“Great hotel/location. Terrible customer service in last & found dept” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

You added DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11915 El Camino Real, San Diego, CA 92130-2539   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #58 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great hotel/location. Terrible customer service in last & found dept”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Great hotel, good front desk clerks, clean comfortable room, but we left our 2 expensive pillows..close to $200 for both, in our room and headed home back to AZ. Dealing with Deanna in the Lost and Found department was a nightmare!! She wanted to ship them but would not tell me how much. She just wanted a CC #. I was not comfortable giving that to her and have to wind up paying $50 to have my pillows shipped to me. We don't have that much money..sad, but true as is with many people now a days. So, I told her I'd try to find a friend that was heading to the area and have them come get them in the next few weeks. I found someone and called Deanna back to tell her (the 2nd week they were left there) and she got all mad and said that she needed to know what day my friend would be there and I told her that she was going to call me when she knew what day she could head over. Deanna said "well, I need to know what day she is coming. Thank you" and she hung up on me!! GREAT customer service! She also said that they could not hold things longer than 3 weeks. Well we were good on that time frame then. That was a week and a half ago. Today, I called to inform them that my friend would be by to get them this afternoon. And Deanna pretended that she didn't know who I was, and tried to tell me that I must have stayed at a different Double tree hotel..what the?? She continued to play stupid and said she would call me back. When she called back, she all of the sudden DID remember me but said that the pillows were shipped last week. I asked if they were shipped free of charge because I never gave a CC # and never consented to that. She said that someone called and gave a CC# I told her that no, in fact no one ever did and asked what the Fed X tracking # was and she said they could not find it. I said that they had never been shipped then. She again said she would call me back. Never heard from her called and talked to a manager..who said they would call me back and hung up w/o even taking down my phone number. I waited an hour and called back and called Deanna out on the fact that she was annoyed with me and therefore got rid of my pillows. She said again that they couldn't find them but they were shipped last week by Hannea at the front desk...RIGHT! She asked if I wanted them to send me 2 of their Down pillows and I said no, I want a check for my $200 pillows or a 2 night complimentary stay. She sounded shocked at the request, said she would talk to management and call me back. I would not stay here again just because of this, but if you don't plan on leaving anything in the room then the hotel was alright.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010 via mobile

We contacted the Doubletree for a very short notice banquet and they were EXTREMELY accomodating (as opposed to the Woodfin, which due to location, had been our first choice). Because of the timing of my fathers death we were hastily arranging his funeral for a Monday afternoon on the Friday afternoon beforehand. We tried the Woodfin first as they were closer to the funeral home, but when they didn't get back to me by Saturday at noon because "nobody from sales and catering was available till Monday morning," I called the Doubletree. Pinky at the front desk located the executive chef, Bob Kennedy, within 10 minutes. He was extremely accomodating and got us set up for Monday making a stressful situation very easy for us. Admittedly, I have not stayed at this hotel, but if their commitment to service is anything like I saw in this short notice situation, you would make a good decision if you stayed here (especially vs the Woodfin in Sorrento Valley!).

• Stayed July 2010
DoubletreeDelMarGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
The Doubletree Del Mar team thanks you for the opportunity to make a stressful time a bit easier for your family. We look forward to welcoming you back under different circumstances.

Best Regards,
Richard Sandoval
Doubletree Del Mar
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We've stayed here four times within the past 2 months and each time it just keeps getting better (thanks Ramaz & Barbara- great management...and Tim & Brandon for great shuttle service!).

We've stayed both as a couple and with teenagers.

We are very practical travellers and really like great value amenities as well as feeling like we are valued guests. If you look at my other reviews, you'll see that we look for practical amenities as well as great customer service.

First of all, even though it's a "business center" location- who cares...it makes it less expensive and they have free shuttle service to approximately 4-6 miles. We love just parking- for free!- and never having to use our car 'til check out! THANK YOU TIM & BRANDON! You guys are awewome!!

So, it's a given that we love the free shuttle. We also love the free cookies (thanks Barbara for always giving us extra!! :) as it saves us money from buying desserts- especially with teenagers in tow :) And they also provide free water bottles & apples which also saved us a little $$$ too (does eating apples cancel out the fat/calories from eating their decadent, sinfully delicious cookies????)

The free parking is great and much appreciated. I've read several other hotel reviews and man oh man, hotel guests (myself included) HATE having to pay extra for parking. You'd think they'd get a clue! So kudos to DT DM for offering this nice perk!

The best tip we got on our first visit was from our shuttle driver, Tim when he took us to Torrey Pines State Park in Del Mar (Conveniently located 1.5 miles away from the hotel). Ever since he introduced us to this gem (shame on me for being a SoCal native and never exploring the great hiking they offer here!) we go there every time we visit DT DM. A+++

The hotel is very nice & clean, but I really wish they'd enforce the no smoking outside the front doors. Fine if you wanna smoke, but please don't force me to get lung cancer by blowing your nasty smoke in my face! San Diego REALLY needs to follow San Luis Obispo, which I hear is like the first 100% smoke-free city!! Good for them; I hope other CA cities follow suit...for our health & children's health!

Pool: First time we went, very cold water. The next few times, nicer & a bit warmer. They only have 1 jacuzzi and it's pretty much kid soup all the time (they could still heat it a little more in my opinion, but it's better than other pools I've been in). B-/C+

But they really need to put soap in the pool bathrooms, both the men/women's didn't have soap, YUCK! My only complaint (but it's w/ all hotels) is when these parents bring their little kids/infants in the jacuzzi. They need to have an adults only jacuzzi or 16+ and over (and enforce it). It's really hard to relax w/ screaming 'lil kids splashing water at you (or heaven forbid, pooping & shutting it down!).

Rooms: First few times we got a one bed room in corner and it was really noisy (traffic), the last time we got two beds in room in better location which was way quieter, so that's what we'll be requesting from now on. Very clean, standard room. whhile comfy, I do wish their beds were bigger. It's really hard to get a good night sleep in a double bed. So from now on, even when travelling as a couple, we'll be getting the two bed room. Rooms: B/Beds: D

Nice amentity: they'll accomodate you if you have special needs. I needed fridge/microwave for my meds (and they normally charge), but didn't charge me. I hate being nickel & dimed so this was very appreciated and another sign of great management! A+++

Housekeeping: Pretty good, they provide extra towel, replenish whatever you ask for, etc. A

Business Center: Nice 'lil perk - even though there's only 2 computers- it's free & they let you print stuff for free. Wow, nice classy service. Way to make us feel valued! A+

Gym: Small, few machines/weights. We never used it, but there's a water cooler in there which is nice so you don't have to drink warm tap water (or just go to front desk & they give you free water bottles). C

Overall, I think this hotel is best for:
1. Business Travellers
2. Practical couples who want great value/bang for their buck

Note: July 2010 they're undergoing renovations of their restaurant area

Special thanks to:
Barbara- a total gem (hope your cut is healed!)
Ramaz- what a gentleman, always calling us as we check in to ensure everything is to our satisfacation
Tim- a very well mannered shuttle driver- total sweetheart
Brandon- another great shuttle driver who's a total sweetheart
We had less interaction with (but also positive experience): Tom & Kent

Overall, this DT is very well managed. Every time we do our little SD escapes, this is the hotel we'll be seeking out to be staying at. We are LOYAL customers and have told all of our friends how wonderfully well we've always been treated (yes, the cookies do help! ha ha!).

We expect to stay here several more times this year...and in upcoming years.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Have safe & happy travels!!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We have previously stayed at the Marriott across the street, but preferred the Doubletree.

Pros:
Yummy cookies at check-in
Extraordinarily friendly and helpful staff
No parking fees
No business center fees
No resort fees
Nice room with flat screen hotel
We had a view of the pool and tropical garden instead of the air con system like we do when we stay at the Marriott
Reasonably priced room service

Cons:
Don't care for the sliding bathroom door - hard to maneuver, especially late at night
Took forever to pick up room service dishes that were left outside rooms - hours and hours - even after we called. Seems like it would attract insects or even rodents. This was pretty disgusting. How hard is it for the housekeeper or someone to make rounds a few times a day to pick up the trays?
The location is in a business park and you really need a car if you stay here. It isn't far from either downtown San Diego (maybe 20 minutes driving) or the beaches up north.

Aside from the few negative points above, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We chose this hotel because of our dog. It is pet friendly! There is a "potty" area near the front entrance which was very convenent. The hotel is located in an business office area with lots of grassy areas, safe for exercising your dog. The hotel staff were very friendly. The room itself was average but very clean. Beds were extremely comfortable. The breakfast buffet came as part of our stay, lots of chooses, very tasty. The pool, jacuzzi, and "baby" pool were very nice. All in all we had a great time.

Negitive- sliding bathroom door very difficult to open, carpet was worn, could not get hooked up to WI-FI.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I arrived at this hotel on June 19, 2010, staying one evening. I am a Silver Hilton Honors member and impressed by this beautiful hotel. I arrived early and was able to get to my room around 11:00 a.m. Tom, who was the front desk professional, helped me in this regard. Tom was also helpful in acknowledging my birthday that same day and gave me waters and cookies. He also helped coordinate a shuttle ride, I needed.

My room was #506 and was clean and bright and overlooked the pool.
I used the business center on two occasions and found it quiet and helpful.
The pool area is very beautiful and relaxing too.

This particular weekend was super busy because of the San Diego Fair. I was told that the shuttle driver was taking me directly to the Fairgrounds. Halfway through the ride, the driver, whose name I did not get, but he was a young man about 26, he informed me that he could not take me all the way to the Fairgrounds that he was dropping me off at a bus stop at the Horse Grounds and I would be driven by another bus to the Fair. That he had to get back to the hotel to drive other guests. It is a shame he couldn't have told me ahead of time. I was stressed out because he was truthful from the beginning. Otherwise I would have taken a cab. I am from Florida and am not familiar with this area.

I ate breakfast the next morning in the restaurant. I had the buffet and it was okay, not great. Cynamon was very professional.

Upon check out, Ramez was the front desk professional and helped me to my destination of Camino Road by driving the shuttle there.

So kudos to Tom, Cynamon and Ramez for helping me in their fair city.

• Stayed June 2010
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We signed up for a room with two Queen beds. We got a room with one Queen bed and a sofa pull-out. We called down and were told there were no King beds or two queens available now but a room was being cleaned and we could get that; that we should leave our bags in the room and the luggage would be moved when we got back.

We had to attend a function so when we got back 5 hours later; a little before 11pm, we checked with the front desk. Our things had not been moved and there was no obvious room available. The guy at the front desk hemmed and hawed and finally offered us two rooms. "Oh, you are married? " He said. "I guess then I can offer you a king size bed in the Junior Suite." So we dragged our own bags from our old room to the new room.

Meanwhile, at the from desk I noticed that a woman with a small child who showed me her printed Expedia confirmation, was being held up by another front desk woman who had said she had no listed reservation despite the confirmation. She had actually called Expedia, been put on hold, left it on speakerphone at the front desk and walked into the backroom leaving the front desk unmanned for the whole time we were there. It was almost 11 at night and this poor woman and a child were being held up because of this. Poor form.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!