“Awesome place for a "Staycation"!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11915 El Camino Real, San Diego, CA 92130-2539   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #59 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Awesome place for a "Staycation"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Full disclosure: I'm a native San Diegan who lives close to this hotel, but we decided to stay here while our home was being tented for termites. I felt like I was on vacation here! The location helps as it is mere minutes away from Torrey Pines State reserve/beach, as well as some of the Southern Del Mar beaches. We stayed in a corner suite with a great view of the pool area. The suite was amazing, a nice home away from home, and they provided us with a small refrigerator so we could bring our own food for some meals. (I highly recommend Jimbo's grocery store down the street from the hotel if you need/want to buy food.)
The dining area is nice and we had the breakfast buffet which is reasonably priced for "all you can eat". My husband loved the omelet station and I liked the steel cut oatmeal. But they had everything in between too.
The outdoor patio/pool area is beautiful, especially at night when all the lights are on & they light the gas fires at your table! This was awesome ambiance for our affordable happy hour.
I think my only complaint would have to be how small the gym is. They do have nice equipment, but it's a little cramped.
Service here is outstanding. Everyone who helped us at the front desk & dining areas/bar was fantastic, especially Marco.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the upper floors of the Southwest side have nice pool views and sky views at sunset...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
West Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

When traveling to Del Mar there are many options to choose from and the DoubleTree Del Mar should be at the top of the list! The parking is complimentary which is fantastic since other hotels in the area are as much as $25. To top it off, internet is complimentary in the room and throughout the entire hotel. It makes it much easier to log on and just check your email or change a flight and not have to pay for it. Of course you cannot pass on one of the warm chocolate chip cookies handed out at check in! The rooms are recently renovated and very relaxing. The food is amazing and offers something for everyone and they even allowed me to get a little creative and create my own meal. The staff is very helpful and kind and on top of their game. If you are here when the sun is out the pool is incredibly relaxing as is the hot tub. Of course not everyone has a car so the hotel shuttle will take you anywhere withing 6 miles. All and all this is the perfect hotel in Del Mar and I would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk about upgrades upon check in. They are just a few dollars and worth it to have a...
Billerica, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I were there on business. A typical business class hotel, in a business park area. The wait staff was excellent. Great service and great attitudes from everyone. Food was good, we opted to order off the breakfast menu rather than have the buffet. We had dinner the first night we were there and it was very good. Gym area is very small, but it had a couple of treadmills, elipticals and few free weights. It didn't matter that much to me, as I am a runner and was content with a treadmill. Cleaning service was great. The hallways had a sulfur-septic smell which was very unpleasant, but our room did not have that odor....thankfully!!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was my second experience at this particular hotel, both times because the Marriott was booked.

This is one of the nicer Doubletree properties I've found, well maintained with spacious rooms. I found them somewhat overpriced but didn't have a lot of choices. It suited my needs for a two night business stay.

La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here and it was perfectly pleasant. My only complaints were due to the location, although that isn't really something they could fix, and this is the hotel mandated my employer, despite it not being very close to our office. They do offer a free shuttle, just be sure to give plenty of notice (30+ min) if you need a ride anywhere.

The rooms are nice and clean, and the breakfast buffet & omelette bar were great. The workout facilities are small and a little crowded/hot, but I suppose that all depends on when you visit.

As with any Doubletree, the cookies were warm, free and plentiful, so plus one star for that :)

Plattsburg, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Doubletree was pet friendly and a great stay. The grounds and the resturant were great. We had our son and two grandsons with us which had an adjoining room and they loved the hotel. The front desk people were super.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have to travel on business on a weekly basis and I have been using them for the last few months. The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly but I am disappointed with rooms, the breakfast, and the hotel itself. I had much higher expectations for a Hiltion brand and I am disappointed.

Room Tip: Pool view or pure rooms are better if you can get them for same price as other rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!