“Hexagon great experience Happy Hour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hexagone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #825 of 3,682 Restaurants in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 5th Avenue
Laguna Niguel, California
“Hexagon great experience Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Their Happy hour was a very happy experience. French restaurant with first class food, nice modern bar area with a lovely patio. Amazing prices on their 3:30 to 6 menu.. Had the Mussels which were steamed, with a wonderful sauces which was matched with some great french bread for dipping. Also had the fried calamari which was lightly covered with a tasty coating and came with a well conceived dipping sauce which had a little zip to it. I finished with their coffee which was espresso based and an Banana foster cheese cake.

While consuming this wonderful combination of flavors I did some water color painting and had two couples who were also enjoying the very happy happy hour.

A wonderful experience, good service, amazing value,. $22 for all of the above.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California, United States
“Romantic Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hexagone offers specials though out the month. Friday night was a large lobster dinner with creamy polenta and vegetables. Dinner was excellent. Wine choices were good at good pricing. The Chocolate Bombe was a fabulous finish to the meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Apple tart tatin highly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Four of us had a late lunch at Hexagone on a Saturday afternoon when the dining room was almost empty, so we did not feel crowded by other diners. We feel the dining room has a nice atmosphere with blue glasses and white table cloths, occupying windows facing the sidewalk on two sides. We were welcomed and seated at a table by the windows. Service was polite and very good. We felt the lobster bisque was tasty but not among the best that we have tasted. My son’s frogs legs were excellent, and the lamb shank Nicoise was very good. The desserts were outstanding. The most popular dessert is the apple tart tatin with ice cream which was excellent, as was the creme brulee. I had crepes suzette which were very good. Hexagone is made much more attractive by the availability of free parking in Hexagone-designated spaces a nearby basement garage. Hexagone is within walking distance of Balboa Park.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Carlsbad, California
“Nasty attitude, topped off by credit card antic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I dined with another couple. We made reservations, arrived about 5 minutes early, were given the worst table in the place, right in front of the double swinging doors to the kitchen. We asked for another table, and was told, rather rudely, to take it or leave it. If my wife and I were alone, we would have left, but when you are with others, for their sake, you take the course that would make them least uncomfortable.
I have become allergic to garlic, but love classically prepared escargot. I asked if the chef could make escargot without garlic (this can be done obviously and has been done at my request many times) . But this is the first time the waiter snickered and made a nasty comment as he huffed away.
We brought a couple of bottles of wine (which we asked about when we made the reservation and it was ok). After asking several times for the bottle to be opened, I took the bottle to the bar and asked the bartender to open it. He refused! Finally he gave me a corkscrew. Some people at the bar made comments that included "good for you," "I know how you feel" and "I would have done the same thing."
After I did this, and the wait staff figured out I was pretty annoyed, probably saw their tip in jeopardy, and they got a little more obliging.
A couple of days later, our friends said that the meal was charged to their card twice and we should check to make sure what was charged to our card was correct, which it was.
I have not been treated to this kind of rudeness and hauteur - risible shallow arrogance - for many years, or, for that matter, antics with a credit card (which could, of course and hopefully, have been an honest mistake).
There are no shortage of excellent restaurants, many French, near this place. Need I say more?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San diego, CA
“Get Together with Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hexagone is located at 495 Laurel and 5th Avenue close to the west entrance of Balboa Park. Free under building parking is available at Laurel and 4th Avenue. Enter parking structure from 4th Avenue (one-way street) and look for Hexagone signage for 25 spaces in the left back part of the garage. Walk up laurel street from garage to Hexagone Restaurant. Public parking is $5, but not a requirement for Hexagone guests.

We have been to Hexagone about six times. Food has been very good with a mix of American entrees like salmon, rack of lamb, other seafood and meat entrees, as well as good choices in wines. The waiters are excellent. Some of the waiters are from international countries and interesting to talk to. Reservations required. We highly recommend Hexagone as a lovely place to enjoy and evening with friends.

• Visited January 2013