“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolphin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Dolphin Motel
You added Dolphin Motel to your Saves list
2912 Garrison Street, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Ranked #8 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This motel is clean and comfortable and the breakfast is served daily. The staff is friendly and helpful. This is the best budget motel I ever been. The internet access is very good and was included on the price. The room was cleaned every day and also all towels were changed. They offer maps, GPS, Laptops, ice and bottle of water for free. You can't ask for more when you are travelling in a budge with your family. I stayed there with my wife and my little kid. Thanks.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you feite77 for writing about your recent stay at our motel on tripadvisor.
Tripadvisor is the internet's foremost website for information from guests' perspectives. Contributions from good guests like yourself have help our business get exposure to future potential guests.
In fairness, we have always conveyed our place as a budget motel, with emphasis as an alternative to our higher priced neighbors.
We hope all our future guests will inquire about our location, and whether we are the right fit for them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Zacatecoluca, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This motel is clean, pleasant, and comfortably yet simply furnished. A nice continental breakfadt with good coffee is served daily. The staff is friendly, warm, and helpful. This may well be the best budget motel in the city. An extra plus: very good internet access.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you Kate for staying here at the Dolphin Motel, a budget motel for budget-minded travelers.
"Ask to see our rooms" is what the sign outside says, it brings in guests both off-season & summer season. Although we are limited by the number of rooms (31), we encourage all our future guests to inquire if we have what they need in terms of accommodations.
June & July are the busiest month every year & many of our return guests know the trend, so they book 2-4 months ahead!
What brings in new guests are great comments posted by good folks like yourself.
We do read them, sometimes over & over again!
Once again we thank you for staying here & sharing your thoughts on tripadvisor.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I am a local to San Diego. Wound up on a hard time as we all do from time to time. I had to stay in hotels for close to a year jumping from one place to another with most places requiring a 28 day check out. They do that to avoid state tax and to make it to where you cant claim residence. I first stayed the night in small room than most other places and kinda didnt want to be there. The first night i stayed the bed was so clean to what I use to. I woke up and felt like the cash I spent was honored. The bed was nee and pillows very plush. Most places just want to take and not give back. I thought ok well id stay the 28 days since i was already there and was use to that routine. After three weeks the owner told me if i stay 1 more week they would pay back all the state tax that i have paid. Couldnt believe it. Day 28 came and he handed me a check back for 160.00 dollars. I couldnt believe it and he said if i would like to stay longer feel free too. So i did. 6 months and a few weeks to be honest. I was getting back on my feet and was looking for a place to stay other than a motel. They office refered me to a friend of thiers that ownes a complex where i wanted to move located in old town. I wasnt sure if i would get into the place as i found them on craigslist before i was refered and was kinda ashamed to say i had to stay in a hotel for a while. Not only did i have one of the best times of my life there they also was a key factor into gettting me into a place of permanent residency. Totally unreal. i consider this motel as family and know they do the same to me. I never had a bad experience at this place and will go back soon for a rest and relax. All the staff is very respectful and thats very rare. I was sad to leave and kinda wanted to stay as i felt at home and not use to having family. So cool. I feel in my heart that i would not be in the same place that i am today without their help. I truly consider them as family and that is unreal to say for a motel. They earned it and i pray for thier future to stay. Best motel hotel on the planet. If you are wanting a family style place with respect and cleanliness this is the spot. The people that stay there are from all over the world and not druggies.Thank you so much for every thing you did to help me. I will never forget what you did and do and when i refer people to you i know what they will experience. A wonderful stay. I will be back for vacation next time. I can't wait! Bless you all

Dave Tharp

• Stayed May 2014
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dave you are too kind. Hope things work out for you.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I travel for work and stay in hotels all over the world. I stay in all kinds of Hotels, some Five-Diamond, Five Star and some not. Dolphin Motel has by far the "Best" customer service staff I have ever experienced. Every single person working is incredibly nice. Yes, it's an older Motel, no phones in the rooms, no mini bars, no luxury tubs or fancy Concierge on property. But, I would stay here over those places any day. Why, because they still have what our unfortunate society is lacking these days, PERSONALITY!!
Great staff, highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
This generous review brought a lingering smile to our owners & our staff as they are read it! (Even now as we're writing the response).
We are grateful that you gave our motel a chance to be part of your recent business trip.
Our hard-working owners have been running the motel for 38 years, they keep a tidy schedule: coming down everyday to say hi to all our guests & maintenance.
Their work ethics are a positive example to our young staff!
But most important is good guests like yourself, who keep our business alive.
We thank you for coming here!
Trevose, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Four of us stayed here for two nights. We had two rooms, but it was still a great value. It was easy to find, convenient to all attractions. The motel has restaurants within walking distance. The rooms were comfortable. The Continental Breakfast was good, and it was nice sitting outside. We had a room on the second floor with a nice view of the marina.

The best part about this place is their service. There's nothing that they won't do!!!

Wouldn't stay anywhere else when in San Diego!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thanks to your wonderful family for making our motel a part of their recent visit to California.
From looking at your profile, you guys have been everywhere!
Our hard-working owners Alan & Holly are so pleased to read your generous review on our behalf.
They keep to heart every input from our guests because they actively make the most of the limited resources available. Being an older motel, are fully aware of our limitations and we hope all our guests will see our motel for what fits their needs. Your wonderful review will help future guests get a good idea of what we have to offer
We hope all our future guests will inquire about our accommodations and see if we have the right accommodations for their needs.
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

This motel is the best little motel in the city. It is close to the water across the road from marina. There is no pool but close to the beach. The gentlemen who run this motel are amazing. They provide everything you could need: towels, maps, free breakfast, wi fi, etc. Rooms are very small but extremely clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
We thank you Becky for recommending our motel to all future guests
It is a pleasure to have you guys visit this corner of North America
Our hard working owners & staff want to see all our guests enjoy their stay no matter how simple our motel accommodations are.
We treat our guests like family and 99% of our guests say our value (what you pay vs what you get) is the best in town!
As a small family-owned buiness, we have to give individual attention to our guests as we count everyone equally important.
We do our best to keep the peace as noise travels through the walls
with every smiling face that walks through our door, it gives us a sense of immense satisfaction that we made their visit memorable.
San Diego has alot to offer in terms of sights & sounds, and we sincerely hope all our guests are just as generous as you guys; willing to give our small motel a chance!
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We paid $80/night for our two night stay here. It's across the street from the marina and near some good places to eat. I rated it as excellent because it is an excellent bargain and they give you exactly what they say they will.

If you're looking for more than a bed and a bathroom, look elsewhere. This place provides you a comfortable,quiet place to sleep and a place to shower/shave/etc. and change your clothes. That's all you need when you're in town to see the beauty of San Diego. If you want luxury, head to the downtown or Harbor Drive area.

My wife and I enjoyed this place because it was exactly as advertised - a cheap, basic place to sleep and clean up. There is nothing fancy here and we were perfectly fine with that.

They do have great wi-fi and the staff is very pleasant and helpful. One other note: This place is VERY CLEAN. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: I would choose an upstairs room in case there is noise from people walking above you. I did not sta...