“Location is awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
Save Saved
You added Mudville Flats to your Saves list
747 Tenth Ave., C, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #4 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Location is awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day stay here. What a great location! Walking distance to everything worth wild downtown and a 15 minuted drive to most everything else (Sea World, SD Zoo and Balboa Park). Linda and Mike make you feel right at home. The berds are super confortable and the shower is definitely not flow restrictive. It rocked.
We would defintely stay here againt when visititng San Diego.
Almost forgot, free underground parking ($25-$45 per day at any chain hotel)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

October 13th - October 20th, 2012
Stayed for 1 week in Flat A

Pros:
Location: central to everything. 15 minutes by car to the zoo, 45 minutes to the safari, within easy walking distance to good food, Sea Port Village, and the San Diego convention center
Owners: Mike and Linda are a traveler's dream. Relaxed and helpful, they anticipate the needs of their guests. They were understanding of our check in and check out needs due to our odd flight times. Linda greeted us with a genuine and charming smile despite the fact we were an hour later than we originally predicted. She escorted us through our room and the building. During our trip she would check in with us to see if we needed anything or had any questions. When we arrived there were a list of recommended restaurants and cafes in the area in the room along with menus. Before we even arrived Mike and Linda both answered my emails quickly and accuratly. Linda and Mike live on the premises and are very easy to get a hold of if needed.
Kitchen was spotless. Bed was super comfortable. It was easy to keep the room dark with the blinds and curtains.
WiFi included and signal was good.

Cons:
Location: this is not a "nice" part of town. Probably not the worst part of town either, but early mornings and late nights were a bit creepy. Homeless sleep on the street just outside. There were police and emergency vehicles sirens every couple hours and several nights between 2 and 4am we were woken by fighting just outside our window. In general because of its proximity to the road, the room is a little noisy. The window AC unit is, too.
Bathroom door does not close all the way. Not a huge problem for a married couple, but there is a pullout provided so it could be awkward depending on who is staying in the room. There is also a slippery patch on the floor just outside the bathroom.
This is so silly to say, but - the bath tub is hard to get into and harder to get out of. At 5'2", the side of the tub comes up to my thighs. There isn't anything to hold on to, even a wall to brace yourself again, when getting out, so I worried about falling.

Additional notes:
Parking is not on site. It is in a little underground parking garage about half a block up the street. Linda will escort guests there and show them where to park. The spots can be tight and not everyone is careful to stay inside the lines. A little creepy at night and hard to find the outside entrance. The street parking is very limited and metered.

Room Tip: Flat A is right by the road. For a quieter expirence, you may wish to choose a different flat.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here for a week in Apartment B and it was one of the best decisions I had made. Mike and Linda were great hosts. I had no cell phone and she leant me hers for my entire stay which I was not expecting and I am grateful for that as it was my first visit to San Diego by myself and I was a bit apprehensive as I did not know what to expect accommodation and transport wise as I would be relying on public transportation. No worries there as what was shown in photos on their website is what you get and I didn't need to worry about how to get around using public transport as there is a bus stop right across the street from there place which can take you to the trolly and bus transit center on 12th and Imperial Street which is also incidentally right across from Petco Park. A grocery store is are about 5 minutes walk away and CHEAP. This place is ideal for a base to explore San Diego especially as it is already in downtown and central to everything as well. I do know the next time I do visit San Diego, Mudville Flats will be my first choice for a place to stay again. Thank you Mike and Linda for everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Mudville Flats for her birthday weekend. Honestly, I can't think of anyway that our experience could have been better. It was truly awesome!!

We didn't meet Mike but Linda was very friendly, inviting, and helpful. She has many recommendations for dining and activities. We stayed in Flat A and it was warm and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was cool....especially the claw foot tub. The inn is walking distance from many awesome restaurants in the Gas Lamp district. We took full advantage of the location.

I really can't recommend Mudville Flats enough. We will definitely return!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Flat A. I think there is one other flat on the first floor and then one more on the se...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
williamsburg, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Linda and Mike were wonderful hosts. We stayed 2 nights in Room B, and it was extremely comfortable. Arriving about 10:30 on Sunday morning, we asked Linda for a recommendation for brunch. She walked us the couple of blocks to 2 places, and because of a wait recommended a coffee house that had live music and outstanding brunch, at a reasonable price ($10 Mimosa pitchers!). We were withing walking distance of downtown, the water taxi to Coronado, and the Gaslamp District, as well as restaurants within the East Village.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Martinez, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Linda and Mike turned a stressful week into a wonderful stay during my trip to San Diego for a Conference at the San Diego Convention Center. The bed in the front Flat was like sleeping on a cloud!

The location worked out well and I really enjoyed the walk to the Convention Center each morning. Right along the way, there were places to grab a great cup of coffee and a light breakfast. If you prefer to make your meals in the fully stocked kitchen yourself, there's a grocery store a short block and a half away.

When I had some extra time, I loved their recommendations for a delicious breakfast at Café Chloe and Zanzibar Café just a couple of blocks away.

They are both gracious hosts and I won't hesitate to book my stay during next years conference with them.

Room Tip: The front room had it's own private entrance and an enclosed patio. The room faces a realitively...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I'm an author, and I've been attending Comic-Con as a panelist for the past 3 years. I'm also a business traveler, so I know what to expect from 4 and 5 star hotels. I've been hugely disappointed by how the hotels in San Diego treat Comic-Con attendees, particularly for the amount of money being charged, so decided to try to find lodgings separately -- AND I'M SO GLAD I DID.

Mudville Flats has the charm of a B&B with the autonomy of a condo. The room we were in, the smallest of the 3 available, was at least double the size of the hotel rooms we've had. It's an easy walk to the Convention Center, the Gaslamp District, and the ballpark, easy on and off the freeways, and with a full kitchen, secured, covered parking, and wifi all INCLUDED in the price, it's a deal. The owners, Linda and Mike, live on site, and are lovely people, eager to ensure their guests have a great stay. We booked our room for Comic-Con 2013 before we left, and Mudville Flats will be the 1st place I check whenever we're coming into San Diego for any other stay.

Downsides: the bathroom in our unit was small, but easy to use and fully equipped. However, if you're a very wide person, it would probably be uncomfortable and difficult to use.

Amenities: Patios and decks; BBQ grill on communal courtyard; full kitchen, with all cookware, utensils, flatware, and plates provided; wide screen TV w/free cable; hair dryer; shampoo, conditioner, lotion; free wifi; free secured, covered parking; grocery stores 1 and 5 blocks away; Gaslamp 3 blocks away; walking distance to Convention Center and ballpark; plenty of towels, including beach towels; king-sized, comfy beds; good A/C units and fans; sofabed couch; washer & dryer (extra charge for use, but nice to have available in case of emergency).

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms; we stayed in D this time, will be in B next year. D is the smallest (still at least do...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mudville Flats? Share your experiences!