“location is the only good thing about this place” 1 of 5 stars

Beach Haven Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4740 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Ranked #89 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Paradise Valley, AZ
“location is the only good thing about this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I arrived around 7pm to one of the least friendly front desk people of all time. He tried to tell me that since my reservation said 2 people but I put 3 people on the list I had to pay 10 dollars extra a night. That isn't what I was told on the phone and he said "who did you talk to??" I had no idea. But he acted like a total jerk and said "oh I know who YOU talked to, FINE" Thanks...jerk. Get into the room... the a/c is a window unit with a gap...so yes there were bugs. The outlet in the room ( I had room 108) closest to the couch was not on correctly and we couldn't plug anything into the outlets without things falling out of them. The rooms themselves were ok. There were stains on the comforter, hairs on the pillow cases and the floor felt dirty everywhere. We should have taken pictures of how dirty our feet got just from walking around but we didn't. The fridge was a mini fridge. The water in the shower was very particular, either very hot or very cold. The view faced a building next door. The parking was ABSURD!!!! Not enough spaces so they REALLY shouldn't even advertise parking. The fold out bed in the living room was beyond awful, it was LOUD and uncomfortable, bars in all the wrong places, lumpy just terrible. The place was NOISY. Don't get a downstairs room if you plan to sleep, my room was just outside of the hot tub (it's a square so they all are) As soon as anyone was outside in that area talking you couldn't help but hear it. The walls were paper thin so you literally hear EVERYTHING going on. This place has a 72 hour cancellation policy otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there after I read the reviews. When I went to check out the girl didn't ask "how was your stay" I can only imagine she knows she works in a dump and that isn't a question she should really ask. Also they had actual keys, what a pain, if you lose them they charge you, if you are not out at EXACTLY 11 they charge you. We over paid for sure. I wish I would have made a fuss and left and got my money back because it was an awful experience. The ONLY good thing about this place is the location. It's close to the beach but loud loud and nasty. Also the housekeeper...banged on the door, which was locked from the inside for no less than 10 minutes yelling "HOUSEKEEPING" hey crazy, it's locked...from the inside...we don't check out for another day...leave us alone. Evidently our do not disturb sign fell off. At most decent places once they realize it's locked from the inside they leave you alone, this lady was a psycho about yelling it and trying the key and moving the door handle just rude and pathetic customer service. http://youtu.be/yX1WPLSrtaA

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank AZactiveobserver

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Okay, let me start off my saying that if you're looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, this isn't it (go try the Pacific Terrace for $300/night). If you're the kind of person who will get hung up on details like a slightly crooked light fixture or scuffs on the molding, this is not for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for a hotel or suite that is right near the beach (Less than a block away!) and offers A/C, swimming pool and jacuzzi, nearby shopping and restaurants, etc, all at a great price - check out the Beach Haven Inn! My wife and two small children booked one of the recently renovated suites (living room with pullout and kitchen with stove, fridge, micro) and had a really nice stay. The staff was very friendly, responsive and accomodating, especially Bob! He even brought out a little boogie board for us to use at the beach! Cleaning staff was great too! Suite and Pool clean the whole 3 days. Overall, just a really nice stay. I'd have given them 5 stars if it weren't for some details we didn't love (like BR door sticking, A/C unit was in one room and not central, all tile in living room where carpeting or a rug would have been nice, pull-out couch was not made to handle much weight so only the kids could lie on the bed... little things). But, I give them 4 stars for a great stay at a great price (our suite was only $120/night!) :) Thanks, Beach Haven Inn! :)

Room Tip: We were in 105 which was a corner unit facing the pool (ask for pool-side!) This was also good for a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BurkeVaTraveler
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Beach Haven Inn.
The staff and I appreciate your feedback as it is important to see where any improvement can be made. Our goal is to make each and every guest feel welcome and comfortable.
Thank you again and we hope to see you in the very near future.

Sunny USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I spent a week in August here at this little gem. We planned on spending our week at the beach so location was important. We booked a standard room with two queen beds for my husband and I with our 3 and 9 yr olds. At the end of the block is the beach (5 min walk). The room is no frills, but still clean and the pool and pool area is nice. It's on the corner so if you prefer it quiet, ask for a room away from Mission Blvd. Overall, it wasn't a noisy place anyhow. There are many, many places within walking distance for dining, and everyone seemed to walk or bike everywhere. For the price you can't beat this place. Just down the block prices were 3x higher. We just wanted a safe, clean, friendly place to call home for the week and this place definitely fit the description. Will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank effort2fun
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing a positive review of the Beach Haven Inn.
As you mention we are just a short walk to the beach and in close proximity to many fine restaurants and attractions.
The pool area with the BBQ grill is a nice feature that many guests mention when reviewing our property.
Thank you again for taking the as your feedback about the staff, the property, and the surrounding area is very important to us.

Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was perfect for our large family, the staff was very friendly, just a few minute walk to the beach, a place to bbq, loved loved our time there! We were able to walk to the store for food to bbq or walk to a restaurant to eat at. Loved the fact we could leave our things on the beach and go explore throughout the day and go back to our area. Had some crazy kids above us one night but the staff had security there right away and handled everything for us, great staff, great stay

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back to avoid any traffic noise
Dear guest,

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The family suite is spacious and accommodates a family of four comfortably. The BBQ grill poolside is very popular. It would be our pleasure accommodating you and your family on your annual visit to San Diego. Thank you again for the nice review.

St. Catharines, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The date we stayed there were not any of the mini suites available so we booked a standard room. It is definitely the bare minimum. We did not even have a plastic cup to get a drink of water and one night there was not a spot available in the lot so we had to find a space on the street (about a block a way). Bathroom was pretty shabby chic and the AC was loud. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. There is no fridge in the standard room which would have been nice. I did see a one bedroom suite and they appeared to be nice and a better value for sure. Our room could adjoin and would have been good for a family wishing to have two bedroom suite. Location is nice and you can easily walk to the beach and dining from this hotel. Staff was nice and helpful. Overall, I think it was a decent price and location for this area of San Diego.

Dear guest,

I apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. We do provide drinking glasses for our guests in each room. I can’t explain why there were none in your room! We do provide free parking based on space availability and there is additional parking nearby if our lot is full.
Depending on what your needs require, the one bedroom suite can provide a comfortable stay if you don’t mind a sofa sleeper versus a traditional bed. As you mentioned in your review, getting two rooms with two beds each and the kitchen between is also an option.
The staff and myself hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit back to San Diego.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This place is very nice and clean. Rooms are decent, Pool and facilities are family friendly, and stuff is very nice and helpful. This hotel is the best option for its price in PB and MB area. I would definately go again!

Room Tip: Don't pick room number 102! It is noisy!
    • 4 of 5 stars
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the Beach Haven Inn. We are pleased you enjoyed the comfort of the bed as most rooms have pillow top mattresses. We also offer kitchen units for even more convenience. Our location is close proximity not only to the beach but restaurants, nightlife and shopping. I am pleased our Front Desk agent at night was able to assist you with your travel arrangements. We hope to see you again soon for perhaps a longer visit.

Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here with our 3 boys (9 and twin two year olds). Our experience here was remarkable. We have visited San Diego twice a year for the past 3 years, and Beach Have is our new go to spot. The location couldn't be more perfect. Seconds from the beach, we didn't have to drive anywhere, which was perfect since our twins still took naps and I could walk back to our room while my oldest son and his dad stayed out on the beach. We didn't have to fight the madess of the narrow streets & circle around for what seems like hours for a decent parking spot since Beach Haven had plenty of parking that is strrictly for it's guests. We visited during the NBA Finals so it was imperative we had dinner at places that were showing the game. The gentleman at the front desk was very kind and helpful with this. There is a laundry room provided for guests (free of charge & free detergent & cling too!) The emploees rock! and are super friendly. We requsted a kitchen with our room for an additional $10 a day. Very worth it with 3 snacking children. It included a full size fridge, microwave, stove, coffemaker, dining table w/chairs, pots and pans, plates, bowls, and silverware. I'm talking the works! The sink also had a dishsponge and dish detergent to clean up, which housekeeping will go above and beyond and do for you. The first morning after breakfast we left excitedly to the beach without a worry in the world. When we returned for lunch, we found the kitchen spotless. Housekeeping had washed our dishes for us & cleaned the table and counters... I couldn't believe it!!! I made sure to clean up every morning after that, but even if we left a single spoon out, they'd clean it. And don't even get me started on the comfort of the mattresses! We slept great every night and had an excellent experience staying here. As a bonus, the firework show from Sea World could be seen right out our window :-) My husband and I agree Beach Haven is where we will stay every visit from here on out.

Room Tip: Remember if you want a kitchen to Request it!!! If booking online requset in the notes section or c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank M R
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your glowing review and are pleased and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Beach Haven Inn.
As you point out the location is tremendous. Even though it is necessary to take stairs down to the sand, the elevated view from the end of Missouri St. on the boardwalk can be mesmerizing.
Having a full kitchen can be convenient especially with young children. Our housekeepers take pride in doing a good.
We offer the washer and dryer at no charge as an amenity to our guests
Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.