“Very good experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Minnesota
“Very good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

We just spent 4 nights there as part of our family vacation to the San Diego area and we had a great experience at this hotel. Everything was very clean and felt relatively new. Very nice pool and workout facilities. Very convenient to local attractions, including La Jolla, the beach and Torrey Pines. Convenient shopping and restaurants nearby. Great for adults and kids. I highly recommend. (fyi, we paid the std internet rate, somewhere around $140).

Only minor complaint is there is a lot of traffic noise sitting by the pool as it is very near a couple of busy roads.

• Liked — very clean, new, fresh feeling
  • Disliked — traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
West Hollywood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

I landed this hotel via Priceline at a bid of $52.00. The hotel web rate was $139.00. The hotel is located near the 5 and 56 freeways so its very convenient to alot of tourist locations like Torrey Pines State Park. Importantly, this hotel is located near a business park. There is a Marriott and Hampton Inn across the street.

I checked in on a Friday afternoon. There was a little bit of a wait but the clerk was friendly upon check-in. Priceline was mentioned when I asked for a room on a high floor that was quiet. Fortunately, I did get a warm cookie. I was given Room 355 which is down a long hallway and with a view of the business park and the 56 freeway. I could hear car noise when sitting near the window. So the clerk was friendly but really did not honor my request.

The lobby area is relatively small. They have a gift shop right next to the front desk that sells soda and munchies. It is nothing special. Off of the lobby was a bar, restaurant, and meeting rooms. Down the first floor hallway was the pool area, fitness center, and business center.

The pool area was nicely designed although one hears traffic from the 5 and 56 freeways. The fitness room was equipped with a bunch of aerobic equipment and free weights. The aerobic equiptment had small tv's which made the work out go faster. There were free weights to use but no weight machines.

My room was adequate but nothing special. The room came with one queen bed, a desk, and a couch. There were two telephones but no refrigerator, mini-bar or microwave. I don't see it as a family friendly hotel. Also, one pays $9.95 to access the internet. On the plus side parking is free.

The bathroom was nice with Neutrogena products. Towels were fluffly and soft. I thought it was strange the bathroom door was a track that you had to roll to close. It did not roll very smoothly and made the door hard to close. It was kind of a weird set-up.

The hotel offers room service. Prices were expensive so I walked up the street to the local supermarket. They had lots of prepared foods so it was easy to grab a plate of food and walk back to my room. There were other food places in this mall including nicer restaurants as well as Subway like places.

Overall, I cannot complain about my stay especially with the Priceline rate -- but this would not be a hotel I would rush back to.

• Liked — A comfortable bed
  • Disliked — I could hear freeway noise from my room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

We just finished a great mini-vacation with my wife and 5-year old grandson. Great facility. Close to the I-5 freeway. Twenty minutes from the Airport. Close to the beach. We went to Legoland (15 minutes), Disneyland (an hour and 15 minutes) and Sea World (15 minutes). Staff was great. Bar (which I needed after a hard day a Disney with a 5-year old) was excellent. Clean facility. Lots of business travelers, but very customer-friendly for families. Pool and hot tub were great. Made for a great mini-vacation! I recommend this place highly.

Stayed March 2008
Long Beach, CA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

To begin with, we "won" this hotel through Priceline for less than 1/2 of the going rate on the hotel's website. With that said, I would have still been happy with my experience even if I had booked direct through the hotel for around $139/night. Not only was Priceline never mentioned... to the contrary we were met with excellent customer service. It started with a smiling face and warm cookies for my entire family. We got an unsolicited follow-up call about 10 minutes after entering the room just to see if everything was OK, and to see if we needed any additional service! The room was average size, well maintained, and had very comfortable beds. It is located in a bit of an industrial area, but if you have a car it is convenient to all of the area attractions (it's about 1/2 way between Seaworld and Legoland). As it turns out the only assistance we would require would be after we left. We forgot a pair of jeans that had valuable ear rings in one of the pockets that belong to my 10 year old daughter (they are her only real jewlry, and were a gift from her grandma). I called the front desk from home to see if they could look for them. To my delight I got a call back the next day and they had located the jeans... with the ear rings still in the pockets. They arranged to ship them back to me, and even provided another follow-up call to give me the tracking number! I got the jeans, ear rings and all, 2 days later! Such honest and customer service is very rare these days.

• Liked — The staff, room comfort, and price.
  • Disliked — Location is a bit industrial... but not really much of a factor if you've got a car.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oak Park CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed at the Doubletree Del Mar over President's Day weekend. The hotel is mostly business focused and is located near freeways, in a business park setting. However, we found the location convenient for traveling amongst the various, area attractions, such as La Jolla and Torrey Pines State Reserve.

The hotel itself was nice, clean, and comfortable, with the standard Doubletree cookies at check-in. We had a room overlooking the pool and marsh, which was very nice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Parking was plentiful and free.

We discovered at check-in that the hotel only have a few rooms (four, I believe) with king-size beds, despite the website listings. Most guests will receive a queen size bed at check-in, even if they requested / booked a king. Also, internet access from the room is only available for a fee.

• Liked — Cleanliness, price
  • Disliked — No good restaurants within walking distance; located in business park
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

Great deal in December. I have never stayed at a Doubletree before, and frankly, I was a bit afraid! (Fairmont and Ritz, yes, but what is a Doubletree?)
It was great. Free Parking. Great cookie w/ check in. Great location. Beds were decent. Not 5 star, but really comfortable. Rooms were clean. Maid service wonderful.
No, we didn't have the beds turned down in the late afternoon, nor were bathrobes provided, but it was a delightful cheap and cheerful vacation, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
I actually liked the fact you could "do your thing" at the hotel without having to interface w/ alot of employees~
A great stay and I will not hesitate to book there again.

• Liked — Location and comfort w/ ease of use.
  • Disliked — I had to leave?
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

Great location just off the I-5, near to Del Mar and near to restaurants/supermarkets if you want to stay local.
Buffet breakfast was good, attentive staff, bar ok, room was clean, spacious and the bed was super comfy.

Don't stay here if you are on vacation as it is away from the Del Mar/San Diego attractions but for a business traveller, I would definitely recommend.

• Liked — The bed !
  • Disliked — Bar was lacking atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!