“Highly recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
You added Mudville Flats to your Saves list
747 Tenth Ave., C, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #3 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here recently on a short trip to San Diego from the UK. We couldn't recommend Mudville Flats enough - a little oasis right near the Gaslamp district and all of its bars and restaurants. Mike and Linda couldn't have been more accommodating (they even stocked our fridge with some local beer to try!). We had free parking across the street and it was a great base to explore the city. There was also a great terrace from our room (Flat A) where we watched the sunrise from each morning whilst combatting jetlag! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you are looking for an alternative to the "big box" chains and cookie cutter rooms, then check out Mudville Flats Boutique Hotel, an outstanding bargain and fun place to stay in San Diego! The hosts are extraordinarily friendly, and the rooms are clean and spacious with many small touches that make it feel like home. It is within walking distance of the Convention Center and area attractions. We had three in our room (king size bed and queen sleeper sofa), and we still had PLENTY of space for all. After a long day of meetings, the sanctuary of a homey suite was heavenly! (If you are an architectural buff, you'll really enjoy the craftsman bungalow features of this hotel!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here at least three times, and every time it has been a wonderful experience. I've finally had a chance to review this place--partly because I didn't want everyone to know about this place; I know--so selfish of me! :) We've stayed in every room at Mudville. We were quite pleased with each one. My favorite is Flat A. This is the downstairs room (I like the porch), but my husband likes Flat D which is located on the second floor in the back. I don't think there is an elevator, so if that is a problem, then I would highly recommend Flat A.

There are a few things to consider about Mudville. First, it is categorized under TripAdvisor as a Bed and Breakfast, but it's a boutique hotel (google it). Yes, I know they don't offer any breakfast, but that shouldn't deter you from missing this enchanting place. (I couldn't think of a better word, but there it is.) Mike and Linda are wonderful innkeepers/hosts, and Linda walks you through the room and shows you how things work. Look, hotel personnel don't normally do this. (Okay, most of the hotels I'VE been to don't go to the trouble of explaining the amenities in the room.)

Each room/flat is clean and nicely decorated--in darker wood tones. It's not the same old decor you would find in a typical chain hotel; you know--the throwback to the 80s or something, so if you're looking for that, then you will be disappointed. I think each room has its own wonderful character--in a good way. I have to note that they have a claw-foot tub in the bathrooms with a shower. The tub might be a little high to get into for vertically-challenged people like me. It was fine for my husband. ;) Still, the showers had full water pressure and hot water. The huge beds were immaculate and oh-so comfy. There is kitchen with a full-sized fridge, so you can bring home leftovers or cook something--just make sure you clean up after yourself. :) WIFI is free.

What else is great? Free parking. Yes, you will actually park in a safe, underground parking about 1/2 block or less across the street. The only time we actually drove somewhere was to attend a play at night at The Globe Theater. I've stayed in a hotel a mile or two from the convention center, and they had charged me about $25/day. (Sorry, I've forgotten the hotel's name, so I guess that's how remarkable that place was.)

As others have mentioned, it is centrally located in downtown San Diego. It's a few blocks from the Gaslamp District, the Waterfront, and the Convention Center. It's also about two miles to Balboa Park. It's easily accessible by walking there. I don't really think the neighborhood is "iffy". When you are in the city, there will be some homeless people walking around. I felt comfortable enough in this neighborhood that I didn't think it was an issue. (I really take that into consideration when I reserve a room somewhere.) It's important to note that when you are staying downtown that it can be a little noisy because of sirens, or people, but it was nothing that kept us awake.

By the way, Linda and Mike are very helpful with restaurants and places to go; they know this area and their recommendations are pretty much spot-on with their reviews. Linda is always available if you have any questions; she will graciously answer them. Even though they don't serve breakfast, Mudville still embodies the graciousness of a bed and breakfast. You can tell that they have pride in their place, and it's reflected in the rooms. Truly, I think that they make Mudville Flats the great little gem that it is.

Room Tip: Choose Flat A if you don't want to use the stairs.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Germantown, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I came to San Diego for a conference and was attempting to avoid the over priced hotels around the conference center. I stumbled across Mudville Flats early and was able to snag a room at Mudville Flats. I stayed for four nights so the little kitchen and living space as a wonderful retreat from the conference grind. It's perfect walking distance from the ball park and conference center. There a incredible places to eat in the neighborhood. BB owners Linda and Mike are wonderful. I loved having my own little apartment throughout my stay in San Diego. Charming!

Room Tip: Lower level.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
uxbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great location-walking distance to petco,gaslamp,convention ctr-also many restaurants.Starbucks a few blocks down open at 430 am. Everything one could need being away from home. Full kitchen-coffee tea ,fresh half and half-even filtered water in fridge. Comfy bed and sofa bed and pillows. Directv. Quiet,despite being on busy street.Even has a patio with grill, if you so desire.Excellent security. Owners have put quite a bit of thought into this place,and the comfort of their guests.Previous reviewers stated no housekeeping service,however there is a more than adequate supply of towels,etc. Innkeepers on premises or just a phone call, or doorbell ring away.Early 1900's house -beautifully renovated and spotless.Bathroom not huge,but more than adequate. Shower,even makeup mirror! Was allowed to check in early when our plans changed. Mike and Linda incredibly nice though not intrusive. Very private. did I mention free parking? Many places in area charge 30+ dollars a night.My best to Mike and Linda

Room Tip: we were in flat b in the back of the house-very privat and quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

After reading the other reviews, I was really expecting something special. It isn't a bad place (though the neighbourhood was a bit iffy), but I would say it was average. The suite was large, but very dark and there is no breakfast included.

The owner, Linda, was very nice and very helpful!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I was treated like a king at Mudville Flats. Upon checking in, Linda made sure I was comfortable in my very clean, well equipped suite and answered all my questions about the best offerings of the nearby Gas Lamp District. The hotel was very quiet since young children and pets are not allowed. Next time I visit San Diego, I'll bring my wife so we can enjoy the many amenities of Mudville Flats (free parking, outdoor grill, kitchen, etc) and all the things to do in downtown San Diego. It's a place where you can truly relax and is a distinct departure from all the generic hotel offerings in the downtown area....definitely worth checking into!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mudville Flats? Share your experiences!