“Very Welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Orangevale, California
“Very Welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stay at the Doubletree Del Mar mostly for business, but a few times a year I bring folks with me. The staff is always welcoming, and the rooms and grounds are very comfortable. The hotel is a bit out of the way, but the staff is always willing to take you places in the van. They have taken me shopping, into Del Mar of Dinner, or even to the beach. They drop you off and you call when you want to come back.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Long Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had a large group of family in town for a wedding and we all stayed here! The hotel staff were so gracious and nice to everyone. Great stay for all - rooms, pool, bar, restaurant, and strong coffee in the morning!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel is off to the side of the Del Mar town, and in a office/mall complex. We only stayed here one night, and the stay was fine and efficient. If you are in Del Mar for business, or only need a place to "sleep", then this is a good choice. However, if you are interested in exploring the area, and soaking in some of the local charm, there are better choices. The hotel is exactly what you would expect from a Doubletree located anywhere else in the USA, nothing more and nothing less. A bit sterile. The cookies at check in are always a nice touch, but the broken coffee maker was annoying.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
DelMarDoubleTree, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear JNelson,

We appreciate your business. Although the DoubleTree Del Mar is located in a business park, we are located less than a mile from the Torrey Pines beach and Del Mar beaches. The good news is that we offer a complimentary shuttle within a 6 mile radius of the our hotel and our parking and WiFi are free! This is a great value compared to the two properties directly located in the town of Del Mar.

I hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Del Mar.

At Your Service,

Ian Heffron
DoubleTree San Diego Del Mar
Peoria, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Overall the hotel is exquisite. Upon arrival there were a couple of minor issues with the bathroom which are a big turn off for me.. beard trimmings in the sink, no bath floor matt, otherwise ok. Also I paid for room with view of pool but received room overlooking the dining room instead. I COULD see a sliver of a corner of the pool so I didnt press it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed at the Doubletree on El Camino Real in San Diego for one night on a business trip and it was very nice. I had a room overlooking the pool area. The Wi-Fi was included in the room price and I had no problem signing up. The room was nicely appointed and very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

San Diego, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Like and used the early check in option. Reservation, and desk staff were helpful. The coffee pot in the room was hidden in a pull out drawer and I was not told it was there. I went downstairs to the breakfast to see if I could get a cup of coffee and a cold box of cereal to go, as I had to be at an early meeting and the breakfast was not open for another 15 minutes, I was told I could not have coffee and if I wanted a box(s) of cereal to eat on the way, I had to pay for it. I ended up having to go the entire day without eating as I was unable to get away during the day to get something to eat. The woman at the eating area who refused my request based on 15 minutes, was very rude and condescending. I rated the value as poor as I was unable to take advantage of the free breakfast that was offered as part of my reservation. I rated the service as average because although the desk service was good, the overwhelming rudeness of the woman in the eating area and the fact I had to go without eating for an entire day because of her was pathetic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DelMarDoubleTree, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Denise,

I am very sorry for your experience. I actually shared your review during our daily pre-shift meeting today as an example of how associate empowerment should work. There is no excuse; coffee should be available and cereal to go is so easy for our team to execute. I apologize for the rudeness you experienced as well.

Thank you for your business and I can assure you that we learn from your valuable feedback.

At Your Service,

Ian Heffron
DoubleTree San Diego Del Mar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here for a Friday and Saturday wedding event recently, and was very surprised and pleased. Had never stayed in Doubletree before. The rooms were stylish and clean, with very comfortable beds. They have the fluffiest most luxurious towels! Was not bothered by any noise, as the rooms seem to be well-insulated. REALLY GOOD BLACKOUT CURTAINS!

The most OUTSTANDING feature of the hotel was the uniformly friendly, kind, helpful and intelligent staff! It started with the front desk, and was evident everywhere, right down to the restaurant servers and housekeeping. This alone will make me seek out Doubletree next time I have a need.

I had the hot buffet for breakfast both days, and it was very good. The staff was excellent with my grandchildren.

I loved the free parking (hotel is in a business park) and free wifi, which is why I chose this hotel over the Marriott across the street, where some other family members chose to stay. Overall, it seems that my experiece at Doubletree trumped the Marriott in quite a few ways.

The room rate was also good. I will definitely return to this hotel when I'm in the area!

Room Tip: My room was near the elevators, yet I heard no noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!