“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolphin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Dolphin Motel
Save Saved
You added Dolphin Motel to your Saves list
2912 Garrison St, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Ranked #10 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Kingman, Arizona
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Rooms are small, but I don't go on vacation to sit in my room. The motel is clean, well taken care. The beds are comfortable. The staff was so friendly and courteous and the owner is very, very nice. The breakfast in the morning was just fine with me, fruit, muffins, orange juice, coffee, yogurt, granola bars. When checking I asked the breakfast hours and was told 6am to 10am. I mentioned a was going sportfishing the next morning, and he asked what time the boat left. I told him 6am. He said he would let the attendant on duty know so breakfast would be set up early, and it was set up and ready to go at 5am the next morning. How many motels or hotels would do that for their guests? It was very nice to get off the boat at 6:30pm and just walk across the street to the room. It was quiet all night long. I highly recommend this motel and I will definately stay here again!

Room Tip: Nothing wrong with room 23 at all!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Reading your wonderful review brings a smile to our staff and most of all Mr. Murdock!
We're so glad we could accommodate the two of you during your brief trip to this corner of America.
We love all our guests from Arizona, and we're so glad your stay was peaceful at our motel.
We do try our best to keep the peace around the motel, especially at night because we are an older motel
And as a reference to all future guests,
please contact our 24-hour office if you have any concerns
Sometimes we have unhappy guests who suffer in silence but never tell us about their needs.
The owners and staff are here to address all issues, YES ALL ISSUES!
We hope to see you again for another pleasant stay at our little motel
And please call us far in advance to get the most availabilities

890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at the Dolphin Motel in May of 2013 for a conference that was held at the Sheraton across from the airport. I thought I would be able to take the bus to the Sheraton, but never managed to snag it. The 40 minute walk along the bay was invigorating and scenic. I usually took a cab one way. This was a little hectic given an all day conference schedule, but the cost savings was worth it. I would recommend having a car here if you are vacationing. It's convenient to drive to all vacation areas and it has good parking. I enjoyed walking across the street and checking out the sport fishing boats and yachts. I walked to Shelter Island one day and hung out- it's not a great beach, but was within easy distance. The staff is wonderful- everyone!!!! They allowed me to pay a few extra dollars and stay until I had to leave for the airport on the last day, which gave me a chance to explore, then shower and dress before my flight. Everything is clean and it was quiet. The rooms are quite small, which was fine for me, but when reserving I would recommend asking about room size if you have a lot of luggage or are two large people.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Hello again Jill
We appreciate you writing about your recent stay with us
We're so glad we can accommodate your brief stay with us and the extended late check-out you requested.
Sometimes the room is reserved but we always try to work with our good guests!
We highly recommend a rental car to go sightseeing, but the city transportation may be sufficient (the only problem is waiting for the bus)
Hope you come back in the near future to this corner of America!
Zaltbommel, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Okay, if you're used to the main chain motels this is a bit different. The rooms are small, the bathroom is small but all is clean. The location is great, wonderfull and quiet. The personell is wonderfull and helpfull. The outside area is very cosy in the evening. The service is beyond all other service we ever experienced. We had reservations for two nights. The first day we took a shower and went to sleep when we got a call we had to go home immediately. The front desk didn't charge anything for the room although we used the towels and slept the beds ! Really, great service, great personell and if we will ever be able to return to San Diego this is the hotel first on the list.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Hello Dutchkathy,
I remember you good folks the night you checked in with us, I was the one who gave you the extra pillows for your back!
Thank you for giving our little motel a try
Unfortunately our rooms were too small for your needs, and based on your back problem, we were not able to accommodate you guys
Nevertheless our good staff member JEB was so generous to give you a refund based on the fact we could not accommodate your special need the morning after you stayed with us
We do value all our customers, and hopefully your input will give future travelers a good idea of what our motel has to offer
Whether we have what they are looking for (or not)
Saint Peter, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in room 28 for 4 nights. We couldn't have chosen a better place to stay in San Diego for our family. The glitz of Mission beach... too expensive and gaudy for us. Calm and quiet, daily/fluffy white towels, nice bed linens, and simple breakfast were appreciated. We didn't mind the small room. Perfect location for our trips to the beach, zoo, and restaurants. So many sights/eateries within walking distance. The front desk staff so helpful and cordial. Price was right too!

Room Tip: Room 28 has a nice second deck balcony looking over the bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Our heartfelt thanks to you guys for taking the time to write about your recent trip to San Diego & our motel.
It's great to hear from you guys again!
I am so happy we were able to accommodate your family for the few nights you were here
San Diego does have numerous attractions for the kids; both young and old
So glad you guys booked early with us because the room you had could accommodation everyone
Also Steve and I remember saying our final farewells to you guys before you flew out
All of us here hope you return in the near future to our little motel
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The positive reviews about this family run motel were spot on. They've kept up their excellent standards. Small, plain, but clean rooms at a price that fit my pocketbook. (There were no hidden fees for parking, wifi, or anything). The location was just as described on their website, first rate. The motel was close to most everything I wanted to see. The staff was friendly and helpful, and made me feel right at home. The continental breakfast was modest but good. If you don't mind hearing some of the breakfast conversation in the morning (I shut my window), then you may like this place too. I like to economize when I travel and this places fits the bill. P.S. they even have an old fashioned scale to weigh your airline luggage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Welcome back Stevenator!
All our staff and housekeepers are so delighted to see you again
It is return customers like yourself that keep our family-owned business alive in these difficult times
The owners can't thank you enough for taking the time to write about us again, and giving future guest an idea of what we have to offer.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Located minutes from everything in Downtown San Diego, a short walk from the harbor and amazingly affordable, the Dolphin Motel is adorable and a true hidden gem. As always I am a sucker for free breakfast, and sitting the motel's courtyard, enjoying breakfast with that cool San Diego breeze was a great start to my day. If you are in the area it can't be beat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hello DrivenMeg,
I see you must have met Mr. Murdock during the morning while having breakfast
You bring a smile to him as he is reading your review
It is a blessing to have such wonderful guests like yourself
we are right across the street from the harbor, and our upstairs rooms are in limited numbers
We urge all our future guests to call as far ahead as possible
And we do try our best to keep the quiet throughout the motel
Hopefully all our guests will address any issues to our 24-hour desk
Colebrook, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I cant say enough on how much I enjoy staying at this place.
The staff are always trying to please.
The price cant be beat,
this is a no frills hotel, very clean .
Great location to the submarine base down the road.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Good gracious harryC!
Your generosity well deserves the owner and staffs' attention
It is every little detail our good guests hint to us
We sincerely hope all our future guests see our motel for its true worth: budget
We do not advertise any other way and hope our future guest will contact us to see if we are the right fit for their needs
Once in a while we do get guests with "high expectations", but for the most part they deserve a much high class lodging with the higher price to match
Many thanks from all of us here at our little motel

Been to Dolphin Motel? Share your experiences!