“Great experience, definitely worth checking out!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Muzita Abyssinian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #168 of 4,168 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Vegan, Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Adams
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great experience, definitely worth checking out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Wanted to try a new dining experience recently, so went to Muzita based on Trip Advisor recs. Parking is a hassle around here--we went on a Thursday night and it was an issue--so cab it on the weekend. Restaurant is nicely designed, fairly small and tight quarters. Was able to sit outside, which was nice. Hard to say how authentic the Ertretian/Ethiopian food was, but it definitely seemed like it. Portions were decent sized, but definitely not huge. Food itself is very good. Our waiter was new, but very attentive and friendly. They did recommend the Ethiopian beer, which I wanted to try, but one of the bottles carried an expiration date from Jan 2012, so maybe it's time for a new shipment. Would definitely go again, prices were decent, people were friendly, food was good.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Incredibly Friendly Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We went to Muzita one night when we stayed in San Diego. The owner warmly greeted us and allowed us to sit anywhere in the restaurant. We were not sure what to order, as we are not familiar with Ethiopian food. After asking us if we had any allergies to food, and how our spice scale was, he told us he would take care of us. He brought us samples, then created a special meal for us. My husband and I enjoyed it, as did our kids. Food was very fresh. Throughout dinner, the owner and staff came by to check on us. The owner was very friendly. He did not stay at our table for too long; just long enough to check on us, and to share a quick story. The entire experience felt like we had gone to a restaurant owned by a friend, as we were treated so well. Once the check came, the meal for four was very reasonably priced. We left a very generous tip that night. Highly, highly recommend the restaurant based on the service, food and ambiance.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tennessee
“Good Food and a New Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I were in San Diego for a conference, and we always like to try find locally owned places to eat. We tried two new places this trip, and Muzita was worth the effort.
San Diego has a good transit system, so we rode Bus 11 from downtown to University Heights. It's a great option from the standpoint of time, costs and the environment. The daily transit passes for both of us is $10 per day vs. nearly $40 per day parking at downtown hotels plus the car rental, and then you have to consider waiting for the valet to bring out your car, drive to University Heights and find parking. And, after dinner you get to do it all in reverse. The bus is so much easier!
Muzita is in a fairly small building, with a cozy dining area and a few outside tables. Since it can cool off quickly in the evenings, we decided to eat indoors.
Our server was very helpful. I don't recall eating Ethiopian food but once several years before, so I really didn't know much about the menu choices, seasonings, etc. She explained everything and helped my wife pick gluten-free items. Having checked the menu beforehand, I knew they would have some acceptable options. And, she advised my wife to use lettuce instead of injera to scoop up her food.
The food was prepared well and served in a fairly short time. For entrés were Siga Kilwa (sautéed beef) and Beggie Kilwa (sautéed leg of lamb). Our sides were Caulo (braised green cabbage and stewed tomato) and Alitcha Atakilti (seasonal stewed vgetables). I liked everything, and the entrees were excellent. To be honest, I liked the cabbage better than the seasonal veggies, but that's just my preference.
If you've never been to an Ethiopian restaurant, the food is served family-style on a plate covered with a layer of injera, and it is great for sharing. You don't get utensils, so you scoop up your food with a piece of the extra injera. The piece of injera under the food will soak up the extra juices from you foods, and it's good too.
About injera: Injera is a sourdough bread made from a grasslike grain called 'tef' that is a very important grain in the Ethiopia region. Tef is gluten-free. BUT, be sure to ask if there is any wheat flour in the injera wherever you go, because they do add about 10% WHEAT FLOUR here at Muzita. Almost every recipe you'll find online for injera will include wheat flour. Since injera is a sourdough bread, it will have a stronger flavor than sliced white bread from your supermarket. Some people like it, some don't. Personally, I liked it a lot and could eat a basket of it, but that much would likely mess with my diabetes. The amount I ate for dinner didn't cause any problems at all, though.
We will go back next time we're in San Diego, and we'll try to get some of the youth from the conference to go with us and try something besides cheeseburgers!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint George, UT
“Take a cab parking is hard to find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This place is cozy and has a great atmospehere. My wife and I went to dinner after spending all day at Sea World. The appetizers was amazing and we the main course was outstanding and who doesn't like eating with your hands. It is definitley worth going just remember parking is not easy to come by.

California
“Unusual but Very Good Ethnic Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We've dined at Muzita a couple of times now and have found the food and dining experience somewhat unusual but very good. One eats with their fingers wrapped around small pieces of a unique flat bread to pick up the various foods offered. There are no plates or utensils to eat with and I don't believe they're even available for the asking. All of the well-seasoned vegan and meat dishes (lamb, chicken and prawns mixed with sauteed vegetables as I recall) are all served family style on top of this large pizza-pan size flat bread that has a slightly spongy, sticky texture with a surface full of tiny holes sort of like a large crepe. Spices are unique and all blends very well to make for an unusual (but fun and very tasty) dining experience. Parking in this old University Heights area can be very difficult, and many locals dine there so reservations are advised for this small, out-of-the-way place. They have some very good Ethiopian beers as well as others, wines, etc. with a special honey wine that is slightly sweet and light in flavor (but fun to try). Prices were moderate.

• Visited July 2012