, or rent a bike.

What I especially love about my trip just last month was the fact that they upgraded me to a larger 1 bedroom when one happened to open up at the last minute—at no additional charge.

It was appreciated, especially since the upstairs rooms tend to be a little quieter.

I continue to feel like this place is a second home. While it's true it's in a transitioning neighborhood, I have never had any problems (I think another reviewer called it "sketchy," and while I would definitely say this is not one of the more affluent neighborhoods, people in this relatively quiet area are always friendly.

I'm actually already booking my next stay... I think that would be my fifth trip there, if I remember correctly.

While I think you sometimes need to be flexible to something a little different at Parc Suites, I highly recommend them for more seasoned travelers that want to be somewhere that feels a little more like home—not a traditional hotel in the middle of it all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was shocked that this b&b is in a fairly sketchy part of town. Lots of nearby houses had bars on the windows. Yikes. Never have I stayed in such a sketchy area.

They showed me where you can park in back in a lot...but you need to get out of your car to open the lock on the gate and manually slide it open. What, is this 1950?

To boot, I was awoken 3 of my 4 nights there by a jackhammer that was literally right outside my window. I know this isn't their fault but come on!

To top it off, I got a $100 parking ticket for not curbing my wheels to the curb. Ugh.

The inside of the unit I stayed in was minimalist and everything felt cheap. You couldn't even stand in front of the sink to brush your teeth because the sink was mounted sideways in the bathroom. I know it is an old building but come on! As the shower had a shelf so high for soap and items you couldn't even see the top of it let alone see what you put in there.

The kitchen was well stocked and it was nice to have a full size fridge and stove, etc, but overall the inside just felt more like a cheap motel than a nice, comfy b&b.

I'm sorry, I hate to write bad reviews but I never would have booked this place if I had read even one honest review like mine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had an extended stay in San Diego for eight weeks for a Navy school; the military billeting was full and needed a comfortable place to stay for a long time at a reasonable rate. I've stayed for a couple months in a Comfort Inn, and that gets old after a while. Parc Suites fit the bill perfectly: it is clean, comfortable and convenient to Naval Station San Diego. There was a full kitchen in both rooms I stayed in (I had to move once due to the length of my stay), giant flat screen TV's, and decent WiFi. Basically everything I needed.

I did have some minor issues with WiFi, for some reason my iPad and Iphone would not connect, but my laptop had no issues. There is off street parking, but even though I didn't think is would be, it was less convenient than parking on the street and I rarely used it, since you have to drive around the back alley, get out of the car, open the gate, drive in, close the gate - not good if you are in a hurry, which I usually was. You are asked to do your own cleaning during your stay - not a problem for me, but may not be in some people's plans. The owner, Kelly, and her staff are friendly and sociable and very helpful. I left some things behind by mistake after my stay and when I was back in San Diego a month later, I was able to go back and pick them up.

This is not a good place for a family stay, but excellent for a couple or individual that are not looking for luxury resort accomodations, but somewhere to be comfortable after doing whatever it is they are in San Diego to do. There is coin-operated laundry and the owner provided complimentary beach towels on a first come first served basis. A couple of blocks away is the trolley station, and if you don't mind a brisk hike through a sketchy neighborhood, 20-30 minute walk to the Gaslamp. It's very remniscent of hostel living, but less sharing. Loved it, will gladly stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Parc Suites? Share your experiences!