“Comfortable but noisy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
You added Mudville Flats to your Saves list
747 Tenth Ave., C, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #3 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
“Comfortable but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Mudville Flats for two weeks from before Christmas through New Years. Linda was friendly and even provided us with a bottle of Champagne for new years eve. We were in suite A and like other reviewers have stated it is noisy, not only from the street but from the owners flat above. no only could we hear their cats running and playing when the owners were not there, we were awoken several mornings by people walking around above our heads. One night while watching TV someone was up stairs hammering on something. The banging went on for at least 20 minutes. We thought at first that the volume of our TV was disturbing, yet once we turned it way down the hammering continued.
We enjoyed the kitchen, and being able to make our own coffee, and breakfast, or heat left overs from dinner.
The worst thing for me, and It is a small complaint is the dish soap that was provided. It was Meyers Clean Day dish soap, and supposedly basil scented. It has a foul smell, and does not rinse well, so dishes and glasses reeked and tasted of this soap. A small bottle of Dawn or Joy would be much better.
The bath tub is small, and as previously mentioned high off the floor with nothing to grab when you exit. Stepping over the edge of the tub and then down an extra 5-6 inches is difficult, a small step firmly attached to the tub would be much safer, and for a person with bad knees much more comfortable.
The street life is a little disconcerting especially when you have to walk back from parking the car late at night. There is a parking garage right next door that might be more expensive, but a much more convenient and comfortable alternative.
We ate at several local eateries, and I personally would recommend the Mission for breakfast, Zanzibar for dinner. Their Zblt burger was the best hamburger I have had in many years, even after walking the couple of blocks home before eating.
I would stay here again, but would ask for suite B or C.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mudvillemike, Owner at Mudville Flats, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us over the holidays. We are glad you enjoyed it and would stay with us again. The funny thing about reviews is that no matter how many nice things people say, people tend to focus on the negatives.

I want our guests to know that Linda and I live onsite and have put our heart and soul into Mudville Flats. We strive to ensure a perfect experience for all of our guests. We explain to our guests at check-in that if you need anything please call us and we will do everything in our power to fix it. We provide 3 phone numbers to call 24 hours a day. With this being said, I would like to address and or apologize for any problems you had during your stay.

The hammering. Linda received a bookshelf for Christmas and was assembling it. It was 5:00 PM and she thought you were out, had she known, it never would have happened. We are very sorry!

We are sorry the sound of our footsteps disturbed you. It is a 108 year old building with hardwood floors. We are very sensitive to this and make every effort to walk quietly especially early in the morning. We are adding more carpeting and padding to reduce the sound.

Myers dish soap, we use it and we like it. We are sorry you do not. We will definitely consider a switch.

The Claw foot tubs are original and add a nice romantic esthetic to the Flat. As far as we know Claw foot tubs have been the same height for over 150 years, but you are not the first to comment on their height. We now provide a step stool if requested.

PARKING IS FREE! Downtown hotels charge between $30-$50 per night . Yes, the underground secured spot is across the street. The building next door does not rent spaces to non-tenants or we would rent from them.

Location, Location, Location! We make no apologies for the city. Surrounded by great restaurants, night-life, shopping, theaters, ball park, harbor,museums, and the convention center all just steps away. We are grateful to live in such an interesting and vibrant neighborhood and we hope we share that enthusiasm with all of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Centreville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at Mudville Flats just recently. This place is great! Mike and Linda made us feel right at home. Great location in central San Diego downtown and free parking for your car.

This is very much the city, with Mudville a comfortable oasis. We had a roomy apartment, with a deck over the backyard where we ate our meals when we dined in. It was also nice for just relaxing out there.

But we did not dine in all that often. There are so many good restaurants within a few blocks, as well as two grocery stores very close. The hotel is surrounded by old restored San Diego landmarks, some very beautiful old buildings, as well as modern, pricey apartment buildings and townhomes. So the neighborhood, like so many in a city, is very eclectic.

The climate in San Diego, of course, is fabulous. Just made for being outside. We decided to do without a car, but the Enterprise rental office is about 2 blocks away, so we could have rented a car if we had wanted to.

A word about our hosts. Linda and Mike were almost literally on call 24 hrs a day. Any time we called with questions, she was always happy to answer them and offer her or MIke's help in getting things done. Furthermore, one day we were running a bit late, and Linda simply offered to drive us to our destination, which she did.

The hotel itself is very comfortable. Excellent beds and the linens are luxurious. Wonderful wood floors with nice carpets. The kitchen was spotless, and everything was full size. There was even filtered water available, and the basics for fixing meals, if we chose. Wifi was excellent, air conditioning and heating both available, but never really needed.

Yes, we would stay here again, with pleasure!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day stay here. What a great location! Walking distance to everything worth wild downtown and a 15 minuted drive to most everything else (Sea World, SD Zoo and Balboa Park). Linda and Mike make you feel right at home. The berds are super confortable and the shower is definitely not flow restrictive. It rocked.
We would defintely stay here againt when visititng San Diego.
Almost forgot, free underground parking ($25-$45 per day at any chain hotel)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

October 13th - October 20th, 2012
Stayed for 1 week in Flat A

Pros:
Location: central to everything. 15 minutes by car to the zoo, 45 minutes to the safari, within easy walking distance to good food, Sea Port Village, and the San Diego convention center
Owners: Mike and Linda are a traveler's dream. Relaxed and helpful, they anticipate the needs of their guests. They were understanding of our check in and check out needs due to our odd flight times. Linda greeted us with a genuine and charming smile despite the fact we were an hour later than we originally predicted. She escorted us through our room and the building. During our trip she would check in with us to see if we needed anything or had any questions. When we arrived there were a list of recommended restaurants and cafes in the area in the room along with menus. Before we even arrived Mike and Linda both answered my emails quickly and accuratly. Linda and Mike live on the premises and are very easy to get a hold of if needed.
Kitchen was spotless. Bed was super comfortable. It was easy to keep the room dark with the blinds and curtains.
WiFi included and signal was good.

Cons:
Location: this is not a "nice" part of town. Probably not the worst part of town either, but early mornings and late nights were a bit creepy. Homeless sleep on the street just outside. There were police and emergency vehicles sirens every couple hours and several nights between 2 and 4am we were woken by fighting just outside our window. In general because of its proximity to the road, the room is a little noisy. The window AC unit is, too.
Bathroom door does not close all the way. Not a huge problem for a married couple, but there is a pullout provided so it could be awkward depending on who is staying in the room. There is also a slippery patch on the floor just outside the bathroom.
This is so silly to say, but - the bath tub is hard to get into and harder to get out of. At 5'2", the side of the tub comes up to my thighs. There isn't anything to hold on to, even a wall to brace yourself again, when getting out, so I worried about falling.

Additional notes:
Parking is not on site. It is in a little underground parking garage about half a block up the street. Linda will escort guests there and show them where to park. The spots can be tight and not everyone is careful to stay inside the lines. A little creepy at night and hard to find the outside entrance. The street parking is very limited and metered.

Room Tip: Flat A is right by the road. For a quieter expirence, you may wish to choose a different flat.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here for a week in Apartment B and it was one of the best decisions I had made. Mike and Linda were great hosts. I had no cell phone and she leant me hers for my entire stay which I was not expecting and I am grateful for that as it was my first visit to San Diego by myself and I was a bit apprehensive as I did not know what to expect accommodation and transport wise as I would be relying on public transportation. No worries there as what was shown in photos on their website is what you get and I didn't need to worry about how to get around using public transport as there is a bus stop right across the street from there place which can take you to the trolly and bus transit center on 12th and Imperial Street which is also incidentally right across from Petco Park. A grocery store is are about 5 minutes walk away and CHEAP. This place is ideal for a base to explore San Diego especially as it is already in downtown and central to everything as well. I do know the next time I do visit San Diego, Mudville Flats will be my first choice for a place to stay again. Thank you Mike and Linda for everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Mudville Flats for her birthday weekend. Honestly, I can't think of anyway that our experience could have been better. It was truly awesome!!

We didn't meet Mike but Linda was very friendly, inviting, and helpful. She has many recommendations for dining and activities. We stayed in Flat A and it was warm and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was cool....especially the claw foot tub. The inn is walking distance from many awesome restaurants in the Gas Lamp district. We took full advantage of the location.

I really can't recommend Mudville Flats enough. We will definitely return!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Flat A. I think there is one other flat on the first floor and then one more on the se...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
williamsburg, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Linda and Mike were wonderful hosts. We stayed 2 nights in Room B, and it was extremely comfortable. Arriving about 10:30 on Sunday morning, we asked Linda for a recommendation for brunch. She walked us the couple of blocks to 2 places, and because of a wait recommended a coffee house that had live music and outstanding brunch, at a reasonable price ($10 Mimosa pitchers!). We were withing walking distance of downtown, the water taxi to Coronado, and the Gaslamp District, as well as restaurants within the East Village.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mudville Flats? Share your experiences!