“Fair rates, good location, jovial service” 5 of 5 stars

Beach Haven Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4740 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Ranked #104 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Klagenfurt, Austria
“Fair rates, good location, jovial service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Beach Haven Inn to round up our roadtrip and we both enjoyed our stay a great day. Granted, the inn is not a 5-star uber-fancy, and thus 'generic' place, but it's got its unique charm. Apart from its convenient location and fair rates, it is very clean. All of our towels were changed every day even though we hadn't put them on the floor. Our suite was spacious and our kitchenette was also fully stocked. Once again, everything was clean. Moreover, the staff was competent, helpful and even jovial. Since we were unfamiliar with the immediate neighborhood, we asked the staff for recommendations regarding breakfast, dinner, etc. ALL of their suggestions panned out (e.g. Kono's down at the Crystal Pier, or Cafe 976 on Felspar St.)
All in all, we were very satisfied and should we ever be in the San Diego area again, we'll make sure to secure a room at the Beach Haven Inn.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelsManagementTeam, General Manager at Beach Haven Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the property. The staff and myself are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the property clean, a good value for your money, and a desirable location. The rooms with kitchens include silverware, limited pots and pans, a microwave, stove top (some rooms have ovens as well), a refrigerator, and a dining table and chairs.
There are many quality restaurants in the area that the staff recommends and we’re pleased the staff referrals met your expectations and more.
Thank you again for your kind comments!

Bill Nelson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Paradise Valley, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I arrived around 7pm to one of the least friendly front desk people of all time. He tried to tell me that since my reservation said 2 people but I put 3 people on the list I had to pay 10 dollars extra a night. That isn't what I was told on the phone and he said "who did you talk to??" I had no idea. But he acted like a total jerk and said "oh I know who YOU talked to, FINE" Thanks...jerk. Get into the room... the a/c is a window unit with a gap...so yes there were bugs. The outlet in the room ( I had room 108) closest to the couch was not on correctly and we couldn't plug anything into the outlets without things falling out of them. The rooms themselves were ok. There were stains on the comforter, hairs on the pillow cases and the floor felt dirty everywhere. We should have taken pictures of how dirty our feet got just from walking around but we didn't. The fridge was a mini fridge. The water in the shower was very particular, either very hot or very cold. The view faced a building next door. The parking was ABSURD!!!! Not enough spaces so they REALLY shouldn't even advertise parking. The fold out bed in the living room was beyond awful, it was LOUD and uncomfortable, bars in all the wrong places, lumpy just terrible. The place was NOISY. Don't get a downstairs room if you plan to sleep, my room was just outside of the hot tub (it's a square so they all are) As soon as anyone was outside in that area talking you couldn't help but hear it. The walls were paper thin so you literally hear EVERYTHING going on. This place has a 72 hour cancellation policy otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there after I read the reviews. When I went to check out the girl didn't ask "how was your stay" I can only imagine she knows she works in a dump and that isn't a question she should really ask. Also they had actual keys, what a pain, if you lose them they charge you, if you are not out at EXACTLY 11 they charge you. We over paid for sure. I wish I would have made a fuss and left and got my money back because it was an awful experience. The ONLY good thing about this place is the location. It's close to the beach but loud loud and nasty. Also the housekeeper...banged on the door, which was locked from the inside for no less than 10 minutes yelling "HOUSEKEEPING" hey crazy, it's locked...from the inside...we don't check out for another day...leave us alone. Evidently our do not disturb sign fell off. At most decent places once they realize it's locked from the inside they leave you alone, this lady was a psycho about yelling it and trying the key and moving the door handle just rude and pathetic customer service. http://youtu.be/yX1WPLSrtaA

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Okay, let me start off my saying that if you're looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, this isn't it (go try the Pacific Terrace for $300/night). If you're the kind of person who will get hung up on details like a slightly crooked light fixture or scuffs on the molding, this is not for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for a hotel or suite that is right near the beach (Less than a block away!) and offers A/C, swimming pool and jacuzzi, nearby shopping and restaurants, etc, all at a great price - check out the Beach Haven Inn! My wife and two small children booked one of the recently renovated suites (living room with pullout and kitchen with stove, fridge, micro) and had a really nice stay. The staff was very friendly, responsive and accomodating, especially Bob! He even brought out a little boogie board for us to use at the beach! Cleaning staff was great too! Suite and Pool clean the whole 3 days. Overall, just a really nice stay. I'd have given them 5 stars if it weren't for some details we didn't love (like BR door sticking, A/C unit was in one room and not central, all tile in living room where carpeting or a rug would have been nice, pull-out couch was not made to handle much weight so only the kids could lie on the bed... little things). But, I give them 4 stars for a great stay at a great price (our suite was only $120/night!) :) Thanks, Beach Haven Inn! :)

Room Tip: We were in 105 which was a corner unit facing the pool (ask for pool-side!) This was also good for a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Beach Haven Inn.
The staff and I appreciate your feedback as it is important to see where any improvement can be made. Our goal is to make each and every guest feel welcome and comfortable.
Thank you again and we hope to see you in the very near future.

Sunny USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I spent a week in August here at this little gem. We planned on spending our week at the beach so location was important. We booked a standard room with two queen beds for my husband and I with our 3 and 9 yr olds. At the end of the block is the beach (5 min walk). The room is no frills, but still clean and the pool and pool area is nice. It's on the corner so if you prefer it quiet, ask for a room away from Mission Blvd. Overall, it wasn't a noisy place anyhow. There are many, many places within walking distance for dining, and everyone seemed to walk or bike everywhere. For the price you can't beat this place. Just down the block prices were 3x higher. We just wanted a safe, clean, friendly place to call home for the week and this place definitely fit the description. Will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing a positive review of the Beach Haven Inn.
As you mention we are just a short walk to the beach and in close proximity to many fine restaurants and attractions.
The pool area with the BBQ grill is a nice feature that many guests mention when reviewing our property.
Thank you again for taking the as your feedback about the staff, the property, and the surrounding area is very important to us.

Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was perfect for our large family, the staff was very friendly, just a few minute walk to the beach, a place to bbq, loved loved our time there! We were able to walk to the store for food to bbq or walk to a restaurant to eat at. Loved the fact we could leave our things on the beach and go explore throughout the day and go back to our area. Had some crazy kids above us one night but the staff had security there right away and handled everything for us, great staff, great stay

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back to avoid any traffic noise
Dear guest,

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The family suite is spacious and accommodates a family of four comfortably. The BBQ grill poolside is very popular. It would be our pleasure accommodating you and your family on your annual visit to San Diego. Thank you again for the nice review.

St. Catharines, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The date we stayed there were not any of the mini suites available so we booked a standard room. It is definitely the bare minimum. We did not even have a plastic cup to get a drink of water and one night there was not a spot available in the lot so we had to find a space on the street (about a block a way). Bathroom was pretty shabby chic and the AC was loud. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. There is no fridge in the standard room which would have been nice. I did see a one bedroom suite and they appeared to be nice and a better value for sure. Our room could adjoin and would have been good for a family wishing to have two bedroom suite. Location is nice and you can easily walk to the beach and dining from this hotel. Staff was nice and helpful. Overall, I think it was a decent price and location for this area of San Diego.

Dear guest,

I apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. We do provide drinking glasses for our guests in each room. I can’t explain why there were none in your room! We do provide free parking based on space availability and there is additional parking nearby if our lot is full.
Depending on what your needs require, the one bedroom suite can provide a comfortable stay if you don’t mind a sofa sleeper versus a traditional bed. As you mentioned in your review, getting two rooms with two beds each and the kitchen between is also an option.
The staff and myself hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit back to San Diego.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This place is very nice and clean. Rooms are decent, Pool and facilities are family friendly, and stuff is very nice and helpful. This hotel is the best option for its price in PB and MB area. I would definately go again!

Room Tip: Don't pick room number 102! It is noisy!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the Beach Haven Inn. We are pleased you enjoyed the comfort of the bed as most rooms have pillow top mattresses. We also offer kitchen units for even more convenience. Our location is close proximity not only to the beach but restaurants, nightlife and shopping. I am pleased our Front Desk agent at night was able to assist you with your travel arrangements. We hope to see you again soon for perhaps a longer visit.

Bill Nelson

Been to Beach Haven Inn? Share your experiences!