“It is what it is,brilliant budget motel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolphin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Dolphin Motel
2912 Garrison St, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Ranked #16 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Southampton, United Kingdom
“It is what it is,brilliant budget motel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Am on a 4 week visit to US from the UK starting in San Diego,saw the Dolphin on line and loved the look of the place.Stayed for 4 nights and cannot be more pleased with my choice.Rooms are a good size and very,very clean,lovely fluffy white towels,great shower and comfortable bed.What I think makes this motel stand out is the staff.Always friendly and helpful,giving directions and advising on where to visit.An example of this help and concern happened when I arrived back at the motel after not having enough change to pay at a automatic toll booth and driving through the red light.The duty manager found and called the relative authorities and the problem was sorted without fuss,brilliant.
This motel is of the old style and some may think a little worn,but I believe this adds to its charm,works for me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you so much Mr. Nicho
It is a pleasure serving such wonderful guests like yourself
It is no secret we may not be the right motel for everyone.
Especially guests who have higher expectations (want bigger rooms, telephones in rooms, need bath tubs, etc)
We do try our best with what little we have; as we are an older motel
We hope many of our guests are as nice as you

850 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The only reason why you would pick this hotel is because of TripAdvsior rating and the price. However, if you can get a room at another better rating hotel in that area for less than or equal to 90 bucks (which is unlikely) then dont choose this one. The rooms are small. There is no telephone in the room. The A/C unit makes loud noise. You can hear people talking in the next room or parking lot in the night. Very small bathrooms. 70 bucks is still probably pricy for that room because I dont see where I am spending that 70 bucks in that room. Yeah, service and people are great and very friendly, the room and the bed is very clean. I am not saying this as to insult and no offense, I would say 50 bucks is good enough still.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hello S.K. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, though with all due respect, I believe your expectations we unrealistic. Budget motels do have A/C wall units that you can hear, and yes you can sometimes hear your neighbors inside or in the parking lot. Motels get their name from small hotels with guests' cars parked outside their rooms. (Motor hotels-Motor Inns). Yes the rooms are small but no suprise there(See Trip Advisor reviews). Cell phones, GPS, laptops, irons, hairdryers, etc. available for loan out upon request in the office. (Not much demand for cell phones, most everyone has one). Sorry you did not believe we are a good value. Fortunately, the great majority of our guests disagree and understand they will get a no frills, neat, clean room with a wonderful location and even better service. (Once again, see reviews). Regarding the $90-$70$50 comments, I kindly suggest that you check pricing in the area for a family at this time of year. Finally, no insult taken regarding your comment that our family room is worth $50. I am not aware of any 2 bed room family room in San Diego for $50. Sincerely, Alan Murdock, owner with my Dad
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our flight home was cancelled, so we needed a place to stay last minute. I had read about the Dolphin Motel on Tripadvisor, and we happened to be in Point Loma. I thought we would stop by and see if they had any available rooms. They did, and I was impressed immediately by the very friendly staff. Asked to see a room, and it was spotless. Couldn't have beat the price, and the location was great. The room was small, which wasn't a problem at all for us. The only problem we had was the bed wasn't the most comfortable. If it wasn't for that, it would have been perfect. I wouldn't stay there for a long trip, but for a night or two it is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We got a room on the second floor, and it had a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently tripmanIdaho
You are correct, our rooms are do not have much space
If all you are looking for is a place to sleep, we are perfect for your needs.
All in all, we do not advertise ourselves as fancy or with many extras (we don't have telephones, or bath tubs) but we make up with service and cleanliness.
We hope all future guests will take into consideration that we may not fit everyone's needs.
But please contact us and see if we have what you need.
Mpls., MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Dolphin is at most, 15-20 min. from anything you'd want to see in San Diego. The staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful.
Small rooms, few amenities in each room originally. However, they have hair dryers and GPS available for your use during your stay. (no charge- just ask.)
My only suggestion would be have coffee pots in the rooms. Also, it's too bad they don't have a pool, but, at those prices, you can't complain too much.

Room Tip: Ask for water view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you psat41313 for staying at our motel recently
Our office is open 24/7 for our guests if they have any questions, information about places to go, or to borrow a hairdryer, iron, or print boarding pass
Hope you come back in the near future
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My first time in San Diego had a wonderful time! The Dolphin lnn is a nice budget motel. The staff was very courteous and helpful, the owner even gave us a map and pointed out some local attractions. I only have one suggestion, it would have been nice if the refrigerator in our room was plugged in before our arrival time, we thought the refrigerator didn't work and called for some assistance. But overall a very nice place to stay and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you jcsms for writing about your recent stay with us.
All in all we thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our little motel
Your review will help others evaluate if our place fits their needs
As said a hundred times, we are a budget motel best suited for budget travelers.
For our future guests: if you are looking for a clean place to sleep, we are perfect for your needs
However, we may not have all the accommodations that some guests expect from places they might otherwise pay double the price.
Please contact us beforehand to make sure we are "the right fit"

Minor note: to conserve electricity (and not overfreeze the frig), we keep it unplugged.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Loved this place!! Smallish rooms could use some color and decorating but the friendliness of the place and the cleanliness of the place outweighed anything else that it lacked. The TV was surprisingly big for the room, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom, though small, was adequate for our needs.

Breakfast was supplied on a help-yourself basis.. huge Costco type muffins, juices and coffee and fruit and yogurts. We received lots of personal attention from the owner who was fun and friendly to chat to. He told us about places to see and gave us maps and even offered to let us use a GPS so we wouldn't get lost.

Lovely location next to the water, boats parked in the harbor; just beautiful. Oh, and we were also given a voucher for delicious appetizers at Miguel's Mexican Restaurant which is within walking distance from the motel. BEST MEXICAN restaurant I've been to in all my life. We went there 3 days in a row! There is a seafood restaurant also within walking distance but we never made it there. Maybe next time.

I'm rather picky about where I stay and when I read about Dolphin Motel online, I have to admit I hesitated to book because I didn't think it would be up to much. But now having stayed there, I would climb over people to book in again. It's an excellent value for money and the owner and staff are personable and kind and helpful - even gave us some bottled water for our journey back home... yes, I would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: We didn't pre-book. We were lucky they had a vacancy on the day we arrived. However, they told...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
On behalf of everyone here, thank you for this most generous review Can-kim
We strongly recommend our future guests to call us ahead of time to ensure the most availability.
Sometimes during the slow days we have penty of availabilities, but its a shot in the dark for walk-ins.
We will always try to work with you when it comes to accommodations.
Many thanks and we hope all our future guests are as friendly as you guys!
small town usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Dolphin hotel for 3 nights and must say the service was excellent. They were very helpful with any questions we had regarding San Diego. The location is perfect central location. Easy to drive to all attractions. The hotel was spotless! I mean spotless. I have been in 4 star hotel that aren't as clean as the Dolphin hotel. The parking and internet is free! love that!! I agree the internet is slow but unless you are on business, not that important. I would recommend staying here to anyone who doesn't have to have 4 star hotel but enjoys good location, and great service!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you kindly luv2travell for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
We pride ourselves in cleanliness, service, and value.
As stated many times over, we really want all future guests to read about our motel and see if we are the right fit for them. Sometimes we may not have the accommodations they need; and some guests may find our motel sufficient.
Your recent review will help everyone get a glimpse of our little motel.

Been to Dolphin Motel? Share your experiences!