“A Hidden Gem-- Don't Pass This One By!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
Save Saved
You added Mudville Flats to your Saves list
747 Tenth Ave., C, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #4 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
San Diego
“A Hidden Gem-- Don't Pass This One By!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Mudville Flats during our honeymoon and we loved it so much that we are going back again soon! Mike and Linda are very accommodating and made us feel right at home.
We got caught up running a few errands and didn't get a chance to check in until very late in the evening, but we were met with smiles and treated very well!
The room was extremely clean, the bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, and the clawfoot bathtub was a big hit! We even joked that we could live there if we worked downtown! Close walking distance to tons of restaurants, the Gaslamp, and ball park. And the price is excellent! Whether for a night, or an extended period of time, we'd highly recommend this charming place. Happy Travels!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon and truly enjoyed our stay! I would recommend this place over any generic hotel. Everything was very comfortable, helpful owners and convenient location--we walked everywhere, even home from the zoo was only about a mile. This place has really nice historic charm with room to spread out and relax in a home away from home!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

I surprised my wife this year for her birthday with a weekend trip to San Diego. I started planning the trip in January because it involved all her friends going skydiving with us as the big finale surprise. The last thing that I took care of was a place to stay.
Both my wife and I are cultured world travelers, and are constantly unimpressed with the hotels we stay at. They always smell funny, are in the worst locations and have the worst services. And if we wanted anything better we would have to pay an arm and a leg, and would still be disappointed. I wanted this trip to be perfect, since it was the first trip as husband and wife.
I started searching for bed and breakfast's in San Diego, and randomly came across Mudville Flats. The location was perfect, and it was only a fraction more expensive then the generic local hotels. The booking process was so easy, and I got a confirmation call the next day from the owner.
You wouldn't think much of this place from the outside, it looks like any other building in the downtown area. However, a quick knock on the door and a step into the entrance way proves this place to be the best hidden gem in downtown San Diego!
It is a single building that houses four "flats" and a backyard that includes a fire pit, a large deck and patio area. As we were showed around by the owners, Mike and Linda, my wife and I felt like we were being showed our new house for the weekend. The inside of the building is refreshingly "homey", with a large wooden staircase that leads to the upstairs rooms, wide-plank cherry wood floors and tasteful artwork on the walls. Our room entered into a sitting area with a full leather couch, a fake electric fireplace, a walk in closet, a flat screen TV and a view of the backyard through very large windows. The full bathroom was off the sitting room. It was stocked with beach towels, extra linen, an antique claw foot bathtub and a blow dryer. The bedroom was semi separated by a pair of pillars and waist high bookshelves, that were stocked with unique books and plenty of board games.
The only complaint came from how big and comfortable the bed was. Both my wife and I had to roll over once or twice, with our arms outstretched, to try and find each other in the middle of the night. Which, when you think about it, isn't really a complaint. The full kitchen entered off the bedroom. It was stocked with all the cooking untensels you needed to cook all your own meals. Complete with plates, cutlery, and a full set of bar ware, including glasses for every kind of drink.
The owners were very friendly, and almost gave away my big skydiving surprise. They were interested in where we were from and gave us all the information we needed about where to go and what to do, outside of the regular tourist trails. Linda even gave us a contact name to get free breakfast at a local cafe.
The weekend was a complete success. The two nights we stayed were not nearly enough. We will be enjoying the luxury of our home away from home the next time we visit San Diego.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I am very happy I stumbled across Mudville Flats while looking for a place to stay for the week while vacationing in San Diego.

We will surely stay there again on our next San Diego trip and have been recommending this place to friends & family already.

The room was great (much better then staying at a Marriott, Hilton, Sofitel, etc), the proprietors were very charismatic and did not hesitate to make us feel anything but welcome. Our main purpose for the visit was go to Petco Park for a few ball games and for this, the location cannot be beat - we were able to walk to the park in less then 10 min and the area was very safe. This would also be a good place to stay if you were attending an activity at the San Diego Convention Center, Balboa park or anyplace else as the trolley line is a close walk. The gas lamp district was a few blocks away and offered an array of dining options.

To elaborate on the room; the kitchen was fully supplied as promised with everything needed to cook a meal. While some reviews on trip advisor knocked the B&B listing as not providing breakfast … I would much rather choose the opportunity Mudville presents of cooking my own breakfast/meal(s) and dining on the deck as opposed to the B&B setting of a lame continental breakfast with strangers. The room/living area was incredible and so inviting that I halfway didn’t want to leave the room. You cannot beat the free parking, wireless, & washer/dryer. To reiterate again the proprietors were awesome.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Philly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I stayed here with 2 friends and it was great. It's in a decent area of town (2 blocks from Tent City), with Petco Park only a few blocks away, lots of restaurants in walking distance and an Albertson's just around the corner. Very close to downtown/Gas Lamp and easily accessible to the 5. Great owners and Isabella next door is just a treat!! I also liked the baseball theme. Outdoor chill area as well, with a grill and lots of comfy chairs.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Aurora Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Stayed here for 5 days for a conference, walking distance (one mile) to the conference center. I didn't need a car as I could walk to restaurants, the movie theater, shopping, the waterfront, and Balboa park. Clean spacious well decorated apartments with a full kitchen. Right down the street from the ball park if that is your thing.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I stayed at Mudville Flats while attending a conference. Excellent price for the high level of comfort. Within walking distance of the CBD. Lots of great restaurants nearby. Owners are very friendly and helpful. The room was large and beautifully furnished; kitchen and bathroom were very well equipped. Bed was the largest and most comfortable ever.

One tip: Bring a cell, because there are no phones in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Mudville Flats? Share your experiences!