“Down-to-earth dwelling” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
You added Mudville Flats to your Saves list
747 Tenth Ave., C, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #4 of 40 San Diego B&B and Inns
Parrish, Florida
“Down-to-earth dwelling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Even though we usually stay with family and friends while visiting San Diego, my husband surprised me with a two-night stay at the Mudville Flats. He wanted to do something special for me during this particular trip because we're expecting our first baby. It was an awesome surprise! I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Linda welcomed us with lots of warmth and a down-to-earth attitude. What was super sweet was that she got us a newborn San Diego Padres onesie as a keepsake of our stay at the baseball-themed hotel. My husband and I were thoroughly impressed by the hotel accommodations as well as our interactions with Linda. She was extremely organized with the check-in process and the room was wonderfully decorated. The room was also very clean. Some might be worried by the location of the hotel in downtown San Diego, but both my husband and I felt safe even when we got back super late. The fact that there was a hostel right next to us with lots of travelers hanging out made us feel safe. We have no complaints at all; only compliments!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife and I stumbled upon Mudville Flats while browsing the internet looking for something out of the ordinary when visiting friends in San Diego. What a wonderful surprise it turned out to be. The rooms are stylish, cozy and spotless and Linda and Mike make you feel as if you're guests in their home (which you are!). We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife attended a conference for work, and I tagged along to visit San Diego. Rather than stay in one of the big conference hotels, she chose Mudville Flats. It worked out great for us. We stayed in room B, a large comfortable room with a full kitchen. Mudville Flats was very conveniently located for us; about a 15 minute walk for her to the conference center and a half hour walk for me to Balboa Park. Linda loaded us up with tons of information when we arrived on where to eat, where things were located and the best ways to get there, etc. The king bed was very nice, the couch was comfortable, the kitchen was great so we didn't have to go out for breakfast every morning (conference sessions started at 7:30am!) What can I say, it was perfect for us, we loved it. Clean, convenient, comfortable, charming. What more could you ask. To top it off, Linda drove us to the airport after out stay. She really went out of her way to make sure we had a nice stay.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room B is at the back on the first floor, away from some of the street noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I just stayed at Mudville Flats. Picked it for its close proximity to Petco Field and the Gas Lamp District. Didn't realize the East Village would have so much to offer, too.

We so enjoyed our time there. Comfy bed, great seating area, loved the original claw-foot tub. Nice little touches like games, books, and menus from the area restaurants. Didn't use the kitchen since there were so many restaurants so close, but was nice to have the option. The secure, free parking was a huge plus!

Loved meeting Mike. He took really good care of us, showing us all the details of the property and tips about the area. Even called mid-stay to make sure we were having a good time and to see if he could do anything for us. Were sorry we missed meeting Linda as she had to be away.
Next time we're in San Diego, we'll be back to Mudville Flats!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Mudville Flats is small (three-room) hotel that presents a viable alternative for those who prefer not to stay in standard, box-like accommodations. Location is good -- in a regentrifying part of town, close to a number of good restaurants and bars. It is about a five minute walk to the ballpark, and a 15 minute walk to the convention center (this distance was good, since the local restaurants were not full of conventioneers). The owners are very pleasant, and are committed to the comfort of their guests. Our room was done in craftsman style, and was spacious (almost a suite). The king-size bed was extremely comfortable, we had a full kitchen (a bit of overkill, since we had no intentions of cooking), and there was free wireless and a flat screen TV. The room also had a great deck off the back, although the small courtyard it faced was very noisy when the neighbors were eating outside. On the negative side, the room was quite dark, the bathroom was below par, and the entire place smelled a little funky (leaving the windows open helped a lot). Overall, a good stay in an interesting part of town.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at the Mudville Flats, staying in Unit D, which is on the second floor in the back. The best things about this room were (a) an absolutely, perfectly comfortable King-size bed with good quality linens, (b) the arts & craft décor, which made this feel more like a home than a hotel room; and (c) far more space than the average hotel room. Linda and Mike were very welcoming and helpful (although we are pretty low maintenance).

As is common in vintage B&Bs, the bathroom could use updating. There is a small, claw foot tub with a curtain all around, equipped with a shower head about 6' off the ground; water temperature and pressure are good but it's tight quarters (and I am a small person). Towels are good size and thick (with extras in a linen closet in the bathroom). The rest of the bathroom is also small & cramped.

This is a "B," not a "B&B." No breakfast is provided. There are filter packs of coffee, as well as 1/2 & 1/2, sweetener, and tea bags in the kitchen. And Linda provided us with a few beers, which were appreciated. If you don't have a car (we did not), the closest grocery store is only 1 block away but it is a bargain store with spotty choices -- there were no English muffins or raisin bread available, for example. There is a Brooklyn Bagels another block away, where you can get good quality bagels and cream cheese.

Although the neighborhood seemed absolutely safe, petty crime is evidently an issue. There are deadbolt locks on the front door to the building and bars over the few windows in the room that open. In showing us around, Linda stressed the importance of remembering to relock the deadbolts every time we came & went. We are from Chicago and this did not freak us out but I mention it.

There is a wooden deck off the back of Unit D, accessible from the hallway, with a table where you can sit. When we were there, there was a large family group staying in a unit in another building who spent a lot of time in the late afternoon/ early evening on their patio backing onto the same space. They were very loud. Fortunately, their gatherings broke up around 7 pm. Otherwise, sleeping would have been a problem (although we could have closed the windows & run the air conditioning.)

Bottom line: we very much enjoyed our stay. Linda and Mike were very welcoming hosts. If you are open to lodging that is outside the cookie-cutter hotel room, give it a try.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Richfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I recently stayed at Mudville Flats for five nights while in San Diego for a convention. The California Craftsman style inn was just wonderful; immaculate, beautifully decorated with a big and comfy bed to rest on after many hours of walking.; a home away from home. The innkeepers, Linda and Mike, were gracious and always helpful. Linda met my cab as I arrived at Mudville Flats, carried my luggage to my room for me and later offered me a ride to the airport on the morning of my departure. I'm hoping to return to beautiful San Diego in the not too distant future and take my husband along for another stay at Mudville Flats! A true gem, as are Linda and Mike!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
mudvillemike, Manager at Mudville Flats, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was our pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Mudville Flats? Share your experiences!