“Dolphin Delight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolphin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Dolphin Motel
You added Dolphin Motel to your Saves list
2912 Garrison Street, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Ranked #10 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Dolphin Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at the Dolphin Motel for 11 nights at the end of an extended cycle tour on three continents. Maybe it was the comfort of a proper roof over our heads instead of a tent, or the free breakfast, or the proximity of a bathroom without having to stumble over other people's tent pegs in the dark - but we loved our time here.
Our room, though small, was clean, fresh and comfortable with a fridge and tv.
The breakfast was simple but perfectly adequate - even for cyclists. An endless supply of coffee or tea, plus juice, blueberry and chocolate muffins, bananas and yoghurt.
Free wifi.
But best of all - the friendliness of the staff. This is a family run motel and father and son are usually around. One of the cleaning staff has been there 37 years. All of them were extremely helpful, and had no hesitation letting us pack up our tandem in the courtyard. Once the bike was boxed up, one of the staff helped us lug the boxes into the reception area to weigh them to ensure we weren't overweight for our flight. It was the sort of help and kindness you seldom get at the big "chain" motels.
There were only two negatives - we did find there was a bit of noise from people moving around in a room above us. And the location - while just a short walk from the waterfront, a marina and several restaurants - is some distance from the town centre. We cycled it no problem, but public transport involved changing buses.
For a cheapie, it's a beauty.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
"Dolphin Delight" - the title is catchy!
Its good to hear from you guys. We do appreciate you sharing your stay at our motel.
It's so nice to hear from experience travelers like yourself, if I remember correctly you biked for most of the trip, and flew back home.
I also remember you guys packing the boxes and making sure it fit the airport standards; lots of duct tape needed.
Once again, as an older motel we cater to mostly budget-minded guests, and the rest we put in the effort to fulfill.
We hope all our future guests are as nice as you guys
Once again, thank you for staying with us Mr. & Mrs. B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Hayfork, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I spend a week in San Diego this past July 2013, I had not been to my hometown in over 30 year. I wanted to be near the bay so I could see all the sight and visit all the attraction that it had to offer. I wanted a place that would be under $100.00 a night, so I got on the wed to search. I am glad that the Dolphin was listed and had a site. I arrived Sunday and found that the motel was near the water, across the street, and close to everything I wanted. The owners and staff were great. If I want anything they ere able to help me all the time. The room was CLEAN and was that way everyday. The Dolphin is small compared to the bigger places to stay in San Diego, but I believe that the service could not be any better. I hope it is not another 30 years until I can get back to the greatest city in California and when I do I will stay at "The Dolphin Motel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Welcome back to San Diego HomerY, and thank you for choosing our motel among the multitude of available places in San Diego.
In terms of precedence, Mr. Murdock was here first: 1976
And in terms of value, we proudly advertise as most reasonable.
We are so grateful you took this opportunity to share about your recent stay to future guests
True to our word, we still hold on as a small family-owned, family-run budget friendly motel.
And it is because of such wonderful guests like yourself, that keep our business alive.
Kenner, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Wife and I stayed there during our recent trip to California. The motel is at a great location and has on site parking. A little tight, but doable. People complained about the breakfast that is sparse, and I agree, but I think it is adequate. We didn't have to eat anything before lunch after our breakfast there, so I believe it is adequate. The front desk is very friendly and helpful, unlike many of the chain properties. The rooms are clean but sound proofing is not there. Probably that is my only nit, as we could hear when someone spoke in the front yard or next room. Overall a very pleasant experience and I will recommend it to anyone looking for a decent accommodation and great value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at our budget motel, we always appreciate our guests sharing their trip with fellow readers on tripadvisor
We are inundated with varying opinions about our accommodations, thus it comes down to individual preference & what our guests' expectations are.
Our hard working owners recommend all our potential guests inquire about our accommodations before they book.
Being a budget motel, our prices reflect such. We are an older building & our rooms being small and preferably for couples on a weekend getaway. Families are ok (and maybe 2 separate rooms). That being said, thank you EnjoysTravelling_007 once again for making our motel a part of your recent visit. We hope you will come back to San Diego on your next "business-vacation" =)
Workington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Hi I stopped at the motel in September. I booked orginally for three nites but booked an extra nite while I was there the first week plus an additonal three nites after my trip into California in the second week. I loved the place. The staff were friendly and helpful, don't get the review that said opposite? Sure the rooms were smaller than the other motels I went on to stop in but it was far from any hardship. The breakfast was great, eating out each morning with plenty of coffee and time to just think about the day without no hasse about moving on from the staff. The room staff were excellent and did a first class job.Tthe motel is central for all of San Diego but you do need a car. Loved it and recommmed it but if you want the Hilton forget it. But if you want a reasonably priced room, friendly staff, clean bedding with easy access to San Diego then try this motel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write about us Dave
Tripadvisor is based on guest opinions and we (like all other places) have our shares of good and bad.
Although the majority of our good guests see our motel for what it is (a budget friendly location), we do occasionally get guests with higher expectations.
We hope all our future customers will contact us and inquire if we have the right accommodations for them.
We would love to have you come back to our location in the near future, the weather & lifestyle here brings visitors.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I highly value trip advisors rating & have to admit I was disappointed with this Motel. Glad we only stayed one night. Front desk was not friendly when we checked in. Rooms are very small. Freshly painted but very old rooms. Make sure you bring your own shampoo & you have to ask for a hair dryer at the front desk. The bathroom light has to be on when you dry your hair. The old shelves for the tv are still up in the rooms with lots of cords hanging to the new flat screens.Breakfast is very small Continental style.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Yikes Theresa,

Wow, this may be the first time on Trip Advisor that a guest has mentioned that one of our desk clerks was not friendly. Thank you for the comment, I will take it to heart. Our front desk personnel are probably the most friendly and accommodating employees in the world. You never have to hesitate or be concerned about asking them to go the extra distance.

To address your points: As you are a Trip Advisor member, no surprise on the small rooms, almost every review mentions that?!
While most of our guests do bring their own shampoo and hairdryers, those that forget are welcome to use our hairdryers or have some free shampoo packets, which are all available in the office. (Just have to ask)
But lets not stop there. We don't believe in nickle and dime'ing our guests with hidden fees, so in addition to inexpensive clean rooms, a great location (across the street from San Diego bay), and even better customer service (please see past reviews) we offer:

Free parking; Free Wi-Fi; Free Cell phone use; Free local faxes; Free Laptop use, Free GPS use, Free use of Irons and Ironing boards.

We will even print your boarding passes and you can use our luggage scale for airline weigh in, NO Charge for any of this. Heck, if your cab is late to the airport, Dad and I (if we can) will gladly run you out on the spot in our own vehicles. We've been doing this for 37 years. Shoot, even our bottled water is free. I don't know of another budget motel in the United States that offers that!!! (or even regular motels).
And yes we have an all you can eat breakfast as well. Yoplait yogurt, fruit(bananas), very good coffee, hot tea, blueberry and chocolate muffins, orange juice, milk, and the morning newspaper. Sorry no bacon, eggs, and waffles but consider our rates are 20-50% under other hotel/motels in the area! And the Point Loma area is a beautiful upscale place to be.

I am sorry your expectations were higher than we could meet.

Best regards,

Alan Murdock and his Dad, Owners

P.S. I am sorry you had to turn on the bathroom light to dry your hair, but I always try to look at the bright side of things. You had more light to work with!!!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

great value and location was perfect for our visits to seaworld and san diego zoo. rooms are small but very clean. short drive to shops and restaurants. highly recommended! staff were very pleasant also.

• Stayed October 2013
DolphinMotel, Director of Sales at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
We're so glad you had a pleasant vacation here at the Dolphin
Our hard working owners have read your wonderful review and want to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our motel
Every morning from 6:00am - 10am we welcome all our guests to a complimentary breakfast comprised of coffee, muffins, orange juice, milk, yogurt, banana, tea
Our owners also welcome guests input on a daily basis, as we make the most from our limited resources. Without a doubt, we pride ourselves in the personal level of attention we give to all our guest. Since our motel is family-owned, we treat our guests like family!
we hope all our future views will give us chance, or at least inquire if our accommodations will suit their needs.
Bettendorf, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great location; very simple, modest room; very clean; staff are great especially Thomas, Steve and Holly - very friendly. All staff (including owners) are very helpful, hoping to make your visit wonderful. Rooms are small but have fridge, wifi, and continental breakfast. So much within walking distance if you need; groceries, liquor, restaurants, Starbucks, etc. For us, it was perfect, very clean and great value. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor harbor view.