“Bleh” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 42 San Diego B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Bleh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was shocked that this b&b is in a fairly sketchy part of town. Lots of nearby houses had bars on the windows. Yikes. Never have I stayed in such a sketchy area.

They showed me where you can park in back in a lot...but you need to get out of your car to open the lock on the gate and manually slide it open. What, is this 1950?

To boot, I was awoken 3 of my 4 nights there by a jackhammer that was literally right outside my window. I know this isn't their fault but come on!

To top it off, I got a $100 parking ticket for not curbing my wheels to the curb. Ugh.

The inside of the unit I stayed in was minimalist and everything felt cheap. You couldn't even stand in front of the sink to brush your teeth because the sink was mounted sideways in the bathroom. I know it is an old building but come on! As the shower had a shelf so high for soap and items you couldn't even see the top of it let alone see what you put in there.

The kitchen was well stocked and it was nice to have a full size fridge and stove, etc, but overall the inside just felt more like a cheap motel than a nice, comfy b&b.

I'm sorry, I hate to write bad reviews but I never would have booked this place if I had read even one honest review like mine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had an extended stay in San Diego for eight weeks for a Navy school; the military billeting was full and needed a comfortable place to stay for a long time at a reasonable rate. I've stayed for a couple months in a Comfort Inn, and that gets old after a while. Parc Suites fit the bill perfectly: it is clean, comfortable and convenient to Naval Station San Diego. There was a full kitchen in both rooms I stayed in (I had to move once due to the length of my stay), giant flat screen TV's, and decent WiFi. Basically everything I needed.

I did have some minor issues with WiFi, for some reason my iPad and Iphone would not connect, but my laptop had no issues. There is off street parking, but even though I didn't think is would be, it was less convenient than parking on the street and I rarely used it, since you have to drive around the back alley, get out of the car, open the gate, drive in, close the gate - not good if you are in a hurry, which I usually was. You are asked to do your own cleaning during your stay - not a problem for me, but may not be in some people's plans. The owner, Kelly, and her staff are friendly and sociable and very helpful. I left some things behind by mistake after my stay and when I was back in San Diego a month later, I was able to go back and pick them up.

This is not a good place for a family stay, but excellent for a couple or individual that are not looking for luxury resort accomodations, but somewhere to be comfortable after doing whatever it is they are in San Diego to do. There is coin-operated laundry and the owner provided complimentary beach towels on a first come first served basis. A couple of blocks away is the trolley station, and if you don't mind a brisk hike through a sketchy neighborhood, 20-30 minute walk to the Gaslamp. It's very remniscent of hostel living, but less sharing. Loved it, will gladly stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Definitely be back since it's likely my nephew will be stationed in San Diego a few more years. Really loved the decorating and the nice cozy towels. The bed was superior also. A radio would be nice..but understand that might also be easier for folks to 'accidentally' walk away with it. It does have a nice big TV but we don't watch much TV.

You are in the Gas Lamp district so kindof a mixed neighborhood but it's fine where the house is located. There is a locked gate at the front and a locked gate where they have converted the back yard space to a parking lot. So I always felt safe. We also never heard anyone else - better than most hotels.

We sure enjoyed the nice kitchen which was fully equipped. Breakfast at home each day.

Room Tip: basement rooms would not get much light.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked a room at Parc Suites for the last 5 days of a 16 days trip. I would say that the price is really reasonable. The apartment was clean and the building was well maintained as well. I was very glad to have access to washer/dryer (1.75$/load) and to have a fridge and oven! On some of the nights I was there, it seems that all the apartments were occupied but it was still very quiet and peaceful. Although some streets in the surrounding areas might be to avoid because of homeless, the location is safe. Gaslamp is a 15 minutes walk away. I walked by myself to go to gaslamp (daytime) and had no issues at all, I think you just have to pick the right streets.

My only comments regard small details. The manager had called me the day before my arrival to ask for my time of arrival. I had told her my estimated time and my arrival time at the train station. When I arrived at the premises, there was no one. I called the manager's cell phone and I was told I was supposed to confirm my arrival time 30 minutes ahead. The manager was biking and told me it would take 30 minutes for her to get there. Since I had a car, I went to the grocery store instead of waiting outside. I have to admit that it was indeed indicated to call 30 minutes prior to arrival in the instructions sent with the deposit receipt. So I would advice the readers of this review to put a reminder on their calendar to call 30 minutes prior to arrival as travelers usually have a lot of things on their mind.

Room Tip: Based on the pictures on the company website, I expected an apartment with wood floors. I was told t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed at parc suites for 10 days with my fiance,the apt was exceptionally clean and decorated beautifully! Great outdoor area with mini golf too.location was great with easy access to gaslamp,20min walk or $10 taxi,also near bus route,get a day ticket as it works out better! Would definitely stay again and can't wait to go back

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I came to San Diego for a golf trip. We stayed at the Parc Suites, which was truly like a home away from home. First, we were greeted by the owner, Kelly, who was as friendly as could be, with lots of helpful tips and suggestions for our first visit to this incredible city.
Our apartment was super clean and very cute. It was just perfect for the two of us and so much more affordable than hotels in the area. We will definitely go back on our next visit to San Diego!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Banning, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My sister and I shared a one bedroom suite with a kitchen. We had a roll away cot brought in
that was perfectly comfortable. We loved having the kitchen so we could bring in some snacks.
The property is in an historic neighborhood that is being restored. There was gated parking in the
back. There is even a laundy room. The property had a very inviting side yard and porch so that it did have a homey feel. It was comfortable to sit outside and enjoy the warm November evening.
What we liked most is that is close to everything we wanted to do or see. The harbor, Balboa Park and the Zoo, and Coronado Island were all within short driving distances. The owner, Kelly,
is an amazing, energetic woman who made us feel at home with a very personal touch. I would stay here again on my next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Parc Suites? Share your experiences!